• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are one of these sms 1964
1 1

14 posts in this topic

1964 is the highest mintage year for Jefferson nickels, what about these three make you think they may be SMS? 

Well I was hoping the one on the left was being that it's a perfect strike an super shiny but idk

Well, there is a lot of mystery and speculation about the so called 1964 sms coins, but none have ever been found in circulation, rolls, sets etc. and it is widely accepted that none were released to the public in any way.  You can compare specific die markers or post better pictures front and back, but there is really no chance that yours is anything but a normal 1964 nickel.

Edited by l.cutler

The original SMS nickels were only produced for 1965,66 and 67 never for 1964.

The so-called (and misnamed) 1964 "SMS" coins were apparently first strikes made for presentation purposes from new, highly polished dies showing an unusual matte-like finish and many die polish marks and were well-struck. Based on the photos you provided, your coins do not have this finish or strike. The so-called "SMS" coins apparently originate from a particular source and are not found among coins issued for circulation. Moreover, they were struck at the Philadelphia mint with no mint mark, and your coins are both 1964-Ds, struck at the Denver mint with a "D" mint mark. They couldn't possibly be the so-called "SMS" pieces.

You are obviously a victim of internet disinformation and a lack of proper numismatic education. Please see the following forum topics for reliable print and online resources from which you may learn about U.S. coins:

On 6/13/2024 at 12:32 PM, Coinbuf said:

No.

Listen to this man. He is correct. None of these are SMS coins. 

Let me see if I understand this correctly.  Untold quadrillions (I exaggerate) of Proof Sets were broken up and untold quintillions of unciculated Mint sets (I embroider) were cut up resulting in The Great Change shortage for collectors I wasn't even aware of to an extent that the member with the King Tut headdress mourns their loss and predicts, after consultation with industry soothsayers, that they will enjoy an unparalleled resurgence in popularity.  Every coin ever minted in world history has found its way in the netherworld known as "circulation," including Proofs, Uncs -- and presumably Lydian staters.  Every coin, that is, except those belonging to the gentleman known only by his initials, SMS. According to member Sandon, not given to making grandiose statements, no SMS coins have been found in circulation. While I have no choice but to concede the point he made regarding the coins are of Philadelphian provenance, I am unable (actually, unwilling) to accept the old wives' tale that none have been found in circulation. Surely, in 50 years, any released into circulation, inadvertently or otherwise, simply lost the very characteristic that made them special to begin with.  They're out there all right!  I can feel it in the very marrow of my bones. The problem is they are no longer recognized as such.

On 6/14/2024 at 11:58 AM, Henri Charriere said:

I am unable (actually, unwilling) to accept the old wives' tale that none have been found in circulation.

On 6/14/2024 at 11:58 AM, Henri Charriere said:

The problem is they are no longer recognized as such.

This is the numismatic field. These two statements above are logically identical. To exist and to be recognized by the hobby’s “powers that be” is the very same concept, no difference whatsoever. This is also what perpetually “urines off” Roger. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/14/2024 at 10:48 PM, VKurtB said:

This is the numismatic field. These two statements above are logically identical. To exist and to be recognized by the hobby’s “powers that be” is the very same concept, no difference whatsoever. This is also what perpetually “urines off” Roger. 

There is a difference, it's merely not well stated.

1. Coins made with a specific die pair might or might not have been placed into general circulation.

2. Someone might or might not have identified one of these pieces, depending on multiple circumstances.

3. If pieces placed into circulation were not withdrawn soon after entering circulation, ordinary abrasion and near-look-alike coins would render it unlikely any might be found.

PS: No "Special Mint Sets" were produced in 1964. These began only with the 1965-date coinage. Hence, no "1964 SMS" coins can exist by definition. Anything contrary, is a lie and a misrepresentation.

Edited by RWB

On 6/15/2024 at 12:01 PM, RWB said:

There is a difference, it's merely not well stated.

1. Coins made with a specific die pair might or might not have been placed into general circulation.

2. Someone might or might not have identified one of these pieces, depending on multiple circumstances.

3. If pieces placed into circulation were not withdrawn soon after entering circulation, ordinary abrasion and near-look-alike coins would render it unlikely any might be found.

PS: No "Special Mint Sets" were produced in 1964. These began only with the 1965-date coinage. Hence, no "1964 SMS" coins can exist by definition. Anything contrary, is a lie and a misrepresentation.

Here’s the essential problem. The numismatic powers that be have “declared” (?) that there are some so-called SMS coins from 1964. Several eye witnesses on this very board have declared they are special and different. These include some of the most august names in the entire field. That does NOT MEAN that they are legitimate SMS coins, just that they are distinct, distinguishable, and identifiable. AND THEY ALWAYS WILL BE SO. The only disagreement is what to call them that includes truth and recognizes their special status. So far, the key factor seems to be a nexus with the estate of a past Mint Director. What shall we call these? That’s the only question. 

Edited by VKurtB