• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My latest acquisition: 1922 Peace Dollar
1 1

Approximate Grade  

1. 1. Approximate Grade

• AU 59
    • MS 60

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I recently visited a small coin show and picked up a few pieces, among these I obtained a 1922 Peace Dollar, and it's not half bad. 

PEDIT21.thumb.jpg.e6a162fe9fdb847a3ca6541406e98138.jpgPEDIT22.thumb.jpg.be4d4e16eefbfbb1998c4c51226b1807.jpg

Looks to me like a MS 61, though it does have some kind of heavy corrosion. I purchased it for $25, which though it has a few flaws it really isn't a bad price.

I do have a few questions:

A: Do I need to worry about that corrosion? It's not too bad right now but I want to make sure it doesn't get worse. 

B: What grade would you peg this at? I'm not worried about value, just wanting to get a second opinion. 

C: This is genuine right? :whistle:

BTW, those two scratches toward the mid-left of the coin are on the plastic, not on the coin.

Thanks. Also, don't mind the poll, I just wanted to try it out. (Feel free to do it though). =D

Sorry to say. The corrosion looks like what we call carbon spots. They are in the silver and are a part of the coin now. 

I still can't get over the fact you posted this THING on that other thread.

I see no socially redeeming aspect of this coin. If you needed an ashtray, anyone on the Forum would have volunteered go get you one.

You have volcanoes which appear to have erupted and you're concerned about, what?  A scratch!

What you have here is someone's former nitemare!  The coin has zero numismatic value.  Why do you think it was sold to you for a pittance above melt?

I have advocated for an AU-59 grade but the powers that be laughed me out of the room.  It exists somewhere in the Twilight Zone, but is inapplicable and irrelevant here.

I am very much aware your joke is on me, but frankly, I can take being punked. Tomorrow is another day.  Cheers!

On 6/3/2024 at 7:56 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I still can't get over the fact you posted this THING on that other thread.

I see no socially redeeming aspect of this coin. If you needed an ashtray, anyone on the Forum would have volunteered go get you one.

You have volcanoes which appear to have erupted and you're concerned about, what?  A scratch!

What you have here is someone's former nitemare!  The coin has zero numismatic value.  Why do you think it was sold to you for a pittance above melt?

I have advocated for an AU-59 grade but the powers that be laughed me out of the room.  It exists somewhere in the Twilight Zone, but is inapplicable and irrelevant here.

I am very much aware your joke is on me, but frankly, I can take being punked. Tomorrow is another day.  Cheers!

Ok. Thanks, lol. I still like it, being a circulation collector. =D

I would say for this common date high mintage of the series (51,737,000), with the obvious damage to the surfaces of both sides, it would be at best an AU Details grade for either corrosion or environmental damage. Some of those black spots are well advanced beyond just toning from a hole in the plastic of the cardboard flip. Even the best conservation efforts would still leave this coin with a very unappealing look.

The good news is you only paid a price near melt. Your stated thinking that it only has a few flaws suggests that you need much more education and research into the hobby. What happened here is the seller basically waited long enough to find a "sucker" (you) to unload this problem coin onto. My advice is to follow the steps stated by Coinbuf to give it a soak in some acetone, and put it into a new cardboard flip, but my addition to that is to NOT wait for fluctuations in market price but to unload this coin as quickly as possible and try to get your $25 back on the deal. This means selling it on eBay. A dealer is not going to give you the full $25 for it.

Once you have divested yourself of this piece, please do more research on collecting in general. There is nothing wrong with collecting coins that have circulated and there are many collectors who do just that. Some key dates you will only find as circulated pieces. But you should learn the difference between circulated and problem coin.