• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2003 P Penny w/ multiple errors
1 1

23 posts in this topic

This is just a circulated 2003-P nickel struck from well-worn dies (note the grainy, "orange peel"-like surfaces) that acquired numerous nicks and scratches during the distribution process and in circulation. Any "doubling" that you see would be ghostly outlines to the letters known as "die deterioration doubling", which has no collector value.

A coin struck from a doubled die will feature crisp, clear doubling, usually with both images at about the same level and with "notching" between the images, as on this "Red Book" variety 1972 doubled die cent:

1972DDcentobv..thumb.jpg.76e068f5437772876f89e368c420e395.jpg

See also the following resources regarding the differences between die doubling and other, "worthless" forms of doubling:

Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC (ngccoin.com)

https://www.doubleddie.com/144801.html and links therein, one of which concerns die deterioration doubling

On 6/25/2024 at 8:54 PM, Nessa4va said:

I found this penny and it appears to be doubled on the face, building, letters and numbers. Both front and back of the coin. Is this worth anything? I have more pictures but it exceeds the limit. 

20240625_202548.jpg

20240625_202630.jpg

20240625_202844.jpg

20240625_203305.jpg

Doubling on the building. 

On 6/25/2024 at 6:59 PM, Nessa4va said:

See the double image of the chin. And other areas on the coin.

On 6/25/2024 at 7:01 PM, Nessa4va said:

Doubling on the building. 

No and no, none of that is true hub doubling just a poor strike.   Greenstang asked you a good question, do you have any idea what real doubling is?   Because from your posts so far it does not seem that you do, and if you don't know what to look for why are you looking?

The question is not being asked to be mean or rude, its ok to not know everyone starts out at zero.   But going thru coins just pulling out some and posting questions here over and over will get tiring for members here and at some point people will stop answering your questions as it will seem that you are not trying to learn.

Edited by Coinbuf

I'm sorry, but the chin is part of the design and I am not seeing any kind of doubling whatsoever on the building. I maybe see some step like partial secondary image in some of the lettering which to me would be mechanical/strike doubling from a loose die in the press but of no additional value and is seen more as a quality control issue than it is anything else. Sorry.

On 6/26/2024 at 12:04 AM, powermad5000 said:

I'm sorry, but the chin is part of the design and I am not seeing any kind of doubling whatsoever on the building. I maybe see some step like partial secondary image in some of the lettering which to me would be mechanical/strike doubling from a loose die in the press but of no additional value and is seen more as a quality control issue than it is anything else. Sorry.

Did you see the other pic I added.  There is a limit on what you upload. 

On 6/26/2024 at 12:08 AM, Nessa4va said:

Welcome, Sorry to say, It looks like your nickel took a good hit on that area and it is making it look like a double chin. Even if you had something going on with this coin it would not matter because it is to damaged to be worth more than face value.

Please review the articles and images from the links I provided in my previous post. There are many, many coins that exhibit "doubling", but it is not die doubling. It is usually either strike doubling (a.k.a. machine or mechanical doubling) or die deterioration doubling, which are very common and do not have numismatic value.  The "double chin" and other characteristics you note on your 2003-P nickel, which are much shallower than the primary image and have no "notch" between the two images, are clearly not the result of die doubling but appear to me to be the result of die deterioration, possibly combined with strike doubling.  I have seen many coins that look like this and have spent them.

As the die pair that produced this nickel 21 years ago was clearly worn, it would likely have struck several hundred thousand other pieces and if either side had been produced from a doubled die would almost certainly been discovered before now. (Although it is possible that both sides of a coin could have been struck from dies that were doubled, I have never heard of such a variety.) There are no doubled die varieties listed for 2003-P nickels on NGC VarietyPlus, doubleddie.com (which links to another site for the Jefferson nickel series), or varietyvista.com. (The latter two sites list minor as well as major varieties.)

If you like coins that feature this kind of "doubling", you are welcome to collect them, but please don't confuse them with doubled die varieties.

On 6/25/2024 at 11:05 PM, Nessa4va said:

So what do you call the images around the chin and building? I do understand double die. Some are extreme and some are not.

On 6/25/2024 at 11:08 PM, Nessa4va said:

Since you seem hellbent that you have discovered a new variety, I suggest you post these photos to the CONECA forum and return to this thread with their response.

Edited by powermad5000

First, a Doubled Die is a variety, not an error. This means that every coin struck from that die would be the same 
so there could be hundreds of thousands of them out there. If this was the case, I’m sure it would have been discovered and recorded over the last 20 years.

On 6/26/2024 at 8:25 PM, Greenstang said:

First, a Doubled Die is a variety, not an error. This means that every coin struck from that die would be the same 
so there could be hundreds of thousands of them out there. If this was the case, I’m sure it would have been discovered and recorded over the last 20 years.

If this were the case, I'm sure it would have been detected by someone since the advent of TPGSs.  Let's be generous and add another 20 years or so...

Did the CONECA members agree that your coin was struck from a doubled die?

Was the nickel you saw also a 2003-P and did it have exactly the same anomalies in exactly the same places?

Edited by Sandon
added additional question