• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kansas 2005 Several Errors Your Input Is Appreciated
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi, in need of your opinion.Is it worth it to put my coin in a junk box or try listing it. I'm fairly new to collecting,  yet this particular coin has my attention. Weighing at 6 grams.

CM240525-151649001.jpg

CM240525-151928007.jpg

Edited by Baby Jolynn
Spelling

Wow lots of damage from a corrosive of some kind

Posted (edited)

The coin appears to have been struck through a large amount of grease. Although technically an error its really just a quality control issue for the mint. When grease gets on the dies it can cause the details to be distorted, mushy and wavy just like the coin above shows. It's not worth a lot of money and is actually quite common. Some collectors like these as an example of a struck through grease coin. Cheers!

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Have to disagree with you Mike, not a greaser.  It is just badly corroded with no numismatic value.   
If it was grease filled, it would not affect the rims. That quarter has the rims partially mossing on both sides.   
Also grease filled would have a much smoother appearance and not show any of the copper core.

BabyJolynn   
If you are weighing coins, an accurate weight to two decimal points is required.

On 5/27/2024 at 10:15 AM, ldhair said:

Something corrosive created the pits in the surface. I'm thinking it's all corrosion.  

Clearly the corrosive thing was my attitude. :roflmao:

Posted (edited)

Corrosion or acid does not leave large mis struck details like the giant goiter looking thing under the neck. You are all wrong. Acids take away they do not add or deform. It may also be corrosion on the coin, but it was struck through grease first. If you can explain how the mis struck details are due to acid damage ... please do.. can't wait to hear this.. Think guys think.

j08py63o.png

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2024 at 6:36 AM, Greenstang said:

If it was grease filled, it would not affect the rims.

That is incorrect. When a large amount of grease gets into the dies the hydrostatic pressure of the grease under pressure is sufficient to squeeze out of the collar and deform the rims. Also this situation can cause the coin to become unseated from the die collar and float causing the rims to be flattened in some cases.

Damaged and worthless.

To the Original Poster (OP): you!...

Never in my wildest dreams have I ever witnessed a more unfortunate debut. Worse, it has elicited debate and discussion in a dozen posts!

I believe RWB, our Grandmaster, has your coin pegged right. (His post lies directly above this one.)

I have been told never to offer any criticism or advice unless you have a constructive solution. My solution is to make you an offer you couldn't refuse: offer you coins your junk box would be proud to hold but only if you throw your eyesore into the gutter, street or stream, whichever is most covenient to you..  Quite frankly, your [I hesitate to call it a "coin"] is not worthy of discussion.

If you TAP my name on this post, it will take you to my member page.  TAP the envelope sign there and if you would be kind enough to provide me with a name and address, does not have to be yours [ or P.O. BOX] of someone you trust to receive mail, I will be happy to ship to you, at my expense, an array of coins that will be sure to make your day. Among them... Wheaties, old nickels, dimes, quarters, Kennedy halves with silver, small dollar coins, tokens -- even the lowest ball so low NGC declined to certify it.

Honestly, opinions are all well and good.  I would rather you walk away from this debacle with a good feeling.  :preach:

The goiter looking area is what I believe is heat damage.  The outer clad layer separates and bubbles up.  My opinion, right or wrong.  Struck through grease also takes away details, it doesn't add any raised areas. 

On 5/27/2024 at 3:01 PM, l.cutler said:

The goiter looking area is what I believe is heat damage.  The outer clad layer separates and bubbles up.  My opinion, right or wrong.  Struck through grease also takes away details, it doesn't add any raised areas. 

As you I thought this as well... The coin exhibits a condition much like heat damage, but the coloring of the coin shows no evidence of being subjected to high heat. If the temperature reached a high enough degree to deform or begin to melt this coin the coin would be discolored bluish purple and red brown from oxidation. This is a worn circulated struck through heavy grease coin. You can tell by imagining the hydrostatic pressure of the extra unwanted grease prevented a full closure of the dies which caused the metal to flow out from under Washingtons chin and other areas. The reverse was obliterated from this effect as it was swimming in grease as well.

Sorry mike, I go with my original statement and add what I.cutler said about the heat.  You can see on the reverse what looks to be where the tip of the torch was held. That caused the reverse and front to separate and bubble. Any bluing or discoloration was long removed with the acid bath. IMHO. I can't prove it but that's my 25 cents worth. People do strange things to coins all the time and guys in garages love to experiment at the end of the day. .

Posted (edited)

I rest my case. Believe what you will. I don't see someone "fixing" this coin after it was heated. Why would you do that? Also, the colors from heating would not be removed by acid if heat damaged because those colors are due to molecular re alignments of the metal itself from the heating and the "bluing" is deep within the surface of the coin. I've collected these struck through grease coins as I've come across them. It matches many of the requirements. Cheers

On 5/27/2024 at 6:36 AM, Greenstang said:

Have to disagree with you Mike, not a greaser.  It is just badly corroded with no numismatic value.   
If it was grease filled, it would not affect the rims. That quarter has the rims partially mossing on both sides.   
Also grease filled would have a much smoother appearance and not show any of the copper core.

BabyJolynn   
If you are weighing coins, an accurate weight to two decimal points is required.

I see ty... so much

On 5/27/2024 at 5:39 AM, J P M said:

Wow lots of damage from a corrosive of some kind

Ty.. for the input

CM240527-161525006.jpg

CM240527-160946002.jpg

CM240527-161312004.jpg

CM240527-161019003.jpg

On 5/27/2024 at 4:27 PM, l.cutler said:

We’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Well I thank you all for your your input. It was quite an experience of the replies but I said I'm new to this and but still I just had to  know? Thank you enclosed. 4 new photos, thank you all

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I am a little late to the party, but I think this is a "campfire" coin meaning it was exposed to some form of heat (think propane torch or MAP gas torch, or even just rigged above a candle for a long period of time) enough to heat up some of the metal to get it to pool slightly explaining the distorted details. This level of heat also damages the clad layer exposing the core to accelerated environmental damage without the coin then having its full clad layer intact. Not all forms of slow heating will cause the color of the metal to change. A torch used for a long and slow heating process will gradually heat the metal to melt temperature without discoloration and that same heat will obviously transfer to the reverse of the coin although more slowly than where the heat is initially applied. Much like braze welding, the goal is not to bring the metal to the melting point quickly versus as in typical MIG/TIG welding where there is a change of coloration to the metals being joined due to the fast, high temperature heating of the metals. The weight seems too high to begin with, but also in my opinion discounts any type of acid bath or corrosive as that would reduce the weight to below mint tolerance.

Seeing as you gave us the weight to not even a tenth of a decimal point is not exactly helpful. Numismatists typically weigh coins to the hundredth of a decimal place (0.01g). Any scales not weighing to this level of accuracy are not sufficient to be used for numismatic purposes as scales weighing to only the tenth decimal place (0.1g) will either round up or down to the closest highest or lowest weight to the object on the tray.

On 5/27/2024 at 1:38 PM, Henri Charriere said:

To the Original Poster (OP): you!...

Never in my wildest dreams have I ever witnessed a more unfortunate debut. Worse, it has elicited debate and discussion in a dozen posts!

I believe RWB, our Grandmaster, has your coin pegged right. (His post lies directly above this one.)

I have been told never to offer any criticism or advice unless you have a constructive solution. My solution is to make you an offer you couldn't refuse: offer you coins your junk box would be proud to hold but only if you throw your eyesore into the gutter, street or stream, whichever is most covenient to you..  Quite frankly, your [I hesitate to call it a "coin"] is not worthy of discussion.

If you TAP my name on this post, it will take you to my member page.  TAP the envelope sign there and if you would be kind enough to provide me with a name and address, does not have to be yours [ or P.O. BOX] of someone you trust to receive mail, I will be happy to ship to you, at my expense, an array of coins that will be sure to make your day. Among them... Wheaties, old nickels, dimes, quarters, Kennedy halves with silver, small dollar coins, tokens -- even the lowest ball so low NGC declined to certify it.

Honestly, opinions are all well and good.  I would rather you walk away from this debacle with a good feeling.  :preach:

Yes hi, you have given me a good feeling and I've walked away. You're awesome thank you !