• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GTG: 1908 No Motto Saint

20 posts in this topic

These are the "before" pics.  How 'bout I meet you halfway...

"After" the coin has undergone an acetone rinse or warm EVOO bath, we will get a better idea as to grade if what we see is minor wear or cabinet friction. It's a beautiful coin with good overall surface preservation, but as of now it straddles the MS/AU divide. IMHO.

On 6/24/2024 at 6:38 AM, RonnieR131 said:

Me grading a coin is laughable. AU55+.

I see experts ATS split on some coins between MS and AU and off by 10 increments so your skills aren't as "laughable" as you think. :)

Of course, all of this is done via pictures which is different in-hand.

Everybody chime in today and I'll post the grade right after Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals tonight. (thumbsu

My rationale is simple.  The coin is lovely, no doubt about it, but if it graded accordingly, we wouldn't be having this conversation or Topic.  So I am putting my techical grading skills, to the extent I may have, to use.  Evidently, RWB and I see the gray areas that, remarkably, eluded notice by Greenstang.  I don't know what horse is running in the Stanley Cup Finals, but I am going to throw in with Roger. If Edmonton wins, so be it.  I do not believe I have much of a reputation or credibility left to lose.  🤣

On 6/24/2024 at 11:18 AM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

My guess is MS 62.  The photo is not as sharp as it could be.  So, that raises the coin up had it been a sharp photo.

I don't see any major dings or scratches, so I bumped it to MS 62.

UPDATED HI-DEF PHOTO:  This was taken apparently by a well-known coin photographer and the resolution is pretty Hi-Def.  I had to shrink it a bit since this website limits size.  Original was 4000x2000; I think that one uploaded over the weekend was only 2000x1000.

Here's one shrunk only to 3800x1900.  Hopefully shows more detail.  See more detail ?

1908 NM MS-67 $6K June 2024reduced.jpg

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Wow....for some reason, the photo I originally posted was only 900x451 when I saved it on my PC !!:o  I uploaded and trimmed the original from someone else's PC over the weekend so maybe settings were different than on my PC which I am currently using.

The new photo appears to show lots more detail.  Not a photo guy by any stretch but it seems to be much higher resolution/pixels and detail in the photo just attached in the post just above/before this one.

EDIT:  It is higher resolution, but when I saved it to my PC it was 2000x1001, not 3800x1900.  Don't ask me why. xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

I had Roger's horse, AU-58, down for Win, Place & Show.  As a result of the enhanced resolution, I have no equivocation, I put the balance of what I have on another ticket: 

WIN - WIN - WIN!

Based on the photos, which I magnified to the maximum extent possible, this 1908 No Motto St. Gaudens double eagle appears to me to be a true gem uncirculated example (MS 66-67?) by current commercial grading standards with far below average abrasions, excellent luster, a good if not quite full strike, and some very light positive toning adding to its overall "eye appeal". There is some very light disturbance to the luster at the highest points, which is usually interpreted nowadays as "roll friction" that affects the mint state grade but is not regarded as wear.

The problem is that one can't reliably grade coins that are in or near uncirculated condition from photos, especially those such as those offered by Great Collections or PCGS, which appear enhanced to make any coin look good.  I would need to see the actual coin at different angles in good lighting, both with and without magnification, to come up with an informed opinion. (If the coin was certified by CAC Grading, it is possible that the luster disturbance at the highest points was interpreted as wear and the coin graded AU 58 or AU 58+.)

On 6/24/2024 at 7:22 PM, J P M said:

I have found the new Great collection photos are much better than the TPG photos. I will say it is a MS 66

But if that were the case (MS-66) why would the OP post a coin which appears, at first blush, to be just that?

There's method to this "G.I. Joe with the Kung-Fu grip" madness and the devil lurks in the details.

Btw, you cannot help but admire the way Sandon weighed in making sure he covered all the bases.  🤣

On 6/24/2024 at 7:39 PM, Henri Charriere said:

But if that were the case (MS-66) why would the OP post a coin which appears, at first blush, to be just that? There's method to this "G.I. Joe with the Kung-Fu grip" madness and the devil lurks in the details. Btw, you cannot help but admire the way Sandon weighed in making sure he covered all the bases.  🤣

Tune in tonight........in about 3 hours....SAME BAT-TIME....SAME BAT-CHANNEL !!!

Holy, Third Party Graders, Batman !! xD

Congrats to Sandon and JPM !!  The coin is an NGC MS-67... apologize for originally posting the low-res pics, I saved them as hi-def but something happened in the translation.  Hopefully everbody saw some higher-res pics I posted later on.

Sandon threw out 67 in his range estimate and JPM came pretty damn close, too.  Special mention to Greenstang, who was off by a few increments in the MS grade...but loses points for choosing Edmonton to hoist the Cup. :)

Anyway....here's the coin with those super hi-res photos if you want to really zoom in for details:

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1601806/1908-Saint-Gaudens-Gold-Double-Eagle-No-Motto-Wells-Fargo-Nevada-Gold-NGC-MS-67

Went for just under $6,000 for an MS-67 with bp....holder is from 2001 when I think market grading had already begun, if you are into tracking that sort of thing.

Edited by GoldFinger1969