• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying To Get a Feel For Grading
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I shot this photo in direct sunlight, I don't know enough to appreciate if that makes the photo more, or less, representative of what the coin actually looks like. Where my eyes seem to really be failing me is in that I really don't see any appreciable wear on this coin. The hair over the upper half of the ear, the eagle's breast, hair above the forehead, I'm not knowledgeable enough to see a lot of wear in these areas. I'm sure it's just that I'm the rankest of amateurs here, but I'm seeing graded coins with more wear than I see on this one grading MS65. I see some scratching on Liberty's cheek, is it an excessive amount? The worst scratching I'm seeing is in the field below the space between the E and P. What would be a more likely grade... something in the AU or even EF range, or am I still too high? I'm sure there are some significant areas of wear and scratching that I'm just not learned enough to see.

thanks for your expertise! 

On 6/16/2024 at 8:51 PM, ButchMcQueen said:

....Where my eyes seem to really be failing me is in that I really don't see any appreciable wear on this coin.

Wear. WEAR!!!  FULL-STOP!  That four-letter word is not even applicable to ANY of the eleven grades that comprise the Mint State series.

Now, what I am going to do is wait, very patiently, for our venerable @VKurtB to GTG on this one.  Not in-person. Not in-hand.  That would be a real treat!

Coinbuf, Thanks for taking the time to educate me on this. The difference between wear and a weak strike appears to be something I am going to struggle with until I learn more. Still, considering this quote from PCGS's Tips From The Grading Room, "One of the most difficult nuances in grading high-grade coins is detecting the difference in a weak strike, and light wear.", I suspect I won't be struggling alone. :smile:

On 6/16/2024 at 8:51 PM, ButchMcQueen said:

..... I'm sure it's just that I'm the rankest of amateurs here,....

Not even close!  By universal consensus that honor was bestowed upon me a few years ago...   🤣

Sandon, Thanks ever so much for taking the time to shed more light on this subject with a total neophyte. I received my copy of the latest edition of Whitman's ANA Grading Guide on Friday and I've been digging into it pretty hard. So much to learn! I'm attaching another photo of this coin taken under LED light and angled slightly to try and knock back on glare. I think this newer picture does a better job of depicting the overall condition of the coin. To my eye the coin actually has at least a bit more luster than what the picture shows.

I sure do wish I had a local coin dealer I could visit and get some "eyes on the actual coin" perspective (and quit pestering folks on here so much!), but I'm so far out in the boonies the nearest Walmart is over 50 miles away, and my nearest coin dealer is over twice that!

Any comments you might have would be appreciated. 

Butch

Screenshot 2024-06-16 at 8.21.49 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-16 at 8.21.04 PM.png

Being 1878 was the first year of strikes on new dies, the 1878's need to be in spectacular condition to get a grade of MS 65. I have seen some of these of this particular year with tons of frost on them and super nice fields that do not even grade as proof like and only have a grade of MS 64. The dollar you posted here is an MS 60 at best. Keep in mind MS 60 just means it shows no wear. MS 60 can have tons of bag marks and contact marks as are normally found on Morgan and Peace dollars. These were minted and put into direct contact with each other in Mint bags of 1000 coins in each bag. And the bags were moved and sometimes "tossed" around. Hard to toss, but what I am saying is not handled with kid gloves if you will. The coins banged into each other and rubbed against each other in these mint bags. You might find one with a great obverse and marked up reverse or vice versa if that coin was lucky enough to be on the outside of the bag and that part of the bag wasn't slammed onto the ground. It is difficult to find these soft silver metal coins without bag marks or contact marks. The one you have posted has very many. Also, the Mint was having its own issues on this first year of getting the coins to strike up right and went through a lot of dies to get it right, hence the many VAM varieties available from this particular year, so for the 1878 you need to look for fantastic looking specimens to get higher grades.

The sunlight is probably better lighting for the photo as it won't allow the lens to "hide" any for those contact marks. I will try to find a photo of my 1878 S you can use as a comparison to why I say this particular year is so difficult to achieve a very high grade on. Hopefully you can see the difference between the "satiny" look and partial remaining frost of the surface of mine to the "rough" surface of your coin.

PXL_20210102_231306620~2.jpg

PXL_20210102_231306620~2.jpg

Edited by powermad5000

As all photos have their limitations, whether appearing here, in the ANA Grading Guide, or on PCGS Photograde (www.pcgs.com/photograde), another useful resource, you will have to get to some coin shows or other venues where you can see examples of actual professionally graded coins. I'm fortunate in that there are a number of such shows annually in my area. 

Your newer set of photos of the 1878-S Morgan dollar suggests some high point "rub" (light wear) that could result in an AU 55-58 grade. See the photos and descriptions for these grades at pp. 288-89 of the ANA grading guide. The high points will have had some of the luster rubbed off and look a dull gray when the coin is slanted in the light. Contact marks on these same areas will look shiny (dark when slanted in the light) as on @powermad5000's 1878-S graded MS 64. That coin has excellent luster and strike, but the contact marks prevented it from receiving a higher grade. Note that even in AU 50 Morgan dollars are supposed to show three-quarters of the mint luster, and some luster is supposed to show even at EF 40. There is no reason to believe that your coin could possibly grade higher than MS 62, and likely not that high.

Striking weakness (not a factor on your coin) is usually distinguishable from wear because luster will appear on the weak areas. This 1892-O Morgan dollar (NGC graded MS 62) has characteristic striking weakness at the hair over Liberty's ear and the eagle's breast but full luster in those areas and elsewhere:

1892-Odollarobv..thumb.jpg.3d28dc3569e8f7d1665039a853baf14b.jpg

1892-Odollarrev..thumb.jpg.8c1dfcfae3cbeb304743223b2e51b433.jpg

On 6/16/2024 at 10:01 PM, ButchMcQueen said:

Henri, Thanks for taking the time to make a new guy feel like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Bye 

Butch, Henri has his own unique writing style.  An acquired taste.  Kernels of wisdom if you know where to look.xD

On 6/16/2024 at 11:39 PM, ButchMcQueen said:

I sure do wish I had a local coin dealer I could visit and get some "eyes on the actual coin" perspective (and quit pestering folks on here so much!), but I'm so far out in the boonies the nearest Walmart is over 50 miles away, and my nearest coin dealer is over twice that!Any comments you might have would be appreciated. Butch

Coin shows, local ones (small)...regionals (larger).....national ones (HUGE) like FUN. (thumbsu