• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheat pennies
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Now based on photos which I have in a sleeve because I don’t want to touch them. Are these worth getting graded? The moment I think  “this is the one” it seems as if I am totally wrong. The back of the 57 (more gold looking below) seems to be a little faded in a spot. 

IMG_5873.jpeg

IMG_5872.jpeg

I don't know what to say.  You just became a member -- have been here a day and a half tops, and your first question concerns grading of a few CENTS you call pennies...

I have a few questions of my own. What does your indispensable resource, the "Red Book" have to say about these dates? Do you know their mintages? Have you checked a site like eBay to compare what you have with the merchandise displayed there?  In short, you found some nice Lincoln cents but cannot tell any of us which you believe to be rare.  BTW, have you checked out the Submission Forms NGC sent to you as a new member? Have you a general idea what submitting your coins is going to cost?  Looks can be deceiving. What if I told you the brown cents you shoved aside can very well be worth  a thousand cents. Yes, $10.00. Only problem is even one of those coins, which may be worth twice or thrice that, still isn't worth sending in. Your coins are not going anywhere. Crack that Red Book and familiarize yourself with Lincolns, key dates to look for and a working definition of what About Uncirculated and Extremely Fine means and what those grades are supposed to look for. When you have struck paydirt, i.e. a cent or other coin worthy of a second opinion, come back, and we will be happy to weigh in. Screen the coins you have, find something interesting, and we will be happy to assist you. Fair enough?  

While these are good finds and are in decent condition, none of these would be worthy of submitting to a TPG. The 50's ones for sure had high mintages as well as many collectors storing these in gem BU by the roll, especially this late in the series. I myself have a full roll of 1957 gem RD BU that the entire roll would grade between MS 65 RD and MS 66 RD.

The cents you have posted here have very visible circulation chatter on them, along with some hits. The 58 D is probably the best of the three but it is so common in high grades with full red color that yours in midgrade RB would be worth $4-$8. The grading fee for the modern tier alone would cost three times what the value of the coin is.

Other than some of the key dates and major 55 variety, cents from this series typically don't see premiums unless they are in choice, or gem BU, RD in color, and at least in the early 30's or earlier date wise. By the 40's and for sure by the 50's the mintage numbers are just too high along with collectors hoarding these by the roll for anything less than fully gem BU red to have substantial value.

Album coins are nice finds. But certification coins are intended to be “oh my freaking gawd gorgeous” coins. New collectors largely have never seen the second type yet, and need to work first on organizing the first type first. Some day you will understand. 

Welcome to the forum, and a great hobby!  You are absolutely correct, the whole point of this forum is for new collectors to ask questions, so ask away and ignore the few naysayers. Those are nice cents, you might want to consider getting an album and start a Lincoln cent collection.  While not worth grading they would look great in a nice album like this. Lincoln Cents 1909-1995, Album: Whitman: 9780307091123:  Amazon.com: Books   I also highly recommend getting a redbook of US coins.  Amazon.com: A Guide Book of United States Coins 2025 "Redbook": 9780794850586: R.S. Yeoman, Jeff Garrett: Books

Edited by l.cutler

On 6/14/2024 at 7:44 PM, Tmoney11 said:

Henri, As a new hobby I thought this was the point of this “newbie” board is to post things like this and learn from others with more experience that wish to share insight. As a newbie myself how am I suppose to know like an expert what is up to your standards of excellence to post about when thats why people like myself are looking to learn from those that take the time to share and teach us with no experience. I agree and trust me I am trying to learn as quickly as I can with all the reading I can handle. I actually thought these wheat coins were very nice and admirable to be in circulation found in great condition. I asked just for opinion on grading and if its worth it. Also you become a member for this very reason do you not? Is there something wrong with the term penny or pennies?  I realize I am new to this but your statement of grading pennies as if that is not a thing? Please elaborate and remember your on a “newbie” board so if you don’t care for guys/ girls that are finding joy in learning from those that can share a wealth of knowledge why do you come on here?  As a newbie I also would never compare to Ebay as the vast range, fakes, amongst other issues would be something I would never tell someone to compare things to learn from. Might as well tell me to type year and date of coin into YouTube and you find out its a million dollars (just try it) and then when I post it here to find out it isn’t even close then will you share your opinion? Realize grading with the categories without having the backing of training, education means things like extremely fine etc means my opinion which I am first to admit has no room to even decide at this point. I am glad to get a response like this though because it reminds me no matter the experience I gain over the years I will never discourage, talk down to, or hurt this topic with people who find passion in it new or old. I am 17 years old and I hope you don’t own any store in which you have this attitude or treat customers who walk in the door like this. If you have true passion for this then teach in a positive, encouraging manner. 

Tmoney, your point is well-taken...understand that in recent months (years ?) we have been INUNDATED with 1st-time posters and New Members who post about finding a certain $5,000 coin in some change or a roll.  Sandon has his cautionary post on speed dial or CTRL-V. xD

I can't recall the last time a New Member posted here saying they wanted to LEARN about a particular coin or series like Double Eagles or Morgan Silver Dollars or Franklins or Walking or Standing coins.:o

Anyways, welcome aboard....and don't take our exasperation personally.  It's not you, it's the repetitiveness. :)

Nice finds, BTW...and if you express an interest in any of MY coins, I will be happy to steer you in the right direction.(thumbsu

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 6/15/2024 at 11:11 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Tmoney, your point is well-taken...understand that in recent months (years ?) we have been INUNDATED with 1st-time posters and New Members who post about finding a certain $5,000 coin in some change or a roll.  Sandon has his cautionary post on speed dial or CTRL-V. xD

I can't recall the last time a New Member posted here saying they wanted to LEARN about a particular coin or series like Double Eagles or Morgan Silver Dollars or Franklins or Walking or Standing coins.:o

Anyways, welcome aboard....and don't take our exasperation personally.  It's not you, it's the repetitiveness. :)

Nice finds, BTW...and if you express an interest in any of MY coins, I will be happy to steer you in the right direction.(thumbsu

I get it and do have to realize that as well. This is the result of Tik Tok saying every coin you have is worth $10k or more flooding people with just wanting a pay day. I love the history and have started with Lincoln Cent rolls as for the obvious reason of getting more to look at for less money. I love the wheat cents and have been drawn to them for some reason. I do want to eventually move my way up but focus for now is learning all I can on Mr. Abe himself. 

Thank you for the welcome!

On 6/15/2024 at 10:44 AM, Tmoney11 said:

I get it and do have to realize that as well. This is the result of Tik Tok saying every coin you have is worth $10k or more flooding people with just wanting a pay day. I love the history and have started with Lincoln Cent rolls as for the obvious reason of getting more to look at for less money. I love the wheat cents and have been drawn to them for some reason. I do want to eventually move my way up but focus for now is learning all I can on Mr. Abe himself. 

Thank you for the welcome!

Tik Tok needs to be shut down. Then Etsy. Then YouTube needs to be cut back to about 1/10 its size.

The best chance of finding satisfying coins in circulation is by searching half dollar rolls. 90% and 40% silver halves can still be found, with a little patience. These have added value due to the silver they contain, and not as collector's pieces.

There are very, very few coins in circulation that are of interest to collectors or have anything more than a slight premium above face value. The doubled die cents and other denominations with naked-eye doubling are the ones to look for, but the odds are very much against you.

The places VKurtBS mentioned are almost entirely packed with liars and frauds.

On 6/15/2024 at 10:47 AM, VKurtB said:

Tik Tok needs to be shut down. Then Etsy. Then YouTube needs to be cut back to about 1/10 its size.

Followed by Temu with their large selection of cheap counterfeits.

On 6/15/2024 at 12:13 PM, RWB said:

The best chance of finding satisfying coins in circulation is by searching half dollar rolls. 90% and 40% silver halves can still be found, with a little patience.

Abso-effing-lutely. If you’re playing with lower denominations, all you’ll be finding is damage. 

On 6/15/2024 at 11:44 AM, Tmoney11 said:

This is the result of Tik Tok saying every coin you have is worth $10k or more flooding people with just wanting a pay day.

Yup, I think it's TIkTok because we had YouTube, FB, etc....in the past....and didn't see the level of people being misled today.  I understand that TikTok's ease of use, wide usage, and quick vidoes lend themselves to this kind of deception.

It's the 1980's all over again....it's 3 AM...and the GET RICH NOW Real Estate infomercial is on 3 different channels !!xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969