• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1889 3 Cent Piece
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Since I am New to collecting this type of coinage, I would appreciate any information I can get. I ran across this coin that I have not been able to find any references to and am not sure if it is real or a fake. Please take a look at what appears to be a die clash on the reverse. When rotated upside down the nose, face, and chin are clearly visible to the right (Coming out of the numeral ). All opinions are welcome !

Thanks Everyone

3C-Obv-A1.jpg

20240625_142040-B.jpg

20240625_142040-C.jpg

I have a topic about copper nickel three cent pieces, a.k.a. "three cent nickels" (1865-1889), which now includes images of coins of at least one of each date from my own collection:

Unfortunately, the coin whose image you posted is an obvious counterfeit, apparently mounted in a bogus certified holder. (PCGS?) I can't remember seeing a fake "three cent nickel" before but understand that vast quantities of fakes of most coins are being produced in China. Here are images of a genuine, Extremely Fine or so, 1889:

18893CNobv..thumb.jpg.7a0d84dfa25761b5a47367f0466cc546.jpg

18893CNrev..thumb.jpg.6f8c394a43f35ec6572e655ec25c2164.jpg

Unfortunately now, China can replicate nearly any coin so nothing is safe. I saw an ad on one Chinese site that stated that if you sent them a coin, they would replicate it in any quantity you want. Some of them are not as easy to spot as the 3 cent posted. On this one the font of UNITED STATES OF AMERiCA  is not even close so it was easy to identify as counterfeit.

The numerals, lettering, and denticles as well as the rim are very far off from an original example. This is a poor attempt to try to deceive.

It seems they used imagery of a clashed reverse to produce this fake, possibly to try to add credence in the attempt to make it believable as many of these 3 Cent Nickels throughout the series had specimens produced from clashed dies. Even though they tried this it looks to me like they overly enhanced this clash effect, maybe just my opinion, but most of the clashes were not very strong except for small handfuls of those produced. I think there are more examples with subtle clashing than highly pronounced clashing.