• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 d Lincoln Cent? 1981 d? Same coin
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just some glue, no idea why anyone would want to glue two cents together.   While it is possible that these were glued together neither is an error of any kind.

Edited by Coinbuf

Have seen this many times.  
Put some glue on a coin and press another one onto it. Should come off with acetone unless you want to leave it.

My esteemed colleagues didn’t mention the OTHER date and mint mark on the left shoulder. It is reversed meaning that someone pressed it into the coin using a vise or similar object. Not an error but also PMD

I have to vote in the camp of Mr. Bill on this one. It looks like a combo thing to me. There may have actually been three cents involved in this. The reverse has a big glue spot in the middle, as well as the obverse has a big glue spot on top of Lincoln's bust. However, the 74 D looks partially cracked and has rim damage. I would say at some point the 74 D was the cent in the middle of a three cent vise job involving glue.

Posted (edited)

This effect is caused by the coin being swallowed by a large bear that lives in the mountains of Denver Co. Each year a giant bear terrorizes the mint employees by storming the facility and eating as much change as it can before the winter. The mint has no information on the total amount or denominations of the change consumed but the bears droppings have shown these coins interspersed among the fecal matter. Some intrepid fools actually pick these up. I say it's just a Leavatrite. Leave it right there on the ground.

Edited by Mike Meenderink