• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MS60?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Once again, it's quite difficult to grade coins from photos. This 1918 Illinois commemorative half dollar does appear to be mint state, unimpaired, and likely a higher grade than MS 60, which would be a coin that is heavily marked and/or very dull, spotted, or lackluster. There could be "rub" or other issues that I can't see in the photos.

By way of comparison, PCGS graded this example of the same issue MS 64:

1918Ilinoiscommem_cert..thumb.jpg.ccc94d6087dd8de2f80084b91c655617.jpg

While I think you have a commemorative half that has original surfaces, it is possible it may have been "dipped" and could grade as details for "cleaned". That could only be ascertained by having the coin in hand which you do. If it were to numerically grade, I think you would be MS 63 at best as I see some marks on both sides of the coin in the fields and also one dimple on Abe on the obverse from being mishandled or just stored improperly at some point in the past. These marks I feel would surely preclude it from achieving an MS 64 grade.

It is a nice coin though! Cool!

"...sli(t) Abe on his nose."???!

What about the tine marks from the fork that crazed woman struck him with in the neck just below the ear?  Those three tine marks are as clear as day!  Did they catch her? Was she prosecuted? Some enquiring minds want to know!

In all fairness to Carter-of-mars, I may be completely wrong, and if correct, the problem may be beyond your capability, but the magnification you used needs further magnification. I see some minor bruises which would detract from a higher grade, but no one can convince me, figuratively from the "Show Me" state, that this lovely 200+ year old relic is not a Mint State specimen. (I assume the gold half is worth more.) 🤣

On 7/5/2024 at 8:33 PM, Henri Charriere said:

"...sli(t) Abe on his nose."???!

What about the tine marks from the fork that crazed woman struck him with in the neck just below the ear?  Those three tine marks are as clear as day!  Did they catch her? Was she prosecuted? Some enquiring minds want to know!

In all fairness to Carter-of-mars, I may be completely wrong, and if correct, the problem may be beyond your capability, but the magnification you used needs further magnification. I see some minor bruises which would detract from a higher grade, but no one can convince me, figuratively from the "Show Me" state, that this lovely 200+ year old relic is not a Mint State specimen. (I assume the gold half is worth more.) 🤣

Huh?

Okay, alright... how 'bout we take this from the top.

In the OP's photo array, clearly visible to anyone who has a discriminating eye, are THREE PUNCTURE MARKS, arranged vertically and evenly spaced directly under the right ear.  For lack of a better instrument which could have caused these non-fatal wounds I arbitrarily attribute them to a mythical woman who assaulted the president (in much the way a crazed woman assaulted MLK in New York with a penknife.) Malheureusement, I am assessing each mark with three demerits. Sandon has kindly furnished us with a photo, courtesy PCGS, which displays no such marks.

The other matter concerns something which may very well be beyond the OP's control: Maintaining sharp focus under increased magnification.  I am unable to tell if the questionable, otherwise indistinguishable areas I see are due to wear (whatever the cause) or a deficit in focus.

As the venerable Kurt has already (earlier) volunteered his assessment wrought by a mountain of considerable experience, I would be a fool to argue with him, hence, my safe guess:  the coin lies squarely within MINT STATE TERRITORY.  And, if perchance, I am overruled, I shall continue to state with confidence: It ought to!

Edited by Henri Charriere
Minor die polishing.