• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1953 s nickel doubled or not?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

There is no such coin. But, this sure looks like it to me. What do y'all think? I'd take better pictures but this site has a issue uploading something not close.

IMG_20240622_073832328.jpg

IMG_20240622_073828744.jpg

IMG_20240622_073555063.jpg

On 6/22/2024 at 9:01 AM, Greenstang said:

Please explain where you see doubling. All I see from those photos is a well    
worn quarter with possibly some  Die Deterioration.

What you see, clearly, is what she's got. (At least her heart is in the right place.  She is only asking where other posters insist thereby prompting viewers to respond in kind.)

For all the replies that make someone feel inferior to your higher self and intelligence, look up the word wisdom. It's biblical. My short definition is "he highest intelligence is when you keep seeking knowledge." Then look up humility. It's a wonderful human character, quite the opposite of how some of you are behaving in helping someone looking to gain knowledge. 

Be kind to others.  It is easy to be unpleasant but takes more self control and dignity to do the right thing. I really wanted to go off, but I'm using restraint and control not to be that. I by no means am saying I'm better. God had to knock me off a very high place for me to receive such understanding.

So, I hope I shared something to help y'all and I appreciate you helping me. 

I attached somewhat of a better picture. The dye is heavy all around more than deteriorating, in my opinion. You can see the rippled affect on the 3 and 5. 

IMG_20240622_110403465.jpg

On 6/22/2024 at 11:39 AM, J P M said:

Your nickel has gone past its prime, even if it was a variety at one time it is not posable to see any more.

I hope this reply did not offend you ? I still do not see anything like doubling on the 1953S other than worn out devices most of the time they get larger from being used and banged round. . The 64 is nice. 

Edited by J P M

On 6/22/2024 at 5:42 AM, SuzieqCoined said:

What do y'all think?

I see no doubling on the 53-S, thickening of the letters is only useful if you can also see some notching of the serfs which I do not see.   What I do see is a well circulated coin (with damage from a coin wrapping machine on the rev) that may have had some machine doubling when struck which now combined with the heavy wear and many dings from circulation is giving you the impression of doubling.

The 64 is a nice circ find and would look good in an album of AU/XF nickels.

Thank you for the updated picture of the 53 S. I could not see anything on the initial pictures in this post.

I can slightly see some of the effect you are seeing and I note it is sort of "all over the place". Left of the numerals, above the T, and below the Y. I also see the metal flow lines on the obverse typical of a coin that was struck with overworn dies. Those two things combined would also tell me it is a case of die deterioration doubling. I don't see any form of it on the reverse maybe due to the lighting, but on the reverse, I do sadly see the circular damage from a coin roll wrapping machine.

The 64 is nice. Did you found that in circulation? On occasion I have noted some very nice surviving nickels that pop up in circulation. Most Jeffersons on the whole have a great survival rate as I have pulled many 40's and 50's dates and they are still not worn down to a nub.

I see no doubling, only abrasion. I am kind of a quasi-expert on abrasion and toning. They are key aspects of my personality. I'm abrasive and people don't care for my tone. (Now ask me if I care - I'm a Philadelphia Eagles fan.)

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/22/2024 at 11:25 AM, SuzieqCoined said:

For all the replies that make someone feel inferior to your higher self and intelligence, look up the word wisdom. It's biblical. My short definition is "he highest intelligence is when you keep seeking knowledge." Then look up humility. It's a wonderful human character, quite the opposite of how some of you are behaving in helping someone looking to gain knowledge. 

You are not inferior. The coin is. Just look at the images you posted. The coin is beat to death. Folks here gave you honest opinions. 

If this well-worn 1953-S nickel exhibits any form of doubling, it is die deterioration doubling, not die doubling, the only potentially valuable kind. A coin struck from a doubled die will feature crisp, clear doubling, usually with both images at about the same level and with "notching" between the images, as on this "Red Book" variety 1972 doubled die cent:

1972DDcentobv..thumb.jpg.12bffe56ed8c83bb89de49e90a6c03b5.jpg

See also the following resources regarding the differences between die doubling and other, "worthless" forms of doubling:

Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC (ngccoin.com)

https://www.doubleddie.com/144801.html and links therein