• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

is this a letter below de date?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Does this cent have a letter below the date or is it some other type of error that makes it look that way? It doesn't look like corrosion damage to me.

WhatsApp Image 2024-06-03 at 8.00.35 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-06-03 at 8.13.30 AM.jpeg

How do you imagine that characters get onto coins? There is no California job case of movable type that holds letterpress type, you know. 

“ California Job Case”, haven’t heard that term in a while. Reminds me many years ago when I first started out in printing setting type by hand from such a case. Then along came computerized typesetting and they went the way of the do-do bird.  I used to have one on my wall, they made great small ornament racks.

What is a "De Date"???   Nver heard that coin term before.   Just another example of how a microscope leads people down useless rabbit holes.

On 6/3/2024 at 1:34 PM, Coinbuf said:

example of how a microscope leads people down useless rabbit holes

Amen, amen, amen. 

I thought the name of the Forum was Newbie Coin Collecting Questions and not “a useful answer and 4 stupidities to answer something and look like the scholar”.
If I knew the answer to what I was asking in the first place I wouldn't have asked. But thanks anyway.

On 6/3/2024 at 5:07 PM, blankcoin said:

I thought the name of the Forum was Newbie Coin Collecting Questions and not “a useful answer and 4 stupidities to answer something and look like the scholar”.
If I knew the answer to what I was asking in the first place I wouldn't have asked. But thanks anyway.

Being new does not justify believing in fairy tales. There is logic to consider, even if you had never thought about a coin before yesterday. 

Welcome , Many of the zinc coins have stains and blisters. Many new collectors post coins with these thinking there is something wrong with the coins.

On 6/3/2024 at 6:07 PM, blankcoin said:

Your not wrong, but many people in this forum (not me, I'm new) are tired of seeing the constant topics about "error" and similar coins. Your best bet, ignore thoughts of rare errors, ditch the microscope, and you'll have a lot of fun collecting.

Posted (edited)

Without being provided clear fully cropped photos of both sides of the coin in question here as well as your closeup photos, I can only tell that there is some bubbling of the plating on this coin. Many of these copper plated zinc core cents had issues with the plating from bubbling to splitting to cracking to flaking off. What little I can see of the rest of the coin is that it is also circulated and the surface has suffered some possible additional environmental damage.

To be clear, there is no error on this coin, just some of the production issues the Mint dealt with on these copper plated zinc cents.

Edited by powermad5000

I am very wary of those who cry "ERROR" 36 years after the mintage date. However, there is a possibility, however remote, that what you may have is an "8" over "8".  But, unfortunately, you will likely never be able to explain the mechanics involved in being able to accomplish that contortionist act. 

The problem is some of the members on this Forum are so experienced that they require three seconds, if that, to consider all the possibilities. 

Your only recourse is to thank everyone for their time, excuse yourself graciously, and advise you have accepted the best offer someone made for it which was $1.37 million + shipping.  🤣

Never concede defeat. Always hold your head up high.