• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1958 doubled die obverse...?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I know thousands of people right with the same question I'm sure over and over again with a coin that they think is the coin I'm going to be a statistic here I do have a 1958 that I believe is doubled I finally got the guts at the post it please tell me what you think I have hundreds more pictures if you need to see more I took him at every angle every lighting every position I'm trying to get down the hole coin photography thing it took a long time LOL but I think I know how to do it now if anyone seeing what I'm seeing you please please give me your insight thank you

Screenshot_20240614-074958 (3).png

Screenshot_20240607-235024 (1).png

Screenshot_20240614-074500 (2).png

Screenshot_20240614-073625 (2).png

Screenshot_20240614-073614 (1).png

Screenshot_20240614-073443 (2).png

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

No, you do not have an example of the extremely rare 1958 doubled die cent, which features crisp, clear doubling on "LIBERTY" and the motto and looks like this (NGC VarietyPlus photos):

image.jpeg.125e80c80bb4649e24c086bf67094230.jpeg image.jpeg.357609edc1e21103062109c401ec206d.jpeg image.jpeg.8a589ebd1a79c2a8718c9186e4c79af7.jpeg

A doubled die coin (a die variety) results from doubling in the die itself, so every coin struck from the die will feature the same doubling. Very few of the 1958 doubled die cent have ever been found, and none for decades, and it is likely that very few left the mint. Based on the photos you posted, I do not see doubling of any type on your coin, but be aware that many coins exhibit doubling caused by loose or worn dies, which coins have no collector value. See, for example, Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Your coin was struck on a clipped planchet, a relatively minor mint error that generically is valued at $3 on a 95% copper alloy Lincoln cent in the 2023 A Guide Book of United States Coins, popularly known as the "Red Book" (p.443). 

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I am surprised that you went first to a doubled die over the very obvious clipped planchet error. While you may be seeing some very minor strike doubling which adds no value to this cent (you have the coin in hand and we do not and are only going off of the numerous photos which are good enough to tell there is no true hub doubling), you do have a legitimate mint error for a clipped planchet. While it might not add much premium to this cent, it does add value over a 1958 with some minor strike doubling. Excellent! It is nice to see on this forum a coin presented with an actual error! (thumbsu

Welcome to the Forum!  :hi:

I had a sign on my desk at work many years ago that read:  WARNING!  MY DISPOSITION CHANGES WITHOUT NOTICE.  A member here insists on being brutally honest.  I am going to test-drive that tactic now mindful that you are new (see that waving hand by your name?) and by Law we are obliged to go easy on you.

I regret to say your post is absolutely remarkable and may have even broken the Guiness Book of Records for the longest run-on sentence -- 118 consecutive words (contractions counted as words) -- with an apparent blatant disdain for the King's English eschewing punctuation: capitalization, commas, semi-colons -- and periods.  Not even ONE!

There are members on this thread who've weighed in who would ordinarily refer you to basic reference resources, but have not, I fear, because they may have had some reservations as to your ability to properly utilize them.

As far as I am concerned, it's a toss-up as to whether I ought to lavish attention on the baby shark that surely chipped it's tooth on your Wheatie, or the OP who, though demonstrating she can read and "write," as it were, is at a distinct disadvantage in doing so in an orthodox, coherent fashion.

I believe any discussion of the possible attributes of your coin is premature.  I have a question for you.  How would you feel about a lawyer you hired who handed you a brief written in the style to which you have evidently become accustomed?  I believe a lot of people have been less than honest with you and, most regrettably, includes those with whom you have interacted on this Forum. First things FIRST!  There is one common trait all somewhat talkative people share in common: they do very little reading, if they do any at all.  My advice to you as an unlicensed, uncredentialed member is spend more time reading.  I will allow you to discover for yourself the futility of seeking out ERRORS.

Brutal enough for you, Kurt?

(Posted at the discretion of Moderation.)