• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Never clean your coins. Wrong. Never Improperly clean your coins. Lesson 1: Using Acetone to clean a coin.
1 1

59 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Pure Acetone (nail polish remover) can be used to SAFELY remove organic contaminants from the surface of even the most precious coins in the world. Acetone is non-reactive with metal of any type and will not alter or damage the surface of most coins. Acetone is effective at dissolving and removing organic based surface contaminates such as grease, wax, pvc residue, certain types of other organic materials as well as oil-based paints or coatings like shellac or clear lacquer. Using a Q tip soak Q tip in acetone and in a light pressure motion swirl the Q tip on the surface of the coin. While applying light pressure check the tip of the Q tip for black or green staining. If you see this you know it's working. Continue to dip and swirl with several Q tips as you exchange them out for clean ones. The Acetone will evaporate quickly and leave no trace on the coin. An optional dip bath in Distilled water and pat dry (do not rub) and its done. This process can improve the look of your coins without harming them in any way. See below images of a recently conserved Flying Eagle Cent I did first pic before next pic after. All black smudges and dirt removed. Purchased online for very cheap. Conserved fully with just 1 simple process.  Coin is very nice now and as good as it can be. Ready for my typeset. You can have similar results without risking anything. Try it out. Cheers!image.thumb.jpeg.f507c164a28e272e89f1ed915c1dcad1.jpeg

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 2:12 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

image.thumb.jpeg.f507c164a28e272e89f1ed915c1dcad1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5f7f3b27391b4e47e729549270ec2d6a.jpeg

Okay, fine, never clean a coin. Why?  Because Mike and a gaggle of others say so. Scenario: Drop a coin in the mud, find an open fire hydrant  and before I can make my move, someone whose credentials are unimpeachable will say (now that I've shorn my meter-long beard) "Son, I wouldn't do that if I were you." Startled, I would look up and say, "But this water's been voted the cleanest, best-tasting, most refreshing water in blind taste tests conducted with brand-name waters from all over the world!" He'll come back with, "Maybe so, but it's not distilled." End of conversation...

So water is out, but a chemical is in?

Look at your coin.  The one on top looks normal, circulated, and naturally brown with age.  Now take a look at the bottom.  It looks CLEANED !!!  :whatthe:. Positively, unmistakeably pale!  CuNi-ish!

All traces of the surgery that was conducted on the eagle leaving a scar where some [Expletive deleted] shot an arrow at the lower end of its neck was removed. No plastic surgery needed!  The wonder drug, acetone, obliterated all traces of it. I do not believe it is worthy of submission, but if you came looking for me I'd be the guy sitting outside on the fence next to the security booth at NGC HQ waiting for a preliminary assessment.  🤣

I have always thought tipping someone with a dirty coin or bill was inconsiderate. The same goes for submissions -- and posting photos. (And I agree, hands should be washed and finger nails cleaned and trimmed when displaying coins.)  Incidentally, do you perceive any conflict in advising collectors to "apply light pressure" while using a cotton swab with a chemical, and suggesting coins be "pat dried (do not rub)" after using water?  🤣

Of all the metals used, I believe gold to be the least problematic. I also believe original mint luster should never be sacrificed for a face lift. Dependent upon circumstances, any problems encontered, including all rare coins, regardless of condition, should be addressed by conservationists. Guess I'll wait to see what other members have to say.

(Note:  The foregoing comments are made good-naturedly, and posted at the sole discretion of moderation.)

Edited by Henri Charriere
Routine die polisjing.

Acetone is a great product but nail polish remover is not a good idea. 

The method shown by the OP is not the proper way to use acetone.

It's one of the worst methods I have ever seen anyone post. Don't try it using that method. 

On 5/24/2024 at 9:15 AM, ldhair said:

It's one of the worst methods I have ever seen anyone post. Don't try it using that method

What's your method please tell me how you do it so right. Cant wait to hear this.

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 9:31 AM, Sandon said:

I have seen a thoroughly moistened cotton swab leave hairline scratches on a proof coin

Those were already there before the q tip touched it and I'm not talking about proof coins here. If a proof needs to be acetone cleaned its junk to begin with. You know as well as I do this is a proper method used all over the world by professional numismatists/ conservationists...If you say otherwise your full of it and think you're a know it all.

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 9:15 AM, ldhair said:

Acetone is a great product but nail polish remover is not a good idea. 

Hey Rocket Scientist 100% pure Acetone is nail polish remover.  If you don't know that then your "advice " is a bit suspect. Don't listen to ID he's wrong and doesn't know what he is talking about. This process is done all the time to coins. It's perfectly fine. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 6:04 AM, Henri Charriere said:

Look at your coin.  The one on top looks normal, circulated, and naturally brown with age

Thats ALL dirt, grease, skin oils and other contaminants. The coin is not quite as washed out as the 2nd pic made it look. It looks right now. See last pic. (I now took down the washed-out pic to prevent the know it all's from trying to say it hurt the coin.)

Also, all you Danny Downers never even mentioned the fact that the black smudges and other debris was removed from the coin. Everyone wants to be the teacher or the master. You sound silly saying this process is bad when the positive evidence is right in front of your eyes. Classic NGC chat trolls.

On 5/24/2024 at 12:55 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

You guys are full of it.

Some of us here know the truth. You have much to learn.

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 11:53 AM, ldhair said:

Some of us here know the truth. You have much to learn.

You are full of it ID.  You know the truth but didn't know acetone was nail polish remover? Hmmm Tell me your method. Teach me to know what you don't know please.

On 5/24/2024 at 12:57 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

What's your method please tell me how you do it so right. Cant wait to hear this.

No. Not for you. I won't teach people like you that have little understanding of the topic.

On 5/24/2024 at 1:00 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

If a proof needs to be acetone cleaned its junk to begin with.

Wrong. Some proofs can be helped with an acetone bath. Knowing if a proof or an MS coin can be helped is something that must be learned.

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 12:08 PM, ldhair said:

Wrong. Some proofs can be helped with an acetone bath. Knowing if a proof or an MS coin can be helped is something that must be learned.

It will be impaired after as it was prior. Just look better and easier to distinguish strike character sure we all know that

On 5/24/2024 at 1:04 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

Hey Rocket scientist 100% pure Acetone is nail polish remover.  If you don't know that then your "advice " is a bit suspect. Don't listen to ID he's wrong and doesn't know what he is talking about. This process is done all the time to coins. It's perfectly fine. 

Ask yourself this. Why does nail polish remover have such a nice smell? That's not the acetone you are smelling. The acetone may be 100% but there are other things added to it.

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 12:28 PM, ldhair said:

Ask yourself this. Why does nail polish remover have such a nice smell? That's not the acetone you are smelling. The acetone may be 100% but there are other things added to it.

When the container says 100% PURE Acetone and the ingredients say: Acetone 100% w (Denatonium Benzoate) Bitterant/ odorant added to all acetone for safety as it is mostly odorless and tasteless. No other chemicals. Who's teaching who here?

On 5/24/2024 at 12:28 PM, ldhair said:

Why does nail polish remover have such a nice smell?

Now I understand your answers and thought processes. Its not healthy to huff fumes ld. ;)

On 5/24/2024 at 2:09 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

It will be impaired after as it was prior. Just look better and easier to distinguish strike character sure we all know that

No. You don't use acetone on impaired proofs as a normal. There is nothing to gain. Again, this is something you learn.

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 12:45 PM, ldhair said:

No. You don't use acetone on impaired proofs as a normal. There is nothing to gain. Again, this is something you learn

How would you know if it was impaired or not before you gave it a bath?  Anything would be just a guess until it was conserved. Just because you bathe it doesn't fix anything either it just exposes the true surface that usually if in that kind of shape it is going to have impairments...maybe not but proofs like that usually will reveal problems after soaking.. Anything else?

On 5/24/2024 at 2:39 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

Now I understand your answers and thought processes. Its not healthy to huff fumes ld. ;)

Stop with the insults. It's not helpful.

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 1:05 PM, ldhair said:

Stop with the insults. It's not helpful.

I didn't realize you needed help. I thought you were helping me. I'll try to be more helpful. But I can't guarantee it since I won't teach people like you that have little understanding of the topic. Oh was that an insult? Sorry  ...Seems I heard that phrase before here....hmmm

On 5/24/2024 at 2:50 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

How would you know if it was impaired before you gave it a bath?

I'll say it again. You learn to know if a coin can be helped before you ever touch it. If a person does not have that skill, they should not try to conserve coins or try to teach the topic.