• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do when NGC accidentally grades a Proof coin MS 70 instead of PF 70
1 1

37 posts in this topic

On 6/10/2024 at 12:09 AM, VKurtB said:

Wait until you attempt to sell and you find nobody is offering over melt for your PF70 and MS70 coins. 

There is another small matter that has not been addressed here...

If an encapsulated coin develops a "change of appearance" say, milk- or carbon-spots or unexplained hazing, the loss will not be as substantial on at least 80% of the Sheldon scale. There is a "warrant of habitability" as it were, on slabbed coins, beyond which the guarantee no longer applies.  I heard 10 years mentioned once, but the matter was quietly dropped.  Suffice it to say, maintaining an ideal storage environment ought to be the primary concern of all owners of encapsulated high tier coins that are scarce with exceptionally high values who intend to keep their bounty for an extended period of time.

On 6/18/2024 at 7:42 PM, Henri Charriere said:

There is another small matter that has not been addressed here...

If an encapsulated coin develops a "change of appearance" say, milk- or carbon-spots or unexplained hazing, the loss will not be as substantial on at least 80% of the Sheldon scale. There is a "warrant of habitability" as it were, on slabbed coins, beyond which the guarantee no longer applies.  I heard 10 years mentioned once, but the matter was quietly dropped.  Suffice it to say, maintaining an ideal storage environment ought to be the primary concern of all owners of encapsulated high tier coins that are scarce with exceptionally high values who intend to keep their bounty for an extended period of time.

This is a fascinating topic to me, the whole milk/carbon spot and especially the blue haze found typically on proof Eisenhowers. I have SOME hazy blue Ikes, but the ones my family bought in the 1970's are immaculate; no haze. I have not even a single ASE with milk spots. Do NOT expect me to reveal the secret. I can't. I have no clue. I understand milk spots; I've seen a ton of them; but never on my coins. I SUSPECT as my coins' storage history becomes less Pennsylvania and more Alabama, I will become afflicted, but I can't be sure yet. 

Carbon spots? Gold, right? Not enough sample size.

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/19/2024 at 6:17 PM, VKurtB said:

I SUSPECT as my coins' storage history becomes less Pennsylvania and more Alabama, I will become afflicted, but I can't be sure yet. Carbon spots? Gold, right? Not enough sample size.

I can't see a difference in PA vs. AL.  If you were talking Alaska vs. Arizona, maybe.xD

On 6/23/2024 at 5:54 AM, J P M said:

I can see a difference PA can be humid in the summer, but Bama is humid most of the time.

Yes, except where I am, at literally the highest point in Alabama. We don't GET floods, we send them.

On 6/23/2024 at 9:47 AM, RonnieR131 said:

VKurtB My cousins daughter is a park ranger at Cheaha State Park, raised in Talladega. You must be close by. Flash flooded alot this Spring in the park sending rainwater downstreams. Was humid as H.

'Dega is about an hour and a half south and east, the best route to Atlanta from my home.