• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Picked up at a yard sale
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hello I got 7 jefferson nickel books dated from 1938 to now which 2 are complete and 10 pennies books dated from 1909 to now or 1941 to nowadays some proof sets as well. all this I got from a yard sale and one of the books had a note for uncirculated pennies on it. There is a whole bunch from 59 to 84. But there is 2 pennies I am curious on cause I never seen them before 1984 pennies with state stamp on the observed side. And it also had 2 1943 Steel Pennies no mint mark that 1 is in pristine condition and 1 has mild corrosion on the edge and back side. Would it be worth getting graded??

20240701_091619.jpg

20240701_091610.jpg

20240701_092235.jpg

On 7/1/2024 at 2:49 PM, TLC9088 said:

Hello I got 7 jefferson nickel books dated from 1938 to now which 2 are complete and 10 pennies books dated from 1909 to now or 1941 to nowadays some proof sets as well. all this I got from a yard sale and one of the books had a note for uncirculated pennies on it. There is a whole bunch from 59 to 84. But there is 2 pennies I am curious on cause I never seen them before 1984 pennies with state stamp on the observed side. And it also had 2 1943 Steel Pennies no mint mark that 1 is in pristine condition and 1 has mild corrosion on the edge and back side. Would it be worth getting graded??

Welcome to the forum, the simple answer is no neither coin is worth the cost of having graded.   The counter stamped 84 cent would be considered as damaged and would not be graded or graded as a details coin.   These state counterstamps were used on many coins for various promotional products or sold as novelty items at truck stops.

From your photo the 43 cent looks like a typical reprocessed coin, if so it would also not be graded or receive a details grade.

Edited by Coinbuf

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

The 1943 cents appear to have been lightly circulated pieces that were "reprocessed" or "replated" to appear uncirculated, as many thousands were. Original pieces are frosty, not shiny like these. (On original pieces, the edges should be dull, as they were not zinc coated.) Replated pieces are worth well under a dollar each, as are pieces that are worn or corroded.

The 1984 cent was privately counterstamped with the outline of a state for sale as a novelty in a gift shop. Coin collectors consider this a damaged coin with no numismatic value.

Only a coin that is worth at least several hundred dollars is worth the considerable cost of submitting to a third-party grading service, which is what I assume you mean by "getting graded". Less valuable pieces may be enjoyably collected in albums like those you bought these in. Before you even think about submitting coins to grading services, it is essential that you be able to reasonably grade and otherwise evaluate coins yourself. Please see the following topic for basic print and online resources from which you may begin your education if you want to collect coins successfully:

Thanks for the information.Did the reprocessing of coins was that a private or from the mints cause the book i have all the lincoln pennies from 45 to 84 all look the same for condition wise. This is some of the collection I got. What years should I look for in pennies I have 1909 to 1989 in multiple books and for nickels it's 1938 to 1989. One book is a 2 inch binder completely full in order all jefferson nickels and varies from 1938 to 1988

20240630_135003.jpg

Hello and welcome!

I would get myself a copy of the Red Book of United States Coins, 2025. You can use the book to self evaluate the grade of each coin and then apply that to the listed values in the book to see at a simple baseline what you might have in the folders. Be aware, many times the reverse is what you might need to look at to better figure out grade from the guide in the book, so if you have to remove any coins to look at the reverses, be sure to either put on some clean gloves, or at a minimum handle the coins only by their edges. Do not touch the flat surfaces as you can impart your skin oils onto the coin which will set the stage for unsightly marking or opening the door to environmental damage. Also, store your folders in a cool, dry place that is temperature and humidity controlled.

Nice to have a jump start with these full albums!   (thumbsu    Many collectors start from scratch.