• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1893 Morgan Dollar 2 strikes
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I found this coin in a coin market where I currently live (not in the United States). How do I know it is real or at least real enough to send it to be graded?

aaaa.png

morgan_2strikes.jpg

morgan2.jpg

This purported double struck 1893 Morgan dollar is an obvious counterfeit, probably made in China over the past two decades, as have countless other fakes. The date numerals and many fine details are wrong.  Compare it with the image of a genuine 1893 Morgan dollar at 1893 $1 MS | Coin Explorer | NGC (ngccoin.com).  

Compared to the real one, she looks like Botox was injected into her lips. Something already seemed odd about the color and weight because it is almost 1g off the original weight. Thanks for the reply.

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2024 at 1:57 PM, blankcoin said:

How do I know it is real or at least real enough to send it to be graded?

Why would you buy something without answering this question first? Also real enough to be graded would mean it was REAL. There's no such thing as "real enough". Its either real or not. Yours is definitely NOT REAL ENOUGH that's for sure and there is such a thing as that.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The coin you have is a very poor counterfeit with many details incorrect on both sides. Even if it was properly centered, it would still be easy to tell it is not genuine. I hope you didn't spend any money to acquire this poor fake.

Those can be purchased directly from the counterfeiters in China for $1.79 US, including shipping.

On 5/30/2024 at 7:07 PM, Just Bob said:

Those can be purchased directly from the counterfeiters in China for $1.79 US, including shipping.

I have seen this thing on the web before.

soooo...is it a matter of when does a turd stink the most?

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 6:59 PM, RWB said:

soooo...is it a matter of when does a turd stink the most?

A good sized majority of the numismatic hobby is a floating turd regatta. Only a TIIIIIIINY sliver is legit. My particular sliver is the ANA Summer Seminar and large coin shows that have educational talks which ALLOW QUESTIONING AND LIVE INTERACTION. In my talk at Colorado Springs last year in June, I not only allowed questions, I encouraged them to interrupt as if I were presenting a case in an appellate court. The attendees appreciated the style. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/3/2024 at 8:29 AM, blankcoin said:

I didn't buy it, I just wanted to ask out of curiosity and to learn of course. Thank you all for your comments

It is always best to ask first . Good for you