• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Missing digit on Lincoln cent
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I agree that the weak letters and final date digit are likely the result of a partially "filled" die.    

On 6/26/2024 at 3:03 PM, Coinbuf said:

Vending machines do not and have not accepted cent coins.   

Actually, I remember small machines that delivered a gumball or a small handful of nuts or pieces of candy for a cent back in the 1960s and 1970s. These "gumball machines" consisted of a clear glass container containing the product and a simple hand operated mechanical mechanism that one turned after the cent was inserted to deliver the product mounted on a metal rod and stand. They were commonly found in gas stations and the lobbies of restaurants and grocery stores in those days.

More to the point: would the OP be so kind as to elucidate how a ponderous vending machine can perform neutering so surgically precise as to leave no sign of a surgical scar much less, an abrasion on bare metal?  No one can duplicate this feat, as alleged, for all the money in the world. IMNSHO.

Thank you all for the replies.  Coinbuf, when I was a kid in the 70's, I would get a penny at the grocery store for the penny gumball machine.  Henri, you insert the coin and turn a handle which rotated the coin, which I assumed could wear off the outer edge, causing the wearing of "In God We Trust" too.  

Any guesses what it could be worth?  I

On 6/26/2024 at 6:31 PM, Tom9145 said:

Any guesses what it could be worth?  

What it may be worth is anyone's guess. 

I have decided it is a 1971 and unusual as to be unique.  If there were any other cents bearing this distinctive birth mark, surely they would have surfaced by now.

Accordingly, alhough the mere contemplation of offering goods for sale other than on the Coin Marketplace is expressly forbidden, a Best Offer is not.  Mine is $37 Million... Firm, and not one cent more!  🤣

A minor error like this sometimes is offered as a novelty for a dollar or two. It has no significant value but is an interesting find nevertheless. Contrary to what you may have seen on certain websites, major mint errors and other coins of significant value are hardly ever found among circulating coins.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I as well would keep this coin. It appears to be a legitimate minor error for a partially filled die. Missing the date numeral is not something you see all the time, and I think this one is just dandy as a specimen. Nice find! (thumbsu

Did you recover this from circulation in change for something?

On 6/26/2024 at 2:36 PM, Sandon said:

I agree that the weak letters and final date digit are likely the result of a partially "filled" die.    

Actually, I remember small machines that delivered a gumball or a small handful of nuts or pieces of candy for a cent back in the 1960s and 1970s. These "gumball machines" consisted of a clear glass container containing the product and a simple hand operated mechanical mechanism that one turned after the cent was inserted to deliver the product mounted on a metal rod and stand. They were commonly found in gas stations and the lobbies of restaurants and grocery stores in those days.

...or at the Franklin Street train station in Reading, Pennsylvania.