• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need help with this coin please
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

It’s a Canadian coin. My grandma passed away and left me lots of bison and other coins. What would it be worth ? Is anyone interested in buying?

I am new to the coin collection 

IMG_0692.jpeg

IMG_0693.jpeg

Edited by Anthony223

Posted (edited)

What you have is a gold Maple Leaf, often just referred to as a Maple Leaf.   It is a solid ounce of gold produced by the Canadian mint and considered bullion coins just like the US mint $50 Bison coin you previously posted about and have put up for sale in the coin marketplace.   As a general rule these trade/sell very close to gold spot and as I type this gold is at $2,310 an ounce so you should expect to be able to sell it for $2,250 or perhaps a bit more.   The price changes practically every second so it could vary some depending on when and to whom you sell.

You can try and sell it here by posting this in the coin marketplace section of the forum as you have done with your $50 Bison coin, however, you are new and unless you can provide some references to prove that you are legit you might have a tough time selling.   Plus then you have to ship and insure the coin so that it arrives to the buyer safely and that both you and the buyer are protected if any shipping snaffu were to occur, all that can be a hassle for some people.  You can also take it to a coin shop in your area and sell it to them in person, you will likely be offered slightly less than the number I quoted above as the dealer needs to have some room to mark the coin up from his buy price.  The upside is you will avoid all the hassles of selling/shipping on the internet. 

Edited by Coinbuf

Thank you so much for the info well I have 3 bison coins and that one and I know 100% they are real what would be the best way to go about selling them. I really don’t trust the local pawn shop and would rather have someone that enjoys collecting coins to have them 

Well as you have done you can post them for sale here.   But as you probably know by now this is a very small forum so it can be difficult to find a buyer.   You can sell on Ebay, and there are also facebook coin groups where you can sell coins to other collectors.   But without a doubt the fastest and easiest way to sell is to sell to a coin dealer in person either at a coin show or that the dealers shop.

NGC has a list of NGC authorized dealers on the main NGC site, but if there is nobody close to you except for the pawn shop you mentioned then your choices are somewhat limited.

It is important to note that it is not just US coins that are counterfeited typically by the Chinese. These would also fall into that category as well. I would say before you attempt to sell this or the Bison you have that you take them to an expert who can properly provide some kind of evidence that what you have are legitimate specimens.

Posted (edited)

The Canadian $50.00 gold maple leaf is genuine. There are non of the counterfeit markers on it.  
If you have a bullion dealer in your area and want a quick sale, they usually offer 10% under spot
That is more than a coin dealer would.

Edited by Greenstang