• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Assign your best photo grade for this coin. Look carefully.
1 1

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Now that I see these pics on here, I agree they suck. @RWB @VKurtB @Sandon I just bought this thing for $10.00 w/tax I will post better pics when I get it in hand. I was able to blow these pics up large size. I guess the forum wont take it that big...lol Ill fix it.... see below repaired and now replaced original post pics with new better uncompressed ones.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

Posted (edited)

Still fuzzy. Even with enhancement it's not sharp enough or lit well enough for grading. The green corrosion, however, becomes noticeable. Sorry.

Image1.thumb.jpg.317a4850b8f970c604e7771fbfe6ab2f.jpg

Edited by RWB

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 8:02 AM, RWB said:

Still fuzzy. Even with enhancement it's not sharp enough or lit well enough for grading. The green corrosion, however, becomes noticeable. Sorry.

Image1.thumb.jpg.317a4850b8f970c604e7771fbfe6ab2f.jpg

I can get that verdi off pretty easy or I could just have NCS do it. I just grabbed it for the year and I will be surprised if it's a coin worth grading when I get it but it's definitely uncirculated.

On 5/14/2024 at 1:03 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

I can get that verdi off pretty easy or I could just have NCS do it.

Let us know how that works out for you. I am dubious. 

I am wary on the coin as well.  It definitely looks cleaned and it has pretty obvious rim damage.  Are you going to try and have it graded?  Can we make side bets amongst us if you do?  J/K.  :-)

Those filters will get you into trouble.  Like makeup on a woman, things are not always as they appear to be when filters in photography are involved.  A sexist might say....

I have always maintained the only acceptable comparison made would be to post this photo alongside a well-struck UNC which gives the average viewer exactly what one should look like as compared with what one actually sees. One needs a point of reference and baseline knowledge of this series' hight points. There are three things I find puzzling: the area about the cheekbone, the weak lettering in LIBERTY and the headdress feathers which lack definition. Forget the verdigris, is there even a hint of original mint luster to be found in any area of the coin?  I may be a certified rank amateur, but to me an uncirculated coin means just that.  I hesitate to see what the reverse looks like. Unable to Like in good conscience, no need to BUMP. I'll take a hike.

On 5/14/2024 at 5:02 PM, RWB said:

Here you go.... Someone paid almost $98,000 for this 1899 cent with average detail. ( 2009 April-May Cincinnati, OH (CSNS) US Coin Auction #1124 / Lot #2091)

Image1.thumb.jpg.c93bca155812b10a94f188a22d594a84.jpg

Thanks for the mugshot!  That's the guy that exhibits best the features we were looking for.  Can't assign a grade without a face we can compare it with.  🤣

Posted (edited)

I now have this coin in hand and its better than expected. The verdigris is very light dust and will come right off with a soak in Sodium Sesquicarbonate (Baking Soda and Soda Ash 2.5% molar solution) for about 1 week. The details are Uncirculated and IMO the coin will straight grade MS 64 BN. The field surfaces are smooth and not damaged. I'm going to conserve it then submit this coin and do a follow thread about it. Cheers! @J P M @RWB @Henri Charriere @VKurtB @ldhair @CIII Remember I paid $10 for this coin and it will only cost me about $23 to get this graded with my next set of serious submissions. This would be for the forum. Just for fun. $33 bucks Here we go...

ADD

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 11:51 AM, CIII said:

It definitely looks cleaned and it has pretty obvious rim damage

I think the rim nick will slide as a coin contact mark. Maybe not. The coin in hand is OG and not cleaned. I'm going to conserve it. Then have it graded for the forum. It has UNC details ...we will see...! Cheers!

On 5/17/2024 at 4:01 AM, J P M said:

Well, if RWB's enhancement is close to what it looks like

It looks nothing like his monster portrait of my coin.

Posted (edited)

Stage 1 Conservation completed: Acetone Q tip cleaning obv / rev... Distilled water rinse. Pat dry. Results are evident. Top is before bottom is after. Now for the Sodium Sesquicarbonate soak. Then a rinse in 7 days with distilled water. Then decide next move -maybe more soak in a fresh solution. Cheers!

20240523_195902.jpg

20240523_200047.jpg

Exposure appears to differ between the original pair and the post-treatment pair. Look carefully at the white tops of the fabric at upper left. To do this accurately, you must use a neutral 18% gray background; same uniform lighting, etc.  That will allow reliable color and density matching.

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 11:29 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

Stage 1 Conservation completed: Acetone Q tip cleaning obv / rev... Distilled water rinse. Pat dry. Results are evident. Top is before bottom is after. Now for the Sodium Sesquicarbonate soak. Then a rinse in 7 days with distilled water. Then decide next move -maybe more soak in a fresh solution. Cheers!

20240523_195902.jpg

20240523_200047.jpg

Well it looks better, have you ever used olive oil ? I also think if you can get past the details grade it may get a low MS

Edited by J P M

Posted (edited)

Here is my vote :

Unc details

Spot removed

I think you will have lost money in this whole process especially when it comes time to sell.

Edited by powermad5000