• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would like sound advice on a quarter set with and without error
1 1

31 posts in this topic

Guys I have a set with about 15-20 error coins verified by Mobile Bay Coins. The major errors include the 2022 Scarface Wilma Mankiller, 99 Delaware Spitting Horse, 05 Kansa Spitting Bison, The Maya Angelou Nesting bird, the tardrop and index finger error 22 Anna May Wong, 22 fringe in hair and index finger error Wong, I have 2 Arizona Extra Catus leaves, 4-5 coins which have the Drooling George and Wart on Nose,  several Ghost commet Ride Sallys as well as best looking 1976 clad Bicentennial D clad that I have seen thus far. It has mirroring and looks amazing, and 5 haven't been checked for errors including 3 98 wounded eagles, another, Mankiller, and potential DDR Bessie Coleman, as well as 09 Duke Ellington potential DDR. It includes all 99 Quarters as well as many other complete years. There were circulated but many are in impeccable condition. Roughly 150-175 quarter set in a protected case. What would be the best way to value as I would like to sell them all. I do not have the 05 Minnesota nor the 04 Wisconson. I just want to sell the whole lot. Most other hard to find coins are included. Thanks in advance. 

Sorry for long post. Really value your time and opinions. There are the pics of the die clash and it includes the pooping horse. 

WIN_20240622_15_19_46_Pro (1).jpg

WIN_20240622_15_20_31_Pro (1).jpg

WIN_20240622_15_20_13_Pro (1).jpg

WIN_20240622_16_17_10_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240622_16_15_28_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240622_15_19_46_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240622_15_20_31_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240622_16_05_26_Pro.jpg

Edited by Blackmon0803
Apologies for run on post and grammar corrections

Welcome Blackmon0803, All I can say is I have many of the coins you have listed and unless you can find someone who is in love with this stuff it is mostly worth face value. The state and park quarters had a lot of odd anomalies most are not thought of as mint errors. 

On 6/20/2024 at 4:52 PM, J P M said:

Welcome Blackmon0803, All I can say is I have many of the coins you have listed and unless you can find someone who is in love with this stuff it is mostly worth face value. The state and park quarters had a lot of odd anomalies most are not thought of as mint errors. 

I read about that. I had many looked at by my local expert. He stated the errors such as Drooling George and a few others may bring a few dollars. However today he stated I may have discovered a new unique error on the 07 Wyoming quarter that could be worth a lot. Thanks

On 6/20/2024 at 5:58 PM, Blackmon0803 said:

I read about that. I had many looked at by my local expert. He stated the errors such as Drooling George and a few others may bring a few dollars. However today he stated I may have discovered a new unique error on the 07 Wyoming quarter that could be worth a lot. Thanks

Perhaps you could take a picture of that coin obverse and reverse and post it for us to see what is so unique about the coin. There are many members here that have over 50 year's experience. 

On 6/20/2024 at 5:06 PM, J P M said:

Perhaps you could take a picture of that coin obverse and reverse and post it for us to see what is so unique about the coin. There are many members here that have over 50 year's experience. 

Will do. Not at home now but will post. It looks like the pooping die error shifted to the horses' hind leg and caused a perfect silhouette of the horse head to the north east of the design and on the obverse you can see a perfect silhouette of Washington's Face about the same distance away as the reverse. You can make out exact features of both clearly

From the description, there is probably little market for any of the coins you mention, These are all minor errors, and worth minor money. Your description of a Wyoming quarter suggests an interesting piece stuck from clashed dies.... or it could be simply your coin placed between two normal coins and then pressed in a sturdy bench vise. You should be very wary of claims made by anyone selling this kind of item. (If buying a complete set of this series or any other modern series, the coins must ALWAYS be absolutely uncirculated. Even then, the collector premium is very small.)

Edited by RWB

🐓 :  The "pooping die error"?

Q.A.:  I know. I know. I have a feeling we're not in Kansas, Ricky.

I also want to state that most of what you describe is a variety, not an error (as most of the internet will have you believe that anything outside of the normal is an error). The extra leaf high and extra leaf low Wisconsin quarters are not even considered an error, but rather a variety.

If you said you have a Kansas quarter that is struck 25% off center, that would be an error. If you had an Idaho quarter missing the clad layer, that would be an error. I have never heard of a pooping die error and what you describe there would also be a variety like the 3 legged Buffalo nickels. Despite everyone calling those an error, it is NOT. Those are a variety. DDO, DDR, RPM, and RPD are varieties, NOT errors. Die chips are not errors.

I am looking forward to the photos of this poopy one though out of sheer curiosity.

"Mobile Bay Coins" is not a grading service, recognized authority on errors and varieties, or nationally well-known coin dealer.  I checked their website, and they seem to be a coin and (perhaps primarily) bullion dealer in Mobile, Alabama with no particular expertise in either mint errors or die varieties. (See Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com) for an explanation of the difference between mint errors and die varieties.) What printed reference or website did they use to identify these purported "errors", most of which would be classified as die varieties if as anything, assuming that they resulted from characteristics of the particular dies?

I do not know of any widely accepted numismatic reference that lists or describes the varieties that you name, nor have I seen such items offered by major numismatic dealers or auction houses. (There is a significant 2009-D District of Columbia doubled die reverse quarter, but without photos we cannot tell whether your "09 Duke Ellington potential DDR" is one of them. See State & Territorial Quarters (1999-2009) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com).) These items are likely the result of die cracks or die chips and are considered by most serious collectors not to be worth collecting and not attributable by the major grading services. Some promoters who sell items on sites such as eBay give them cute names and claim them to be valuable, but in reality, there isn't much of a market for them. I hope you didn't pay much for them.

What resources (print and online) are you using to learn about coins?  Today, more than ever, it is important to follow the old adage to "buy the book before the coin".  

Posted (edited)

Couple of 

On 6/20/2024 at 11:31 PM, powermad5000 said:

I also want to state that most of what you describe is a variety, not an error (as most of the internet will have you believe that anything outside of the normal is an error). The extra leaf high and extra leaf low Wisconsin quarters are not even considered an error, but rather a variety.

If you said you have a Kansas quarter that is struck 25% off center, that would be an error. If you had an Idaho quarter missing the clad layer, that would be an error. I have never heard of a pooping die error and what you describe there would also be a variety like the 3 legged Buffalo nickels. Despite everyone calling those an error, it is NOT. Those are a variety. DDO, DDR, RPM, and RPD are varieties, NOT errors. Die chips are not errors.

I am looking forward to the photos of this poopy one though out of sheer curiosity.

Buddy I never said Kansas was off center. I said it was the Spitting Bison. I saw the Comment about Mobile Bay Coins. They do indeed have an expert there who is extremely up to date on common errors. They do not really buy the smaller coins but he and I have spent much time together. He has done this most of his life. Trust me I have been wrong several times. As far as the 07 Wyoming, he stated it was a cool die clash that left the die break indention on the hind leg and created the silhouette of both. I will post the pictures in just a few minutes. I am grateful for the feedback. I do my best to study these coins before bothering you guys.  Varieties refer to the die specifically pre strike. Error refers to unintential abnormalities during striking? You confused me. 

Edited by Blackmon0803
Correction

Not sure if it came across the wrong way but mint error is any damage to the coin during the striking process, I thought variety speaks to the group of coins that feature the same exact mint error, i.e. the 1955 DDR. That would be that specific exact error. Maybe I'm off. I appreciate you guys giving feedback. I have driven from my home in Grand Bay AL to Biloxi to get a 3rd opinion to be sure. I enjoy this very much and can take the heat if I am wrong, no problem. Pics will be posted soon. Thanks again for the feedback. 

On 6/21/2024 at 9:29 AM, Sandon said:

"Mobile Bay Coins" is not a grading service, recognized authority on errors and varieties, or nationally well-known coin dealer.  I checked their website, and they seem to be a coin and (perhaps primarily) bullion dealer in Mobile, Alabama with no particular expertise in either mint errors or die varieties. (See Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com) for an explanation of the difference between mint errors and die varieties.) What printed reference or website did they use to identify these purported "errors", most of which would be classified as die varieties if as anything, assuming that they resulted from characteristics of the particular dies?

I do not know of any widely accepted numismatic reference that lists or describes the varieties that you name, nor have I seen such items offered by major numismatic dealers or auction houses. (There is a significant 2009-D District of Columbia doubled die reverse quarter, but without photos we cannot tell whether your "09 Duke Ellington potential DDR" is one of them. See State & Territorial Quarters (1999-2009) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com).) These items are likely the result of die cracks or die chips and are considered by most serious collectors not to be worth collecting and not attributable by the major grading services. Some promoters who sell items on sites such as eBay give them cute names and claim them to be valuable, but in reality, there isn't much of a market for them. I hope you didn't pay much for them.

What resources (print and online) are you using to learn about coins?  Today, more than ever, it is important to follow the old adage to "buy the book before the coin".  

I didn't pay anything for them. And yeah I don't get anything from Ebay or Etsy or none of those nonsense sites. I try to really read and study before posting. I have purchased a scope and a way to measure thickness, weight, and diameter. 

On 6/21/2024 at 10:01 AM, Blackmon0803 said:

Couple of 

Buddy I never said Kansas was off center. I said it was the Spitting Bison. I saw the Comment about Mobile Bay Coins. They do indeed have an expert there who is extremely up to date on common errors. They do not really buy the smaller coins but he and I have spent much time together. He has done this most of his life. Trust me I have been wrong several times. As far as the 07 Wyoming, he stated it was a cool die clash that left the die break indention on the hind leg and created the silhouette of both. I will post the pictures in just a few minutes. I am grateful for the feedback. I do my best to study these coins before bothering you guys.  Varieties refer to the die specifically pre strike. Error refers to unintential abnormalities during striking? You confused me. 

Also I didn't pay anything except just meticulously collecting over time. I don't trust Ebay, Etsy or any of that garbage. Lol. I bought a scope and toll that allows me to weigh the coin and get thickness and diameter. I am trying guys

On 6/20/2024 at 6:23 PM, Henri Charriere said:

🐓 :  The "pooping die error"?

Q.A.:  I know. I know. I have a feeling we're not in Kansas, Ricky.

They used to say of excessively frugal individuals (pre-1939) that they could pinch a nickel so hard they could make the buffalo poop.

On 6/21/2024 at 8:29 AM, Sandon said:

Take it from a former Pennsylvanian who became an Alabaman four years ago - Alabama is pretty much a numismatic wasteland. Experts? Not s'much. The guy that might have been the best dealer in Alabama died a couple of years ago.

Edited by VKurtB

Buddy I never said Kansas was off center.

I did not say you did. I said IF it was THEN it would be an error.

Varieties refer to the die specifically pre strike. Error refers to unintential abnormalities during striking? You confused me.

If you reread my comment slowly, you shouldn't be confused.

Short summary, a variety is anything that happens with the dies such as DDO, DDR, etc. Certain clashes can qualify as a variety. A variety is established because a significant number of coins are produced with the same attributes.

An error happens only BEFORE (to the planchet to be struck or to the dies before striking) or DURING striking and produces only one coin as each error in unique. Errors are things like off center strikes, clipped planchets, cracked planchets, laminations, clad layer missing, broadstrikes, misaligned die strikes, out of collar strikes, quarter struck on a nickel planchet, etc.

Error coins are not "named" like the coins you are describing here because they are one offs. The coins you have with the made up names are because there are many of them so people attempt to describe the effect seen on the coins.

If you are still confused, visit the site error-ref.com.  If you can't find it on there, its not an error.

On 6/20/2024 at 2:59 PM, Blackmon0803 said:

Guys I have a set with about 15-20 error coins verified by Mobile Bay Coins. The major errors include the 2022 Scarface Wilma Mankiller, 99 Delaware Spitting Horse, 05 Kansa Spitting Bison, The Maya Angelou Nesting bird, the tardrop and index finger error 22 Anna May Wong, 22 fringe in hair and index finger error Wong, I have 2 Arizona Extra Catus leaves, 4-5 coins which have the Drooling George and Wart on Nose,  several Ghost commet Ride Sallys as well as best looking 1976 clad Bicentennial D clad that I have seen thus far. It has mirroring and looks amazing, and 5 haven't been checked for errors including 3 98 wounded eagles, another, Mankiller, and potential DDR Bessie Coleman, as well as 09 Duke Ellington potential DDR. It includes all 99 Quarters as well as many other complete years. There were circulated but many are in impeccable condition. Roughly 150-175 quarter set in a protected case. What would be the best way to value as I would like to sell them all. I do not have the 05 Minnesota nor the 04 Wisconson. I just want to sell the whole lot. Most other hard to find coins are included. Thanks in advance. 

Sorry for long post. Really value your time and opinions.

Unfortunately, either with or without these minor varieties, this material is pretty much NNV - no numismatic value. Tens of thousands of people are into this type of material. They all want to sell. Nobody wants to buy. It's a classic case of, "everybody who wants them already has them."

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/21/2024 at 7:09 PM, powermad5000 said:

.... If you are still confused, visit the site error-ref.com.  If you can't find it on there, its not an error.

Well, I wouldn't go THAT far.  There is little oversight on the internet. That takes time and resources.  What are the chances anyone can get sellers to adhere to standards like using universally recognized numismatic nomenclature at a time when the Surgeon-General advocates the use of warnings for social media platforms?

If you can't find an error on error-ref.com, it's a bit of a reach to say it doesn't exist. I would say it's unlikely, or highly improbable, it's an error and leave it at that.

Ultimately, this is all going to boil down to a term the OP used, "verification" and a determination as to FMV, if any.  At this point, I don't see formal submission for certification as being in the cards, but it's anyone guess what the jury's verdict will be. Guess we will have to wait...

On 6/21/2024 at 6:09 PM, powermad5000 said:

I did not say you did. I said IF it was THEN it would be an error.

If you reread my comment slowly, you shouldn't be confused.

Short summary, a variety is anything that happens with the dies such as DDO, DDR, etc. Certain clashes can qualify as a variety. A variety is established because a significant number of coins are produced with the same attributes.

An error happens only BEFORE (to the planchet to be struck or to the dies before striking) or DURING striking and produces only one coin as each error in unique. Errors are things like off center strikes, clipped planchets, cracked planchets, laminations, clad layer missing, broadstrikes, misaligned die strikes, out of collar strikes, quarter struck on a nickel planchet, etc.

Error coins are not "named" like the coins you are describing here because they are one offs. The coins you have with the made up names are because there are many of them so people attempt to describe the effect seen on the coins.

If you are still confused, visit the site error-ref.com.  If you can't find it on there, its not an error.

I understand. I appreciate it very much. I didn't mean to come across rude. So as far as the varieties you speak of, with the newer coins, are there not the same type of varieties? For instance the ghost Comet, the teardrop Anna Wong, as well as the Delaware Spitting Horse, and Kansas Spitting Bison. I have just purchased the Cherry Pickers Guide and Strike it rich. I am truly trying to understand. If I came off as a jerk my apologies. A lot of these that I listed are not one offs, or so I thought. I will post a few pictures in just a few. I promise they will get posted I have just been trying to get clear, we'll taken pictures. I will use my scope. 

On 6/22/2024 at 11:57 AM, Blackmon0803 said:

A lot of these that I listed are not one offs, or so I thought. 

Correct. That makes these varieties. The die chips, scratches, clashes, etc that caused these anomalies were struck into multiple coins. People give them cute little names to make them more attractive to buyers (something that I really never have cared for.) Errors, on the other hand, usually only affect one or a few coins. Those listed above, such as clipped planchets, or off-center strikes, normally only affect one coin. Sometimes if you have a capped die, or similar occurrence, multiple coins will be affected. All will be slightly different, though.

Actually, the separation of variety and error when describing anomolies is a fairly recent thing. At one time, they were all grouped together. Even the third party graders have listed varieties as error coins. For example: early on, PCGS listed the Franklin half with a die clash that showed as buck teeth on Benjamin Franklin's portrait as a "'Bugs Bunny' error," when, in fact it is actually a die state or variety. There are other instances where TPGs and major dealers have listed things like the 1955 Lincoln cent with major doubling on the obverse as a "doubled die error." Numismatic authors and researchers, like David Lange, were instrumental in showing how these were actually separate occurrences, and it is beginning to catch on in the numismatic world.

Edited by Just Bob

On 6/22/2024 at 11:57 AM, Blackmon0803 said:

I understand. I appreciate it very much. I didn't mean to come across rude. So as far as the varieties you speak of, with the newer coins, are there not the same type of varieties? For instance the ghost Comet, the teardrop Anna Wong, as well as the Delaware Spitting Horse, and Kansas Spitting Bison. I have just purchased the Cherry Pickers Guide and Strike it rich. I am truly trying to understand. If I came off as a jerk my apologies. A lot of these that I listed are not one offs, or so I thought. I will post a few pictures in just a few. I promise they will get posted I have just been trying to get clear, we'll taken pictures. I will use my scope. 

No worries. I don't take much personal in this world. I also hope the same that I was not coming off as a jerk or condescending. I am just trying to explain it in a way you can understand. You'll get there over time. 

On 6/22/2024 at 12:10 PM, Just Bob said:

Actually, the separation of variety and error when describing anomolies is a fairly recent thing. At one time, they were all grouped together. Even the third party graders have listed varieties as error coins. For example: early on, PCGS listed the Franklin half with a die clash that showed as buck teeth on Benjamin Franklin's portrait as a "'Bugs Bunny' error," when, in fact it is actually a die state or variety. There are other instances where TPGs and major dealers have listed things like the 1955 Lincoln cent with major doubling on the obverse as a "doubled die error." Numismatic authors and researchers, like David Lange, were instrumental in showing how these were actually separate occurrences, and it is beginning to catch on in the numismatic world.

Thanks for this. As I have been in this for over 45 years, I do somewhat remember collecting as a kid that some of these doubled die types were called errors. But even back then, I sort of didn't see them as errors. To me at that time, errors were coins that looked effed up (clips, off center strikes, etc.). Doubled die types were different but still looked like a typical coin. So I guess naturally all the way back then I was making my own separation between variety and error without being aware of it. Might explain why I adapted so quickly to the separation that currently is in place.

This also explains why some sellers, even ones I have sent messages to correct their listings, still call for example the 55 DDO and 3 leg Buffalo errors. They must be older collectors who learned it that way and don't want to recognize the change currently in designation.

Very helpful Just Bob! Since I like dealing with many of the older generation of collectors and sellers, I think I'll see those listings in a different light now.

On 6/20/2024 at 1:59 PM, Blackmon0803 said:

Sorry for long post. Really value your time and opinions.

I hope by now in this thread you understand the difference between an error and a variety so I'll not rehash that.    Almost all the items that you listed above except for the 09 Duke Ellington DDR are the products of slick marketing and minor minting anomalies like die scratches, clashes, and die chips.   Because many happened to affect a working die there are multiplies of these coins that were produced and distributed.   When found many were given (as Bob pointed out) cute names, promoted and marketed to those who were interested in buying them.   I personally do not think much of the seller and promoters of this type of item, but it is not up to me to decide what someone else wants to buy.    However, neither NGC or PCGS lists any of the coins in your list on their list of approved varieties except for the 09 Duke Ellington DDR, here is a screen shot of all three of the MS state quarter varieties that NGC will attribute and list on the slab label, there are two additional proof varieties.

image.thumb.png.1a24c3557570f7e6276fb3e6403a1f0f.png

It is of course possible that in the future NGC could add to this list possibly including one or more of the cutesy name coins that are in your list.   But at this time things like the spitting horse (yes that is the correct name that was given to that die gouge) and others are simply just oddities, not real verified varieties from the leading TPG's.

Edited by Coinbuf

Duke Ellington quarters struck from the "well-temperament" dies are much rarer than those using the "equal-temperament" dies. Not sure if these are die varieties or design variants. Drop then to find out.

;)

On 6/20/2024 at 7:14 PM, Greenstang said:

I don’t see anything that I would consider an error. DDO and DDR are varieties. The wounded eagle is a variety.   
Most of the others are just die chips which are not errors but part of the minting process and are very common.   
Will wait for photos on the Wyoming quarter.

I will post I'm another thread a coin I just received. It would be a DDO and DDR but I will ask you guys and get the professional opinion. I just thought it was cool. In no way shape or form am a acting to know even a little of what you guys know. 

On 6/22/2024 at 1:15 PM, Coinbuf said:

I hope by now in this thread you understand the difference between an error and a variety so I'll not rehash that.    Almost all the items that you listed above except for the 09 Duke Ellington DDR are the products of slick marketing and minor minting anomalies like die scratches, clashes, and die chips.   Because many happened to affect a working die there are multiplies of these coins that were produced and distributed.   When found many were given (as Bob pointed out) cute names, promoted and marketed to those who were interested in buying them.   I personally do not think much of the seller and promoters of this type of item, but it is not up to me to decide what someone else wants to buy.    However, neither NGC or PCGS lists any of the coins in your list on their list of approved varieties except for the 09 Duke Ellington DDR, here is a screen shot of all three of the MS state quarter varieties that NGC will attribute and list on the slab label, there are two additional proof varieties.

image.thumb.png.1a24c3557570f7e6276fb3e6403a1f0f.png

It is of course possible that in the future NGC could add to this list possibly including one or more of the cutesy name coins that are in your list.   But at this time things like the spitting horse (yes that is the correct name that was given to that die gouge) and others are simply just oddities, not real verified varieties from the leading TPG's.

Just to be clear. I appreciate that feedback. I will be well aware going forward. What about the Minnesota DDR with the extra tree? I have that one in really great condition. Does NGC recognize that? I am trying to learn how to not waste my time. It gets confusing sometimes but I have a grasp now. A series of a particular major mint Error is a variety of said error usually occurring to x amount of the same year coins making finding one drive up the value. I appreciate this forum so much!

On 6/22/2024 at 2:37 PM, Blackmon0803 said:

Just to be clear. I appreciate that feedback. I will be well aware going forward. What about the Minnesota DDR with the extra tree? I have that one in really great condition. Does NGC recognize that?

At current no NGC does not, however, I do believe that PCGS does attribute the Minnesota extra tree.   In fact PCGS seems to have several listings for the extra tree so you would have to do a little studying to figure out if they attribute the one you have.

Glad that the forum is providing you some help, that is what this part of the forum is dedicated to.

It is always best to make a new thread. But to answer your question on the coin it is what we call a grease filled strike. It may have some clash marks but this coin has many grease strike markings.

Edited by J P M