• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3.1 copper 1982 D Small Date Pennies?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

These coins are in great condition but need to make sure I am correct. Any advise helps. The coins look better with Pictures from my scope but they are in really great shape. Weight says copper and I believe this is small date? They both look to have extreme doubling even in the memorial columns, date, and lettering. DDO/DDR is that possible?Maybe I got this right lol. 

20240618_013302.jpg

20240618_013144.jpg

20240618_011306.jpg

20240618_011243.jpg

Edited by Blackmon0803
Error question

Definitely Large Dates. Just look at the distance from the 2 to the rim.   
If it is close, it is a Large Date, if you can fit another number in the space,   
then it is a Small Date.

Both are large dates as the members have informed you.   I do not see any legitimate true doubling on either coin, there might be some worthless strike doubling but much clearer in focus photos would be needed to see that.   Have you ever been to the Lincoln memorial?   There are columns inside the memorial behind the statue of Lincoln, the cent design incorporates those columns as well as the columns at the front of the building.   People new to coins and/or those that have never been to the memorial don't understand the design and mistake that as doubling.

They are both large dates and have no collector value. There is no known major doubled die variety for a 1982-D, and I see no doubling of any kind on your photos, which are out of focus.  The following infographic shows how to distinguish between 1982 and 1982-D large and small date cents, of which only the 1982-D small date copper (only two known) would be valuable circulated:

1982 Lincoln Cent Infographic.jpg

Thanks guys I do have at least 1 Denver Mint Small Date Copper. I appreciate that and will post better pictures with scope going forward. That was with my phone. I may have 2 small dates. Appreciate the feedback. I have 5 Denver minted copper coins. I now see the easy distinction. I love the straightforward answers. 

On 6/18/2024 at 9:25 AM, Blackmon0803 said:

Thanks guys I do have at least 1 Denver Mint Small Date Copper. I appreciate that and will post better pictures with scope going forward. That was with my phone. I may have 2 small dates. Appreciate the feedback. I have 5 Denver minted copper coins. I now see the easy distinction. I love the straightforward answers. 

So far there have been a total of two confirmed 82-D small date copper coins found and you say you have at least one maybe two :roflmao:  Don't take this the wrong way I hope you do have two, but you needed help to identify these two coins which you believed were small dates.    So given the fact that only two have ever been found and your inability to know what you have with these two coins I find it highly unlikely that you have one much less two 82 -D small date copper cents.   I do however think it is highly possible that you have two, or more, 82-D small date zinc coins.

So, when I found out about the discovery coin (the unicorn 1982 D Lincoln Memorial Bronze Transitional), I was probably slightly behind the information curve. However, I took a photo from the article about the discovery. This photo I took in August of 2019. Since then every Tom, , and Harry has been searching for another one of these. If I am not mistaken, the second one was found roughly within six months of the discovery one.

Where I am going with this, as there were only two found and we are about 6 years later with a ridiculous amount of collectors and non collectors (those just looking for a get rich quick coin), I could only guess some circulation ones have been checked more than once. I honestly think with as many people hunting one of these down, at this point with as many years have passed, I do not think there will be another found. I could only hope someone could prove that statement wrong someday, but for as many posts about this unicorn cent that have been made just here in this forum, I think the fantasy of finding another is just that. A fantasy. One that will stay just that way. A dream in people's minds. I think at this point, one has better odds of winning both the Powerball and Mega Millions in their lifetime than finding another one of these.

Sorry to be the naysayer, but I am holding to it.

On 6/18/2024 at 6:08 PM, powermad5000 said:

Sorry to be the naysayer, but I am holding to it.

So, I guess that 1955 DD I have been looking for since 1962 has even higher odds now in 2024:roflmao:

I stand corrected. I went and really researched and purchased a millimeter gauge today. I have 4 copper 1982 D large date and 2 1982 Philadelphia large date. My apologies but that coin can be a little deceptive but really did my homework. So guess we can all still search for the small date variety as well as the 1955 D DDO. Thanks guys

On 6/18/2024 at 8:12 PM, J P M said:

So, I guess that 1955 DD I have been looking for since 1962 has even higher odds now in 2024:roflmao:

Good luck finding that in cash register change or in rolls there @J P M. You do however stand a better chance of owning a 55 DDO than you do of ever owning one of the two 1982 D small date Lincoln Memorial Bronze Transitionals.