• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Regrade Anacs
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

No. NGC only has a "crossover" service for coins submitted in PCGS holders. See NGC: Tips For Using NGC CrossOver Service | NGC (ngccoin.com)

It does not appear that your Jefferson nickel would qualify for a "full steps" designation at any service due to the incomplete areas of the two bottom steps and the nicks and scratches in the steps. It also does not appear that your Franklin half dollar would qualify for a "Full Bell Lines" designation due to the incompleteness of the bottom set of lines.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

If you mean will the coins crossover and keep the grade they have in the ANACS slab, the answer is no. Each service will look at the coin as if it has never been graded before and will grade it according to their standards.

As stated by Just Bob, you do not have FS (full steps) on your nickel due to the numerous hits across them, and you do not have FBL (full bell lines) on your Franklin half. In order to get the FBL designation, aside from the crack in the bell which is part of the design, all of the horizontal lines across the bottom of the bell need to be complete all the way across with no hits and no wear on them. Your Franklin suffers from both issues.

Posted (edited)

Speaking GENERALLY about ANACS, not specially of the chances of a successful crossover, the quality reputation of ANACS varies considerably over time. The smaller slab ANACS was generally more highly regarded than the more “modern” ANACS with the “quarter round” slab top. Why? Complete changes of ownership and standards. You can buy a firm’s assets and name, but seldom their reputation.  

Edited by VKurtB

What's the percentage chances of NGC agreeing with a ANACS Grade? If I sent in an ANACS 70, what would NGC most likely grade it? And what's the chance the 70 will hold true and the coin will come back an NGC 70

On 6/4/2024 at 12:16 AM, Coinbuf said:

....   NGC does not accept crossovers from any other TPG except PCGS, so you would have to crack these coins out and submit them raw to NGC....

@Captain Murder :  Hereinabove, is the answer to your question.

Now, onto yet another revelation apparently withheld from me ever since I became a member: the probable genesis of the crack-out phenomenon stated so matter-of-factly that even a cautious reader would miss it.  As it has already been established NGC will not accept ANACS encapsulations for cross-over consideration, it stands to reason (if not against your religious beliefs) you will crack the coin out and submit it raw. Coinbuf's suggestion you resubmit your coin to ANACS is inapplicable as other members have already deemed your coin to be ineligible for the attributions sought:  FS and FBL.

Finally, a credible answer to the eternal question:  What was the origin of the crack-out influenza?  A leak from a lab?  No.  Hoped-for increase in value with an incremental elevation in grade. Yes.  But NGC's stance on barring holders of all other TPGS other than PCGS from entering their inner sanctum is a monumental observation. Man, I love this place!

On 6/3/2024 at 11:41 PM, MadMollie said:

…Will ngc regrade coin for attributes for Full bell lines or Full steps without lowering the grade ?

Picture_20240603093352.jpg

Picture_20240603094143.jpg

Excellent photos!  It is by sheer dint of luck you received valid advice from a coterie of highly-acclaimed members.  Had you not confided ANACS was the TPGS used in your title, you would have squandered your money. I do hope the answers you received did not make you any madder than you are. No hobbyist can claim to have gone through the experience of collecting unscathed.  You've got lovely coins there. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and move on.  All the best!

On 6/4/2024 at 2:28 PM, VKurtB said:

....The smaller slab ANACS was generally more highly regarded than the more “modern” ANACS with the “quarter round” slab top....

"Quarter round," eh?  I would love to call you out and suggest you invented this term, but it is so fitting.  Looks like I am going to have to let you slide on this and commend you for broadening the "body of knowledge."  (thumbsu

On 6/5/2024 at 5:35 PM, Captain Murder said:

What's the percentage chances of NGC agreeing with a ANACS Grade? If I sent in an ANACS 70, what would NGC most likely grade it? And what's the chance the 70 will hold true and the coin will come back an NGC 70

Fairly tiny. 

I hope you fully understand that even had the FBL and FS (any steps below 5 FS are ineligible for attribute consideration) you still have the not weighty matter of decapsulation to consider. If any "damage" were to result from a coin presumably deemed flawless, by you -- or the TPGS involved, the MS-70 grade formerly bestowed on it would be lost irretrievably. (I believe TPGSs cannot be held liable after you sign that consent form.) Since the coins lack the attributes you were hoping for, it is best to leave them, as is, stored in a safe environment.  You should consider yourself lucky you sought a second opinion, and got several from Members well-versed in this matter, free of charge.  

I agree with the others, do not try to cross over these coins you will not get your current grades.