• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Penny grading question
1 1

27 posts in this topic

I've got about 30 rolls well plastic tubes of uncirculated pennies between 1959 and 1963 are they worth getting graded and what would they possibly be worth if I had graded they are in mint state each roll contains the same year and mint mark

20240625_140622.png

20240625_140631.png

20240625_140644.jpg

Edited by Emmure
Needed to add photos

This is an interesting query.  Only one thousand five-hundred cents!  It will be interesting to see how my fellow Forum members handle this one.

The floor is $15.00. The ceiling is anyone's guess.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Addition to comment.

It would cost more to have 1 coin graded than what a roll is worth.   
Suggest you put them on eBay and sell per roll. You don’t say whether each roll is of the same date    
and which mm is on them which would have to be in the description and could affect the price.   
Being mint state in itself does not make them valuable, there were billions of these minted and many.  
collectors have hoarded rolls. The only ones to have any significant value would be those graded MS67.  
or higher.

It's about time you started reading and learning for yourself. A few questions asked as a new collector here on this forum are welcomed. However, we are not your personal free prescreen grading company or coin consultants. Your posts generally strictly have to do with grade and value questions which indicates you are a profiteer and not a serious collector. As such you will get no assistance from me as to the value or conditions of your coins. You must learn this for yourself as we did. We aren't here to help you make money. Sorry. I urge my fellow members to also follow my lead on OPs such as this. Tough love. It's still love but just tougher. Cheers and have a great day!  

I don't agree with @Mike Meenderink  that we should ignore your posts or with his tone but do agree that it is essential for you to be successful as a collector that you learn for yourself how to grade and otherwise evaluate coins. It is difficult for us to help those who won't help themselves.

Your rolls of 1963-D cents are relics of the "BU roll craze" of the late 1950s to mid-1960s, when collectors and speculators saved large numbers of rolls and mint sewn bags of uncirculated coins.  Those who saved the silver coins did well due to the increasing prices of silver, but there are still large numbers of average uncirculated, low value cents and nickels from that era overhanging the market.  Very few of these coins (perhaps one out of many thousands) would have the high levels of surface preservation, luster, strike, and overall "eye appeal" to achieve sufficiently high mint state grades that would make them worth the cost of submission to a third-party grading service, and you would have to have a great deal of experience to select pieces that would have a reasonable chance of achieving such grades.

You should have at a minimum a current (2025) or recent edition "Red Book", a grading guide, and access to current price guides.    I'm sorry if I've shown you these topics before, but they identify print and online resources that will enable you to gain essential knowledge:

It will also be helpful for you to attend such venues as coin shows and coin club meetings, where you can examine a variety of coins and speak with knowledgeable collectors and dealers.

On 6/25/2024 at 2:59 PM, Sandon said:

I don't agree with @Mike Meenderink  that we should ignore your posts or with his tone but do agree that it is essential for you to be successful as a collector that you learn for yourself how to grade and otherwise evaluate coins. It is difficult for us to help those who won't help themselves.

Well said. 

If you would like to waste your time giving others values and grades on coins, be my guest. I however value my time and knowledge as to only dispense it to those worthy of it. I have no interest in helping a profiteer make money when they have no real skill in this game. When the post starts with "how much is it worth?" or "should I get this graded?" or my all-time favorite "need help determining value" and no other question about the coin is leveled I can immediately assume the OP is merely looking for a money value reference and nothing more. When members patronize these types of OPs the forum becomes de valued and useless. I am sticking to my no help for repeat profiteering OPs with no knowledge. But hey you do you. Peace out.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Idhair, Sandon and FenntuckyMike will grade and value your coins for you. Just send them a picture of each one. They are so nice, friendly and accommodating that they will take the time to look at each one for you. They will help you make money out of the goodness of their hearts. So inspiring. Hey, let us know what grades they gave each one and how much each one is worth. Great guys.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 6/25/2024 at 4:28 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

I have no interest in helping a profiteer make money when they have no real skill in this game. When the post starts with "how much is it worth?" or "should I get this graded?" or my all-time favorite "need help determining value" and no other question about the coin is leveled I can immediately assume the OP is merely looking for a money value reference and nothing more.

Can I get an "amen" brother? Dr. Jesse Kraft, curator of the American Numismatic SOCIETY (the New York place, not the Colorado Springs place) openly "whined", "complain" is the more charitable term, about the type of inquires described above. It's not only here, or ATS, it's true even at the ANS. He (Dr Kraft) refuses to answer any and all such queries. If someone has a historical question, or a metallurgical one, he'll entertain those, but no "what are they worth" questions. I got to examine the finest New England silver coins this week. Ever held a PCGS MS65 pine tree shilling? I have.

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/25/2024 at 5:29 PM, ldhair said:

A forum for beginner questions about collecting coins - grading / buying / selling / pricing / rarity / packing / shipping / whatever.

Yhea maybe one or two questions on grades or value but when OPs repeatedly post junk asking for only grade or value there's a limit to my charity.

We each have our own ways of enjoying the hobby. Some enjoy helping with information. Some just don't have the time. There is nothing wrong with those that don't care to mess with the newbie madness. We each get to decide our path in the hobby. 

Mike, if a post (or OP) upsets you, that is ok to be upset and it is ok for you to withhold comment or advice or opinion. We all do not have to follow this same path.

What I was going to say to this OP before reading the above comments was that I do not think there would be any cents in those rolls worth submitting to a TPG. These rolls were hoarded by collectors in gem BU by many collectors from about the mid 50's and on. Using my experience of the roll of gem BU 1957 (P) Lincoln Wheat cents given to me roughly 40 years ago by my grandmother who worked at a bank, and said roll which I never opened but stored very well protected, and when I finally began submitting coins to a TPG, I finally decided to open this roll. All were the same date and mintmark so it was a completely unsearched roll of all equivalent coins. This roll was certainly freshly sealed when she picked it and I was the first to open it. I carefully took one coin from the stack at a time and inspected each one. I selected the best two from the roll and submitted them. They both returned as MS 65 RD, the plastic slab being the winner of the deal over the copper coin.

The point of this story is your Lincoln Memorial cent rolls were also hoarded by collectors as the design had changed, but also the mintages went up considerably since the mid 50's. Unless you somehow have an MS 67 RD or higher grade hidden in those rolls, I think you can see where I am going with this.

[Note : I did not mention value in my response] 

On 6/26/2024 at 4:59 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

I apologize for being gruff. I had been deep in research that day and was very tired. I will try to be nicer ...

... and I will fill in for you if you can't. :roflmao:

On 6/26/2024 at 5:54 PM, ldhair said:

I feel sorry for the OP. After being attacked he got nasty and probably got banned for it.  

His profile is still active so I doubt he has been banned.  It takes a lot more than what is on this thread to be banned here.  QA is proof of that.

On 6/26/2024 at 9:13 PM, Coinbuf said:

His profile is still active so I doubt he has been banned.  It takes a lot more than what is on this thread to be banned here.  QA is proof of that.

The fact that the member lives to see another day is a testament  to the flexibility and discretion practiced by Moderation, which, of course, I do not speak of from first-hand personal experience.  🤣

There's that saying, "the government that governs least governs best."  The same could be said for Moderation. To the credit of Moderation, cooler heads prevailed, and what presented itself as a possible career decision, was dispensed with tidily as just another routine judgment call.

Man, I love this place!  :whistle:

(Posted at the discretion of Moderation.)

On 6/25/2024 at 3:25 PM, Frff said:

Fk you

🐓 :  He was in such a hurry to leave, he left his avatar behind.

Q.A. I see... Personally, emmure sounds demure, and I like it, but what's the point of reinventing yourself if you leave the old, tell-tale leopard spots behind?

🐓 :  True.  I just don't want to see Frff go... Pfft.