• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Copper Quarter?? I need help with this coin.
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I was looking through my grandparents coins and found this odd quarter. It seems to be made out of copper, but I am not sure. It feels different than a normal quarter, and seems lighter. I don't have a precision scale to verify this though. If anyone could tell me if this could have value, or if it is just something that is visually interesting, it would be much appreciated!
20240624_232339.thumb.jpg.0e935654fb0ecda5f84d2af98430d98a.jpg20240624_232435.thumb.jpg.085a003805d80be82e4c6976dbddea70.jpg

Missing clad layer coins are true errors, however your coin looks more like corrosion.   A weight would be helpful as coins missing the clad layer are much lighter.

I'd suggest soaking it in acetone to see if the gunk can be removed and then an accurate weight. 

Oh for Chris'sake, do NOT prep this coin for reintroduction to circulation!... Bad enough it is a clad.  Give it a decent burial.  I will reimburse you for the twenty-cents (sheesh!) and all expenses.  :facepalm:

Edited by Henri Charriere
Add emoji.

So, I'll just add one thing. This is what happens to a Cupronickel coin when it is exposed to an electrolyte (wet soil) and the two metals copper and nickel (as well as small amounts of Iron and Manganese) galvanically react to each other in which the copper and iron always win. This produces the corrosion products seen including Cupric Sulfide Cu2S (black stuff) Iron oxide Fe2O3 (red stuff) Malachite [Cu2(OH)2CO3] (green stuff). The nickel is pretty much gone and has been "leeched" out by electrolysis and galvanic corrosion. The yellow substance is the "leeched" manganese it does not corrode and while usually black the galvanic process changes its structure and color as it is left as a surface layer deposit of the galvanic reaction.

Edited by Mike Meenderink