• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Today's Book Find
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I love what you are doing with this! I have bought a few old coin books over the years, and one thing I will say about it, despite what was said about them being out of date, on some slim occasions, those old books have a reference to a coin that is no longer recognized for whatever reason, yet I find the reference still useful for when coming upon a coin that I see something but cannot find a current variety listing say. Also some of the old World Coin books can have some listings in them that are not found in current books, and are helpful in identifying some of the older World Coins. To me, these books still have some uses despite some of their information being dated (notice I did not say outdated).

On 6/15/2024 at 6:47 PM, J P M said:

Yes, perhaps someday I may find an old Roger Burdette book to add to the collection.;)

Well, the first ones are closing in on 20 years old! But, there's almost nothing to be updated. (Now, maybe I should send you one of the early drafts --- those are out of date, but no nice photos.)

It's fun to look through old books and price catalogs, plus there remain nuggets of good info - it's just difficult to separate obsolete from accurate. We also have to remember that a 1960 Red Book price of $100 for a coin is a "back then" value, not a "present value." Also that "EF" was once a really nice coin, not what is being passed around in today's slab-world products. :)

Edited by RWB

I don't know if they still do it or not, but the old Red Books used to have a feature that provided the values of all such books from their inception to date, as collectibles.

On 6/15/2024 at 8:19 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I don't know if they still do it or not, but the old Red Books used to have a feature that provided the values of all such books from their inception to date, as collectibles.

Yes there is still a listing in the back of the book for Red and Blue books. The 1997  50th year I posted was the first year of the spiralbound softcover. It is not worth more than $2 but still a collectable