• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2010 QUARTER YELLOW STONE MISSING LO
1 1

9 posts in this topic

With no question asked, I will guess and say that you want to know if that is a DDO.   
If so, then the answer is no, that is common Machine Doubling. You also have some.  
letters that are grease filled.

The missing LO may be caused by a damaged die or an over polished die.

Posted (edited)

The missing letters are most likely from a grease filled die as greenstang wrote, technically an error but it happens so often that it is very minor and adds nothing to the value of the coin.   The doubling of the cloud is just worthless strike doubling.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 5/21/2024 at 7:57 AM, ldhair said:

The missing LO may be caused by a damaged die or an over polished die.

Localized missing letters on modern coins is nearly always debris filled characters. Dies are never polished that deeply in a specific area; further polishing off a letter on a die would produce a raised area on the coin.

To be clear, it would be a proposed DDR, not a DDO, and the ghost like doubling you see on the cloud on the reverse is what is stated by others as mechanical/strike doubling. I also see this effect slightly in the lettering of YELLOWSTONE. This effect was produced by a loose die in the press and is seen as a quality control issue. As the Mint had adopted the single squeeze hubbing process at the point this coin was made, there are very few cases of true doubling which produces a secondary image at the same height as the initial image and notches at the serifs.

As for the missing lettering, it is what is known as a struck through and is actually quite common across the entire series of these state park quarters. Strike throughs have happened on basically every series of coin in existence but I noticed for some reason that this particular series seems to have a higher amount than other coin series. I have a couple of them graded myself. Being there are so many of these strike throughs in the marketplace, they really do not command any premium unless there is a high percentage of the details of the coin obliterated. Many things can cause a strike through error from wire to cloth to a staple or even press hardware, but typically the most common and is the case on your coin, is caused from grease in the die when the die was taken out of the press for maintenance and then put back into service. The grease fills in the details in the die and does not allow the image to fully strike up like it did on the rest of your coin.

While your coin may not command any premium, it is an error and is worth keeping in a 2x2 cardboard flip. (thumbsu

I was thinking the word YELLOWSTONE is recessed on the coin. I didn't know a filled die would have this look. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 3:15 PM, ldhair said:

I was thinking the word YELLOWSTONE is recessed on the coin. I didn't know a filled die would have this look. 

I agree it is incuse so part of the coin must have been removed for the letters to not show. It does look like it was dished out in that spot. I am not saying it is an error, more like damage or a heavy glob of grease.

Edited by J P M

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 11:59 AM, RWB said:

Localized missing letters on modern coins is nearly always debris filled characters. Dies are never polished that deeply in a specific area; further polishing off a letter on a die would produce a raised area on the coin.

The missing letters are INCUSE, not raised, so the debris fill idea goes away. On the die, those letters have been ABRADED OFF, not FILLED. 

Edited by VKurtB