• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I type a Reply. I press SEND. It disappears. Now what
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This topic was broached briefly on the current technical vs. market grading thread.  As a reply there would be :signofftopic:, I have taken the liberty of doing so here.  

For anyone who may have experienced this, allow me to elucidate...

Drawing on my many years as an intermittent thorn in Moderation's side, I will cite two possibilities as to why this may happen.  The first is obvious: your reply was censored, pure and simple. If you TAP that large white space formerly occupied by your Pultizer-prize quality contribution to further the "body of knowledge" of this hobby, and it comes up blank, your reply was dispatched to the Twilight Zone. Appeal?  Surely you jest!

Scenario Two:  Your reply disappears after you press SEND. If you are otherwise upright, blameless, and without sin, have no fear.  There are times when the NGC Coin Collectors Chat Board (yes, it is, at times, very busy) has simply parked your reply on what I refer to as a "siding" "spur," or "queue," until such time as the Moderator can review its contents. If you are given to making inappropriate comments or contents that incite, or have a history of making same, you may or may not be able to resurrect your comment, with a black box at the end of the space for replies marked CLEAR EDITOR or an X.  Some threads have a tendency to gallop at full speed. If you manage to raise your thread, DO NOT PRESS "CLEAR EDITOR" or you will lose it completely and irretrievably. Press X instead and you'll be In Like Flint.

Very often, the thread has progressed and is so far along, your reply may no longer be relevant to the matter at hand. It's your call as to whether you wish to introduce it.  Sometimes, your reply, out of sight and out of mind, skips your mind entirely.  You are apprised of that when you prepare a thought, press tap on an empty space only to find a reply you had written long ago re-surfaces and upon reading it, decide it lacks both spontaneity and relevance. You press X. Problem resolved.

If you are on double-secret probation, like I am, serving at the pleasure of top management, I am only as good as my last palatable post. If you are an upstanding member, and find your reply inexplicably parked on a siding/spur/queue, not to worry, the Moderator may be involved in a pitched battle between, or amongst, combatants elsewhere, and when all is said and done, and volume becomes manageable, he or she will permit you to have your say. Some Moderators go the extra mile and place your reply back in context so as not to disrupt the threads train of thought.

Editorial comment: At present, there are no certified trolls infesting the threads, and Moderation, I believe, has never been better in the five years I have been here. But to quote a much esteemed member:  "I was there. You were not."

(Posted at the discretion of Moderation.)

Edited by Henri Charriere
Moderate die polishing.

Malheureusement, (Unfortunately) the veteran seasoned members who've chimed in thus far, are of irrepproachable virtue.  They can do no wrong.  It's simply not in their DNA.  I believe it was the irrepressible z who suggested my vaunted status deserving of special attention from Moderation, was the product of an overactive imagination.  Not so. In point of fact, I am unable to post anything, directly, without interference from roughly 11:59 PM, Friday, clear thru 11:59 PM, Sunday. Period. I believe it fair to say, each member knows exactly where he/she stands as regarding the two Scenarios. I have grown so accustomed to this that I have taken to keeping a running log of topics I must return to, to check and see if I am still alive, or dead and stinkin'.  Either way, my attitude is the same:  Man, I love this place!  🤣  :roflmao:  :)

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2024 at 10:17 AM, ldhair said:

I don't believe the mods look at your post before they can be seen by others....

Negative. NEGATIVE!  One Mod I had apparently attempted to evade his stern gaze at 4 in the morning, scrambled everything I attempted to write AS I WROTE IT! He artfully discombobulated all my words, in effect, made expressing my thoughts incoherent. I was so busy writing, re-writing, and going back to re-write what I had written two or three lines up, that I abandoned the effort and suddenly realized my faux pas: it was past midnight on a weekend! There is no greater crime I can commit than attempting to commit a felony with my frisky thumb on a weekend.  I visualized a Moderator standing there and savoring the moment:  "What we have here, is a failure to communicate."  Put yourself in that gentleman's place.  He effected your removal, i.e. banishment, permanently, THREE times, something rare, if not unusual, and who shows up fresh from Siberia with his 🐓  in tow?  Yours truly!  I know I would be livid.

As I have stated on a number of occasions, the arsenal and heavy artillery at Moderation's beck and call is mind-boggling.  I did what any rational person would do, I withdrew quietly, and did so politely.  Somewhere in the Scriptures is the verse which states, in part:  "the fear of the lord is the beginning of knowledge..."  Pr 9-10. Substitute "mods" for "lord" and by Jove, you've got it!

Edited by Henri Charriere
Further die polishing for clarity.

On 7/5/2024 at 7:10 AM, J P M said:

Now the short version.

if your reply does not post go back to the thread and try to post it again. 9 times out of 10 you post will pop up and you can resubmit it.

Why did you have to tell him this JP, less is more when it comes to QA.

On 7/5/2024 at 5:56 PM, ldhair said:

I don't believe you. 

It's quite understandable you don't because the reality is much, much worse.

I am here five years. Unbeknownst but to the most observant, you Liked a post of mine, and took it a step further, you replied to one of my posts. I am in a surprisingly good mood.

Today, my wife and I celebrated our eighth wedding anniversary.

You do not believe me.  Would it surprise you to find out roughly 99.47% of what I write never sees its way into print? I have reached an accommodation with NGC.  Instead of banning me, I proposed they simply delete anything I write, no explanation necessary. The reason why that works is simplicity. If I wish to express myself or be heard, I tailor my response accordingly. I tell you, it's a Wonderful World. I do not believe there is another collection of forums as fine as  these are anywhere in the world.

CTRL+C to save it in case there's a glitch.  It's probably a "handoff" issue between the site and the specific hardware/software you are running.  Clearing out the cache and/or cookies...or even a simple re-boot/re-start....might fix the glix.

I find that when it does happen, the stuff I typed is STILL THERE when I attempt to re-type even before I CTRL+V what I saved.