• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help on this 1965 Dime
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hello all!  I have a question i was hoping you could help me with as I cannot find any answers.  I have a 1965 dime that has some stamping errors. The back of the dime has no stamping and on the front there are letters missing from what looks like a stamp error and also on the neck of Roosevelt. I know it need to be cleaned up a bit but please see attached pictures. I have not seen any other coin like this and am unsure if it's worth anything or if it's worth something or just something odd to hang to. Can you please assist me on this? I appreciate your help! Thank you!

2024-5-14 18-44-44.jpg

2024-5-14 18-44-25.jpg

2024-5-14 18-43-33.jpg

2024-5-14 18-43-11.jpg

Welcome to the NGC chat board. 

In the future, please crop your photos to eliminate the surrounding surface. Note also that coins are said to be struck, not "stamped".

There is a type of mint error known as a "full uniface strike" or "full indent" that results from an extra planchet (blank) lying between the dies, preventing one side from being struck. See https://www.error-ref.com/?s=uniface+strike.  However, the fully formed rim and "scooped out' appearance of the otherwise blank reverse of your 1965 Roosevelt dime, combined with the depressions on the obverse, look quite suspicious and lead me to conclude that the coin was likely altered after it left the mint.  Let's see what some other forum members think.

It could have been a reverse caped die there are some cupped out parts on the obverse also being a partly caped obverse. Better pictures would help. Do you have the weight of the coin 

Posted (edited)

It appears  as a uniface strike. It is common for the rims to be fully intact as the planchet that landed on it was centered. You can see the deformation or flattened rims where the blank pushed down on the other coin.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Posted (edited)

In addition to awaiting any additional responses on this forum, you might want to post this coin on the CONECA forum at https://board.conecaonline.org/forum. You can also request an opinion from Jon Sullivan, a respected errors dealer, at https://sullivannumismatics.com/contact-us/.  If this coin were authenticated as a genuine indent strike or other significant mint error, it would have some value, although, as each error coin is unique, how much is difficult to say. I continue to have my own misgivings as to its authenticity.

Edited by Sandon

Here is some better pictures if this help. I appreciate all the assistance from everyone.

The last photo you can see some lettering from the strike. I circled in red 

20240518_190905.jpg

20240518_190908.jpg

20240518_190919.jpg

20240518_190927.jpg

20240518_190910.jpg

On 5/18/2024 at 5:46 PM, Sandon said:

In addition to awaiting any additional responses on this forum, you might want to post this coin on the CONECA forum at https://board.conecaonline.org/forum. You can also request an opinion from Jon Sullivan, a respected errors dealer, at https://sullivannumismatics.com/contact-us/.  If this coin were authenticated as a genuine indent strike or other significant mint error, it would have some value, although, as each error coin is unique, how much is difficult to say. I continue to have my own misgivings as to its authenticity.

Thanks Sandon. I submitted a request to Jon Sullivan and sent pictures to get his take on the dime as well. I appreciate the help and assistance! 

On 5/18/2024 at 8:09 AM, J P M said:

It could have been a reverse caped die there are some cupped out parts on the obverse also being a partly caped obverse. Better pictures would help. Do you have the weight of the coin 

I have submitted extra clarity pics. Hope that helps. Thank you 

On 5/18/2024 at 8:34 PM, JD797 said:

I have submitted extra clarity pics. Hope that helps. Thank you 

Yes these are much nicer, thanks 

The new photos show details that weren't visible before.  I see a trace of the reverse design (oak leaves) as well as the obverse on the side that previously appeared to be blank. This could be some kind of "brockage", where a previously struck coin was stuck on the reverse die when this coin was struck, although that doesn't account for the trace of the reverse design as well.  Let's see what Mr. Sullivan's opinion will be.

On 5/19/2024 at 10:13 AM, Sandon said:

The new photos show details that weren't visible before.  I see a trace of the reverse design (oak leaves) as well as the obverse on the side that previously appeared to be blank. This could be some kind of "brockage", where a previously struck coin was stuck on the reverse die when this coin was struck, although that doesn't account for the trace of the reverse design as well.  Let's see what Mr. Sullivan's opinion will be.

I will keep you posted as to what he says. Thank you

Your second set of photos are much more helpful. On first look, I thought capped reverse die and on the second set of photos I am thinking more towards that. Does the rim appear "thicker" than a normal dime? Could you provide a side by side photo of this dime with another dime next to it so we can see if the rim appears to be thicker on this one?

Capped dies can cause all kinds of different deformities across both sides of the coin as the striking is not normal at the time the die cap is present. There are some examples in this link. https://www.error-ref.com/?s=capped+die

My vote is for a capped reverse die as having a cap on the reverse die (anvil), would cause deformities across the obverse die (hammer) at each strike as the hammer die is pushing down on a progressively deformed die cap underneath causing uneven metal flow on the obverse strikes.