• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Minnesota Collection Certified Mint Sealed
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Anybody know about these? I bought a 1955 and 1956 proof flat pack sets. They were $100 and $50. So the price were fine and all. I busted the 1956 one out. The coins were nice. Nothing mind blowing or anything. The 1955 flat pack sells for alot on eBay. I went out of town and got them at a Coin shop I usually don't go to. Picked up a 1955 Proof nickel with full steps for .25. 

Is there a story behind the  Minnesota collection certified mint sealed items? 

20210711_minnesota-hoard-ccfopt.jpg

Posted (edited)

Welcome again ...I have never seen anything like that, but I see something new every day. LoL.. It looks like an aftermarket thing to me. Was the envelope inside the plastic open or sealed.

Edited by J P M

I have never seen anything like it either and could not find anything like it on the internet.   
Looks like some sort of aftermarket set. Could you show a picture of the coins enclosed.

Posted (edited)

Inside plastic then inside hard plastic which was hard to open. Been trying to get the 1955 flat pack to go with my 1955 box proofs. I think they have been going for around $150. So he didn't charge me no premium for it. A older guy runs the store and his daughter runs it as well. The more you go to a coin store the more you learn what to do. This is my second time I went. First time I went the older guy wasn't there and I asked about proof sets and they showed me some nothing early, though I bought a '68 proof set. I bought a 1930 to 1958 littleton penny book. It was missing 31s but lots of the penny's were upgrades for my dansco book. It was $30. (Cent not penny)

Looking forward to going back to this store the next time I go out there. I would really like to complete my cent and mercury dime books. 

For the newer collectors: Coin shops always have lots more stuff not shown. Always have cash and always spend some cash. 

DSC02652b.png

DSC02654b.png

DSC02657b.png

Edited by Halbrook Family

According to the internet, the "Minnesota Collection" was established by a swarm of Minnesota mosquitos (extra large) who learned to attack people during very late ice fishing season. They not only sucked their victims dry but stole everything the people had with them. These were later put into various plastic containers labeled "The Minnesota Collection," and sold to fund the Lake District "Young Larvae Home." The organization went out of business after the last hard freeze.

;)

There is no such thing as a 1956 Mint sealed proof set. They were shipped open, but with a gummed flap.