• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1878 Philadelphia morgan dollar
1 1

7 posts in this topic

It's a valid question. The coin looks odd; color weird, stars muddy, level of detail on devices is not that consistent with the circulated look of the fields. I suppose the pro-authenticity stance would see the deformed UNUM as a PMD impact wound. However, what is on the back of UNUM is where the AR of 'dollar' is, if I'm mentally flipping the coin over properly. Normally it's pretty hard to hit a coin hard enough to mess it up without doing something to the reverse, kind of the way big meteor strikes on small planetoids can send an impact wave clear through them (Mercury has a huge one of these). So I'm really not sure which way to lean.

Posted (edited)

It is a counterfeit. It is showing a 1879 reverse.  Where did you get it ?
Also do NOT hold coins in your hand like that. If it was genuine you could get oil
from your skin on it which could cause marks.

Edited by Greenstang

I don't need to look at the reverse really in this case. The obverse speaks for the rest of the coin. It is a counterfeit and not a good one. Without typing out the full laundry list just on the obverse, the date numerals are not correct, the motto lettering is uneven, and the denticles are not fully formed. The overall detail is severely lacking the fine details that should be present on these being the first year of the series.

Even though the others have already stated, never lay a coin on your bare hand. Always handle coins by their edges.