• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible mint error
1 1

8 posts in this topic

This is the first Lincoln I have seen with these lesions. I suggest you refer to this example as Scarface.  🤣

The reason that the bubbles have lines through them is that they are hollow and something has pressed on them. Remember, it is only an error if it happens during the striking of the coin of which there are limited options, anything after that is damage. Unless you can explain how an anomaly happened at the time a coin was struck, then it is by default one of the countless things that can happen after it left the striking chamber and considered damage no matter how it happened.

Edited by Greenstang

Your cent has many plating bubbles this happens a lot on the copper plated zinc coins 

While the Mint got much better with the plating issues it was having early on when they first introduced these copper plated zinc cents, there is still the occasional cent in which there is a plating issue and you have one of them.

The plating can bubble, crack, split, and even in some severe cases can have pieces of it flake off. The plating bubbles are not always round. There is such a thing as linear plating bubbles that appear as lines in the coin. 

There are no errors on this coin, just plating issues, and advanced plating issues at that. Not too common on these Lincoln Shield Cents. I haven't seen too many Shield Cents with this kind of problem.