• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dime - no i on the word dime
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Please post clear, cropped photos of each full side of a coin about which you have questions, not just closeups and not pixilated shots of your computer screen. There may be aspects of the coin that would be relevant to our replies that can't be seen in the closeup. You should be able to transmit images directly from your computer.

From what I can see, this Roosevelt dime, whose date and mint you don't reveal, may have been struck from a filled die, meaning that the "I" in the reverse die from which the coin was struck was filled with "grease" or other foreign matter. This would be considered a minor mint error worth perhaps a few dollars as a novelty, a small fraction of what it would cost to have it graded (minimum $19) and attributed as an error ($18) by NGC, not including processing and shipping costs.

Contrary to what you may have seen on some websites, it is extremely unusual to find any significant mint error, die variety, or other valuable coin in circulation. You won't get rich by checking your change, although you may find pieces like this to collect if you find them interesting.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

How slim would the chance be that only one letter would be perfectly filled in the die? Most strike through errors affect either one small part of an element (say half of the I), or many of the elements (as in E DIM of ONE DIME). I understand that I don't see typical grinding markings, but I say this was created by foul play.