• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Barber Half Dollars

20 posts in this topic

I was looking for a new series to collect, and was really struggling.  My half cent set is drawing to a close, and only a few tough coins are left.  What should I do next?

This time I wanted a series more "affordable," but I wanted to stay in the classic coin era.  This meant I had to go down in grade from where I generally buy.  I wanted a set that would look good in circulated XF-AU condition.  I didn't want it to be easy, but I wanted it to be attainable.  I was not sure where to go.... so, I made a post ATS and suggestions came flowing-in (really great suggestions).

I took those suggestions and tried to figure-out a good set for my budget.  My budget is $500 for common coins and ~$5000 for the keys.  I batted ideas around for over a month, and decided to start chasing a set of Barber Half Dollars.

Immediately, I noticed that many (maybe most) of the XF-AU coins had problems.  Most of them are wiped, cleaned, and the hairlines are evident.  Many more are dipped to a point of looking unnatural.  Also, XF-AU seems to be particularly challenging for this type.  I think I could build the set more easily MS than XF-AU (obviously the expense would be a killer, but there seems to be more coins available in MS)

In doing some research, I found the Barber Coin Collectors' Society with a lot of great information (would highly suggest the link to anyone wanting to start a Barber Collection).  This link gave me lots of great census and rarity detail.  I found the rarity scale by condition particularly interesting (leading me further to believe that XF-AU is going to be a very tough challenge):

image.thumb.png.c55bc795f9d619a1fdf27cad3d88e25b.png

On 6/19/2024 at 6:14 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Has anyone put together a set of Barber Half Dollars?  How did you approach it?  What resources did you use?  How did you set your parameters when building your set?

I would suggest you pay a visit to the Set Registry to get a feel for the collector base, obvious key dates, the array of certifications, etc.  You're an old hand at this.  New series. New challenges.  Good luck!

On 6/19/2024 at 6:14 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Has anyone put together a set of Barber Half Dollars?  How did you approach it?  What resources did you use?  How did you set your parameters when building your set?

...yes...dimes, quarters n halves...basically decide what u want ur total investment to be n determine the grade that allows u to accomplish that goal, possibly decide the acceptable grade variation u can be satisfied with n u will have ur set boundaries...as u mentioned consult and/or join the BCCS, very good people....

SOME GOOD-NATURED JABBERWOCKY...   🤣

🐓  :  Goals?

Q.A.:  My God, you're right! Goals?  WHAT GOALS?? Since when have goals ever been attainable???  :whatthe:

No goals!  Only TACTICS!!!  You start a set, you are obligated to finish it, but hold on, you're not done yet.  

UPGRADES.  Yes, upgrades! Not every now and again.  NOW ! Every day, every hour, every minute!  No new listings?  Check!  Regularly!  Exercise vigilance!  Be creative! Resourceful!  Nobody's "done." No true collector is ever "done." That's stinkin' thinkin'. Check the census!  It says finer examples have been certified. Who's got 'em?  Check the Set Registry.  Nobody's got 'em. Move on... Make a mental note. Oh, you're an old hand at this. You know what to do. But never let your guard down.

It is your sacred duty as a dyed-in-the-wool, card-carrying collector to hunt every last one of 'em Barber halves down.  Get your APBs and BOLOs out!  Develop your network of contacts!  Make calls!  Get the word out!

Top Ten Set?  You want a medal?  You've got a lot more work to do!  And when you reach the top, don't forget, you must DEFEND your TITLE . To the death and --

🐓  :  -- Hey Q!  This is NOT the rooster thread!  Come along now...  Sorry, NN.  He's got the fever. By all means assemble another fine set of coins at your own pace.  Collecting should never be a job or become an obligation. Thanks for being a good sport.  :)

On 6/19/2024 at 8:18 PM, zadok said:

...yes...dimes, quarters n halves...basically decide what u want ur total investment to be n determine the grade that allows u to accomplish that goal, possibly decide the acceptable grade variation u can be satisfied with n u will have ur set boundaries...as u mentioned consult and/or join the BCCS, very good people....

I thought halves would be slightly easier than quarters.  Which Barber set did you find the toughest?  Which one was the most fun?

On 6/20/2024 at 1:00 AM, Sandon said:

If you intend to collect them in unimpaired AU or better grades, I expect that you will find this quite a challenge, but ultimately a rewarding one, although you may have to settle for lower grades, especially for some of the mintmarked coins in the 1890s.and early 1900s.

Thanks for the insight on the series.  I have been thinking about the early MM coins.  This is part of the reason I want a medium grey toned set... that way if I have to go down in grade, those coins will also be grey.  I am going to go slow with it and have fun.  The set I am building will never be a registry "stunner", but I think that it will be a great way for me to learn something new.

Anyone else gone after the Barber Half Dollars?  What was your toughest coin? Pics?

Complete or nearly complete Barber half (and others) sets have been showing up with greater frequency now that older collectors are shuffling off. Some of these sets were from their parents or from circulation. Most of the really nice circulation sets (AU or better) have already been dispersed. Current small dealers like to break up these sets to squeeze the most money out of high value coins, and sell the rest at current melt prices.

On 6/19/2024 at 4:13 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

My first coin for the set is probably the most common in the series - 1912-D (PCGS50).  However, this one had "the look" I am after - a medium toned grey with luster underneath.  I want original coins, and this will slow me down as much as anything else in this series.  My goal is to have every coin look very similar to this one in condition, color, luster and eye appeal.

image.thumb.png.3c5cc840d1686e772035e74cd0ff8674.pngimage.png.00201c3ac930c73b87ea6737353f9e75.png

Very nice starter….

I don't get a chance to view a lot of Barber halves in person, but, judging by the ones I have seen, you may have quite a challenge finding coins to match your initial purchase. Good luck with the hunt, and don" t forget to post pics of your newps. (thumbsu

On 6/20/2024 at 9:40 PM, Just Bob said:

...you may have quite a challenge finding coins to match your initial purchase. Good luck with the hunt, and don" t forget to post pics of your newps. (thumbsu

I think you are 100% right.  I picked Barber Half Dollars because they circulated so heavily.  Unlike Capped Bust Half Dollars that were used mostly for bank transactions, the Barber half was a coin of the people.  So many have been worn slick.  Collectors/Dealers held back a subset of MS coins, but mid grade XF-AU seem to be a very challenging area, and the data from BCCS seems to align to my thinking.  And... like I said above, so many XF-AU coins have been messed with.  In this collection, I think that the availability of the coins I like will be my "stopper", not price.  I will 100% post my progress, and will start a registry set (just to organize and display.  I know I will never win).

On 6/20/2024 at 2:32 PM, samclemen3991 said:

Hello, about 20 some years ago I was at the point you are at.  I was deciding what to collect so I bought several books.  One of those is "The Complete Guide To Certified Barber Coinage."  The book is from 1999 so of course the certified populations listed are way out of date.  On the other hand, the book gives you a historical measure point of all three denominations that you can compare to today's population reports.  It is also worth mentioning that the Feigenbaum author was considered THE expert on Barber coins.  He gives a specific breakdown on strike characteristics, potential sleeper dates, and his opinion of every single date and denomination.

I am currently putting together a list of books to donate to our local museum, but there is a pretty good chance it will do there exactly what it did in my study.  Sit on a shelf.  If this reference material is of interest to you contact me at voltaire_2738_2000@yahoo.com.  good luck either way.  James

PM sent.  Thank you.

On 6/19/2024 at 10:50 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I thought halves would be slightly easier than quarters.  Which Barber set did you find the toughest?  Which one was the most fun?

...quarters...quarters...my first sets of each was to complete my grandfathers sets...when i didnt have other collecting avenues occupying my time i purchased complete sets of barbers all denominations n reassembled them in more uniform sets n sold the duplicate sets, none for melt as mentioned by another in this thread....