• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have ten 1992 close AM pennies all either (D)(p) mint marks some red some red brown two of them just in really good condition almost proof witch should be graded if any
1 1

24 posts in this topic

Just saying they are AM Pennies makes no sense. There are close AM and wide AM varieties. Only the close AM have any value.

Edited by l.cutler

Can tell you that they are not all CAM but would will need a clear photo of each to say which is which.   
Too hard to see the detail from photos supplied.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

It would be extremely unusual to find even a single 1992 "close AM" cent, so it is unlikely that all or any of them are "close AMs". There is no way we could tell without clear, cropped photos of each coin.  The "AM" looks close even on the common "wide AM" variety. On the "close AM" the numerals nearly touch at the bottom. These images from PCGS Coinfacts show the comparison.

WIDE VS. CLOSE "AM"

Unless you have the knowledge and experience to grade and otherwise evaluate coins yourself, including being able to identify die varieties, you should not submit coins to third-party grading services. You will likely waste a great deal of money if you do. Your referring to some of the coins as "almost proof" indicates a lack of basic knowledge, as "proof" is a method of manufacture, not a grade, and all proof 1992 cents are 1992-S.

Edited by Sandon

I am unable to assess the conditions on your coins based upon the photos provided. You should also post only one coin per thread as is stated in the posting guidelines for this forum.

The fact that you claim you have 10 Close AM cents is pretty much enough for me to know you probably have none. I have been collecting coins for 45+ years and I haven't found a single Close AM cent in circulation let alone 10. Not that it is not possible but for ten of these to land in the same place I think it would be easier to win the Powerball.

I am not trying to insult you, but I am simply stating the sheer likelihood of something like this happening. If anything, it tells me you need to do more research and get more education when it comes to looking at coins, especially at varieties.

On 6/13/2024 at 5:58 PM, powermad5000 said:

....If anything, it tells me you need to do more research and get more education when it comes to looking at coins, especially at varieties.

I am going to test-drive Kurt's approach here with a stinging comment.

Research is not possible without a basic education. My feeling is you mean well, but are in over your head.  Have you obtained a copy of the "Red Book"? Would you be able to submit a Submission Form, unaided.

If you do not you will get an education but at a prohibitive cost.  You will become understandably frustrated and possibly impatient due to a misunderstanding of the many variables that are considered in grading a coin correctly, meaning a general consensus as to the grade that ought to be assigned to a coin.

You haven't even been here a day and already have 10 different posts up and running.  I would urge you to slow down and familiarize yourself with the way things are done in this hobby.  If you've inherited a quantity of coins, I can understand your feverish pace, but if you truly want to devote quality time to this subject, dispense with any distraction that will prevent you from mastering a few basic facts.  This is not a short-haul venture.  You have to have the desire to learn all facets of the hobby. This is not a Dear Abby forum.  You will have to put in the necessary footwork in order to get out of it what you put into it.  There are no get-rich-schemes some may be privy to.  That's Hollywood; this is real life. You will discover that sooner or later.

I just got my pennies graded recently and come to find out I have (8) 1992 D close AM pennies 🤯🎉 an will be sending them to pcgs when I get them back I'll post them. will remember to tag your name. So you can see dreams do actually come true. 15 years of saving my change an two big sparkletts water jugs later still haven't gone through them completely so I still have a lot of change to go through. An hopefully I do all auction money will be going to my two kids college funds. So I'll be going through the jugs thoroughly. 

On 6/15/2024 at 5:46 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

Dream, dream dream dream, dream, dream dream dream. When I think about you all I want to do is dream, dream dream dream, dream, dream dream dream....

Attn:  @VKurtB 

I am assigning the blame and responsibility for this squarely in your lap.

This is what happens when you unilaterally prohibit 🚫  Bumping.

doh!

On 6/15/2024 at 10:37 PM, Lj89 said:

I just got my pennies graded recently and come to find out I have (8) 1992 D close AM pennies 🤯🎉 an will be sending them to pcgs when I get them back I'll post them. will remember to tag your name. So you can see dreams do actually come true. 15 years of saving my change an two big sparkletts water jugs later still haven't gone through them completely so I still have a lot of change to go through. An hopefully I do all auction money will be going to my two kids college funds. So I'll be going through the jugs thoroughly. 

You got them “graded” somehow and THEN you’re sending them to PCGS? One of us has no idea what we’re talking about, and I think it’s you.

I was starting on my third jugs an my 13year old straight a gate student didn't know I had two that I filled already told him I would put them in the machine at Albertsons one day and and he recommended getting them authenticated an graded so that's what we started doing an both really enjoying researching and going through all of them and we have found some very good one so far I don't have no doubt that his bank account will be exceeding a lot more than mine and never would have thought it would be from my change that I never cared for or used an now enjoying an really getting into knowing the history of the coins in a hole new way. Life is a trip never know what you might fall into. Excuse my grammar and spelling.lol thanks for all your feed back guys we will be back.

There is a antique coin store an the nice gentleman took a look at them for me and said I should send those in to PCGS I'm not a coin collector I'm a construction worker I work for DWP so not my kind of hobby but now that my son is into it I'm starting to get into it as well

On 6/15/2024 at 11:16 PM, Lj89 said:

There is a antique coin store an the nice gentleman took a look at them for me and said I should send those in to PCGS I'm not a coin collector I'm a construction worker I work for DWP so not my kind of hobby but now that my son is into it I'm starting to get into it as well

Your nice gentleman at the antique coin store doesn’t know his backside from a hole in the ground. 

I'm assuming your say the coins I posted are not 1992 cam pennies?? Well you live an you learn i guess we will see when they come back. Either way I'll probably just start paying for the ones my son and I think should be sent to the best of our knowledge from the internet an things an ONLY the one's that are really noticeable. seems like everyone has an opinion an doesn't mean anything till it's professionally graded. There is a lot of change to go through so only the best an most noticeable errors will be sent for now like these that we think are worth sending for now. No need for any criticism on these ones an one that he said was a fake press but just going to send it any way just thought you guys would like to see a couple But we thank you all for your time an thoughts. Will only post again when I have a lot more knowledge on coins seems like I have my work cut out for me an very much interested now an can see I know nothing about coins an intrigued on how much there is to learn.

IMG_20240615_234536723.jpg

IMG_20240615_234527541.jpg

Told my son I wasnt posting any more for you guys to authenticate but he wants to ask about the 1982 small date penny we have over ten of them but will only post two tomorrow an ask if they are the valuable small date that he wants I'll try my best at my grammar as well when I post it signing off it will make a new account when I'm much much more knowledgeable at this sorry an good luck to all.

The only 1982 cent that is valuable is the COPPER 1982D Small Date and there are only    
a few of them known. There are millions of them that are  zinc plated that have no value unless
they have a high grade.

Lj89 I think the person who graded your coins is sending you on a wild goose chase. It would be wise to post clear close shots of the coins you want to send in. The odds of having one 1992 CAM are extremely high let alone having ten of them..(shrug)I think the OP has been here before, the lack of punctuation and rambling reminds me of previous posts.

On 6/16/2024 at 12:03 AM, VKurtB said:

You got them “graded” somehow and THEN you’re sending them to PCGS? One of us has no idea what we’re talking about, and I think it’s you.

Well, let's not be hasty.  Ricky has a plausible translation...

The OP sought and received a preliminary assessment based on observable symptoms.

He was then advised to send the coins to a TPGS for a formal diagnosis, including authentication, grading, certification and encapsulation.

For my part, I see a somewhat concerning tendency to rely on the Chat Board as a sounding board to screen coins in an attempt to bypass the tedious process of learning and get right down to brass tacks... this is what I have, what is your collective opinion on grade and is it worth sending in?

This is more often the case with coins individuals inherit. Their primary focus is value.

It's either running it by the Forum or Rick's pawnshop...Is any of this stuff worth anything? Well, give me what you think it's worth.

I've been at this hobby for 45+ years and I am STILL learning. That should tell you how much you will need to learn. It took me quite a while here for me in this forum to establish even a shred of credibility. There's that too.

The Buffalo Nickel will not get graded because it has no date.

A 1982 small date Lincoln Memorial cent that is circulated is worth face value. It is the 1982 D Lincoln Memorial small date bronze transitional cent that is worth $$ and we can't tell you from a photo whether it is one or not because it has to be weighed to the hundredth of a gram. 

You have one legit off center strike error. The rest of the cents just look damaged. 

The Ike dollars need to be in perfect shape to be worth the cost of grading.

The nickel picture is so poor I have no comment on that.

Your SBA narrow rim dollar is well circulated and probably will grade AU.

You have A LOT to learn. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but it is your money. Submit what you want. It is your $$$. I hope you get the grades you think you will get and if not it will be an expensive learning lesson. I will only tell people so much before I let them to their own devices.

And by the way, using the internet to learn this hobby is the absolute worst way to try to learn it. The internet when it comes to numismatics has more untrue and dishonest information across it than it does accurate, correct, and truthful information. Once again, your choice.

Edited by powermad5000

On 6/16/2024 at 9:19 PM, powermad5000 said:

I've been at this hobby for 45+ years and I am STILL learning. That should tell you how much you will need to learn. It took me quite a while here for me in this forum to establish even a shred of credibility. There's that too.

The Buffalo Nickel will not get graded because it has no date.

A 1982 small date Lincoln Memorial cent that is circulated is worth face value. It is the 1982 D Lincoln Memorial small date bronze transitional cent that is worth $$ and we can't tell you from a photo whether it is one or not because it has to be weighed to the hundredth of a gram. 

You have one legit off center strike error. The rest of the cents just look damaged. 

The Ike dollars need to be in perfect shape to be worth the cost of grading.

The nickel picture is so poor I have no comment on that.

Your SBA narrow rim dollar is well circulated and probably will grade AU.

You have A LOT to learn. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but it is your money. Submit what you want. It is your $$$. I hope you get the grades you think you will get and if not it will be an expensive learning lesson. I will only tell people so much before I let them to their own devices.

And by the way, using the internet to learn this hobby is the absolute worst way to try to learn it. The internet when it comes to numismatics has more untrue and dishonest information across it than it does accurate, correct, and truthful information. Once again, your choice.

I want to magnify this last paragraph, and tell newbies WHY the Internet is a messed up way to learn about coins. The incentives are all cockeyed. Clicks are almost NEVER containing good information. The best numismatic information on the web is horribly difficult to navigate, and not newbie friendly. It's not much of an exaggeration to say that if you ran across easy to understand information on coins online, it's almost definitely wrong. If you REALLY want to understand coins, join the ANA, go to coin shows, find a coin club, and read "dead tree" books. The shortcuts in this field pretty much all suck.

Edited by VKurtB