• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

24 D penny double dies
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Significant doubled die varieties--especially since 1996 when the mint began using the "single squeeze" method of die making--are very unusual, so your finding "a lot of this" strongly suggests that "this" isn't a doubled die. Assuming that the shallow, shelf-like extra images aren't lighting reflections, they would be the result of strike doubling, a.k.a. machine or mechanical doubling. See the links I placed on your Dr. Murray quarter topic.

A coin struck from a doubled die will feature crisp, clear doubling, usually with both images at about the same level and with "notching" between the images, as on this "Red Book" variety 1972 doubled die cent:

1972DDcentobv..thumb.jpg.12bffe56ed8c83bb89de49e90a6c03b5.jpg

On 6/22/2024 at 7:08 PM, Sandon said:

Significant doubled die varieties--especially since 1996 when the mint began using the "single squeeze" method of die making--are very unusual, so your finding "a lot of this" strongly suggests that "this" isn't a doubled die. Assuming that the shallow, shelf-like extra images aren't lighting reflections, they would be the result of strike doubling, a.k.a. machine or mechanical doubling. See the links I placed on your Dr. Murray quarter topic.

A coin struck from a doubled die will feature crisp, clear doubling, usually with both images at about the same level and with "notching" between the images, as on this "Red Book" variety 1972 doubled die cent:

1972DDcentobv..thumb.jpg.12bffe56ed8c83bb89de49e90a6c03b5.jpg

My only thought was the visible E on one of them off to the east. Also several are noticeable by eye without scope. Man die variations are hard. I have tried my very best to study. Thanks again for the feedback. 

Hello again Blackmon. I wanted to say a reflective coin can look like it has doubled devices. Also, if you are using a USB scope with multiple LED lights it will cause the same effect only larger.