• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1 1

13 posts in this topic

What would make a 1972 penny or any cent coin valuable to a collector?

What can you tell me about a 1972 no mint mark penny?

IMG_20240522_130731.jpg

IMG_20240522_130704.jpg

Not much to tell, there were nearly 3 BILLION minted in Philadelphia alone so they are not rare.   
It is made of a copper alloy and weighs 3.11g with a tolerance of +- .12g. Diameter of 19 mm.
Unless it is the major DDO, it would have to be a high grade ( MS 67+) to have much value.  

Seriously, there is no there there. 

On 5/22/2024 at 12:10 PM, Jesse01 said:

Condition, rarity, demand

On 5/22/2024 at 10:06 PM, Just Bob said:

Condition, rarity, demand

And this one has none of the three.

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2024 at 2:10 PM, Jesse01 said:

If it were the strongest 1972 doubled die variety, or had a highly visible striking error such as a large clip.

Certainly not the cloying background. Please crop your future photos to just the coin. :)

Edited by RWB

Hello and welcome Jesse!

As it seems you are new at this, great to have another new person coming into the hobby! (thumbsu

Before digging into "what its worth", I would like to say you will find the answer to that and many other questions through proper research and education. I suggest to you to get the current copy of the Red Book of United States Coins. The 78th Edition for 2025 is already available and can be found easily through an internet search, on eBay, or at Wizard Coin Supply. I would shop around a little bit as there are some considerable price differences among different sellers. It is not a super expensive book but the information in it is worth more than the cost of the book.

Good education is invaluable!

It looks like a lightly tarnished mint set coin whose appearance would be improved with a soak in acetone.

As such it is only slightly better than average in most regards.  If it cleans up OK there are still several hundred thousand better looking 1972 cents.  

On 5/23/2024 at 1:25 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

@Jesse01 Welcome. Based on your responses, it is clear that you are new this (and there is nothing wrong with being new).  My suggestion is to forget about what your coins are worth.  If you want to collect from change, have fun with it and expect nothing in return but fun and education.  As you deepen your education, you will be able to ask more technical questions for more specific answers.  Learn the series you collect, learn to grade and spot a quality coin, and learn the market... some posts about supposed offers you are getting are laughable to those of us that know the three things I just mentioned.  

I know your urge will be to argue with me will be strong, as this seems to be your MO.  However, as you grow in this hobby, you will learn I am telling you the truth.  I would ask you to take a breath, and read to understand what I am saying and hopefully you can resist the urge to fight... and cultivate the skill to understand.

I wish you luck.

Neo is now the forum therapist. Please refer any and all manic or delusional OPs to his office. Hours are M-F 10am -3pm. Most insurance accepted.