• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1959 penny
1 1

29 posts in this topic

For my second post wanted to know if this is worth getting graded as I have seen some can go for a decent auction price. What do you think worth is and only photo I have at this moment. 

IMG_5855.jpeg

Being this was the first year of cents with the memorial reverse, collectors  began to hoard these in gem BU by the roll when they first came out. Since gem specimens are plentiful, one of these would have to grade at an extremely high grade to gain premium (MS 67 RD and higher). At MS 66 RD, its value is basically a break even with grading costs.

I think MS 62 RD or maybe MS 63 RD would be a fair opinion of the grade of your cent and you would suffer substantial loss if you were to submit this cent. It is, however, an excellent album coin. 

I do not know why nobody has the intestinal fortitude to reply to you directly.

I don't know what auction prices you have been looking at but just for once I would appreciate knowing the name  of the auction house whose gavel prices you were looking at. This way members can tell you, e.g., "Of course that's worth more!  It's a Proof."

You're not going to get meaningful feedback by claiming you read something somewhere and confronting a Forum full of people who dash your hopes and dreams by suggesting all they see is something worth 15 cents. Just my opinion. Nobody who went thru all the trouble of joining up and paying their dues wants to hear something like that.  Am I right, or am I right?  Give us something we can sink our teeth into.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Die polishing

On 6/13/2024 at 9:58 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Nobody who went thru all the trouble of joining up and paying their dues wants to hear something like that. 

There is NO DUES PAYABLE to be a posting member here. NONE AT ALL! The only thing that requires dues is having a membership for submitting coins. You really do need to get this straight. 

On 6/15/2024 at 1:49 AM, VKurtB said:

There is NO DUES PAYABLE to be a posting member here. NONE AT ALL! The only thing that requires dues is having a membership for submitting coins. You really do need to get this straight. 

Guests (formerly known as Lurkers, I guess) do not have posting privileges. To post, one must become a member. Membership, depending on which of the three options you choose, costs money.  Haven't you ever heard me joking around that because I do not make submissions, I am a "dues-paying lurker?" Sidebar:  the last time I was deported, my membership lapsed. I received numerous appeals to renew my membership.  I stood my ground and said I would only renew if my chat board privilege was restored. After some presumably high-level sit-downs with the Certified Collectibles Group in Vladivostok where I was interred in Camp 37, an accommodation was reached whereby my Board privilege would be restored with the unconditional codicil that my post privileges, upon renewing my membership, would be restored but terminated irrevocably for cause, or no cause at all, and without recourse to appeal.  As a refugee ordered to sit down, shut up, and eat borscht broth, I found that very appealing. Now, uncle z claims without producing a shred of evidence, that all this is a product of an overimaginative mind, but it is THE TRUTH. I am an indentured servant who serves at the pleasure of management. Now aren't you sorry you brought this up? 🤣

Thank you, Fenntucky Mike. ‘Bout time somebody else spoke up. NOBODY NEEDS TO PAY A RED CENT TO PARTICIPATE ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD!!!! And they never have. That said, I do have the $149 version. I submit a fair number of coins each year.

Edited by VKurtB

In my 20 something years on this forum, I have never had to pay anything to post on the forums. A few times over the years, I have paid when I needed to send coins in for grading. 

On 6/15/2024 at 7:19 AM, Henri Charriere said:

I stood my ground and said I would only renew if my chat board privilege was restored.

I guess that's a creative way to get around being banned. Not many have that problem. They gave you a chance to behave. I hope you don't mess that up. 

On 6/15/2024 at 11:05 AM, VKurtB said:

Thank you, Fenntucky Mike. ‘Bout time somebody else spoke up. NOBODY NEEDS TO PAY A RED CENT TO PARTICIPATE ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD!!!! And they never have. That said, I do have the $149 version. I submit a fair number of coins each year.

It is with a heavy heart that I feel constrained to concede, provisionally, pending further investigation, that I may very well not know what the heck I am talking about.  As an intermittent intractable offender, I believe I am confusing membership with disciplinary actions.  If you are a member, irrespective of tier chosen, and are PERMANENTLY BANNED, your membership continues but your posting privileges are suspended.  My problem appears to be being a prolific writer with a tendency to unintentionally dominate the Board.  While not a technical violation of the Board Guidelines, I can see why that would be annoying.

My apologies to T-Money, for burdening you with all this.

On 6/15/2024 at 11:05 AM, VKurtB said:

.... NOBODY NEEDS TO PAY A RED CENT TO PARTICIPATE ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD!!!! 

Per the preceding post in which I stated I was conceding defeat "provisionally,"... I have since located the evidence which I will now cite in support of my assertion that participation on the Chat Board is not free.

If you forget to sign out at the close of your session overnite, you will be met with the following advisory the following morning:

"Create an account or sign in to comment."

(So far so good. However, directly below that instruction, in smaller print, is the admonition):

YOU NEED TO BE A MEMBER  IN ORDER TO LEAVE A COMMENT.

Let's dissect that, shall we?

1. You wish to "participate" -- not just VIEW content on the various forums and topics and threads.

2. YOU NEED TO BE A MEMBER!

3.  Membership requires the payment of a FEE depending on tier chosen. FEE suggests $$$.

IT FOLLOWS THEN THAT,  IN ORDER TO "PARTICIPATE ON THIS DISCUSSION BOARD," YOU WILL PAY MANY RED CENTS FOR THE PRIVILEGE OF DOING SO, ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.

Case in point:  When's the last time you saw a topic posted by "Guest"?  Or "Lurker"?  Never.  (At NGC's inception, Yes. Now, No!)

I am vindicated!  I rest my case.

Now put that strait jacket away, z.

(Posted at the Discretion of Moderation.)

Die polishing for clarity.

On 6/16/2024 at 9:48 AM, ldhair said:

In my 22 years on this site, I have never paid anything. The same on CU. 

Ditto. I have created threads, posted pictures, and responded to hundreds of threads without having to pay NGC anything. Regardless of other peoples’ experience or understanding of the way this site is supposed to work, the fact remains that posting on this forum is free, unless a member chooses to buy an upgraded membership.

On 6/16/2024 at 10:56 AM, Just Bob said:

Ditto. I have created threads, posted pictures, and responded to hundreds of threads without having to pay NGC anything. Regardless of other peoples’ experience or understanding of the way this site is supposed to work, the fact remains that posting on this forum is free, unless a member chooses to buy an upgraded membership.

This. This is it. 

On 6/16/2024 at 3:24 PM, VKurtB said:

This. This is it. 

Q.A.:  No, this is not!  STOP IT!  🤣

My source of information is NGC.  

And NGC says:  "YOU NEED TO BE A MEMBER IN ORDER TO LEAVE A COMMENT."

EVIDENTLY THOSE OF YOU WHO DISAGREE HAVE CONVENIENTLY FORGOTTEN THAT LIFETIME FREE MEMBERSHIPS WERE ROUTINELY GRANTED TO THOSE WHO JOINED NGC ABOUT THE TIME OF McKINLEY's INAUGURATION.  YOU TAKE IT FOR GRANTED.  BUT THAT WAS THEN.  THIS IS NOW.  FREE RIDES AS POLICY WERE DISCONTINUED BEFORE SILVER WAS TAKEN OUT OF COINS.

I AM FRANKLY SURPRISED SO MANY OF YOU SEASONED PTERODACTYLS SURVIVED.

🐓  :  Not for nothing, Q, but I believe you were hoodwinked. Remember the times you were unable to log-in and every time you tried you were, in a manner of speaking, ORDERED to upgrade your membership, and refused?   It may have been a simple, socially-acceptable way of keeping you at bay... You wuz Punked!

Q.A.  Maybe you're right... never mind.

🐓  :  One more thing... Maybe the decision to delete that '09 rooster from your Set Registry on the West coast was their way of saying you can't be # 1 if you let your membership lapse and decline to renew it.

Q.A.  I don't know what to think anymore.

Once again, my apologies to the OP.

Then pray tell, how do you translate my experience I had in 2019-2020 when the pandemic was going, everyone was on lockdown, there were no coin shows to go to, and at the beginning of the pandemic, I was on disability for my reactive arthritis and unable to work, making less than unemployment pays while I was on disability. I was not able to buy coins nor had $$ to submit any coins so I let my normal yearly $149 Premium membership lapse and did not have any membership or submission privileges for one entire year. Yet, I was still able to come on to this forum and post about coins which is exactly what I did during that time. I couldn't do coins, but I did come on here and read and comment and learn a lot. For free. Explanation please...

On 6/15/2024 at 8:25 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Four options.

image.thumb.png.600260a3263094ffa127cb82d3cd7fda.png

I always buy the Associate Membership just in case I ever want to submit a coin.  What about the NGC Collectors Society and Registry sets ? Are those sites still available with the free membership?  

On 6/17/2024 at 7:22 PM, J P M said:

....  What about the NGC Collectors Society and Registry sets ? Are those sites still available with the free membership?  

The Collectors Society I am unfamiliar with.

The Set Registries, here, there, and everywhere, are free.

Typo corrected.

On 6/17/2024 at 4:22 PM, J P M said:

I always buy the Associate Membership just in case I ever want to submit a coin.  What about the NGC Collectors Society and Registry sets ? Are those sites still available with the free membership?  

Both are free, what a waste of space most of this thread has become all because one member needs attention.   All this misinformation was spewed by QA so he could get someone to talk to him besides the chicken.  :makepoint:

On 6/18/2024 at 12:08 AM, powermad5000 said:

This thread sadly got way off topic long ago. None of this diatribe has anything to do with the OP's 1959 cent.

Ya ,Sorry Tmoney11... this happens a lot if a question gets put on top of an answered question.

On 6/18/2024 at 8:06 AM, Tmoney11 said:

All good doesn’t bother me that is what a free forum is for. Can go in any direction and I am good with it.

THANK YOU @Tmoney11!!! I have become sick and tired of the "Discussion Board Rules Nazis". These are DISCUSSIONS, and they can flow many directions. Gimme a stinking break!