• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd nickel 1900 with large 0 in the date?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I am interested in knowing what is going on with this nickel.  The date I can see, seems to be 1900 with the last 0 in the 1900 larger.  Is this normal or is this anything special.  This was in a bag full of pennies from my Grandfather.  Interested to know more if anyone has information.  Thanks in advance.

IMG_6053.jpg

IMG_6052.jpg

On 5/3/2024 at 4:12 PM, AaronEvans said:

I am interested in knowing what is going on with this nickel.  The date I can see, seems to be 1900 with the last 0 in the 1900 larger.  Is this normal or is this anything special.  This was in a bag full of pennies from my Grandfather.  Interested to know more if anyone has information.  Thanks in advance.

IMG_6053.jpg

IMG_6052.jpg

“Great googly moogly.”

Agree that your coin is dated 1990, the lower leg of the second nine has been obliviated from some type of damage.   Your grandfather may have found it interesting and that is why he kept it, but it has no numismatic value beyond the face value of 5 cents.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The Jefferson nickel was first struck as a series in 1938. I agree with the others that you have a 1990 P Jefferson that has some obverse damage to both nines, and looking at the numerals, I can only think the large zero was created by both a hit that affected the last nine and a die chip that just happened to be in that spot as well. Die chips add no premium to the value.

I would not spend this coin, however. It is different to me so I would put it in a 2x2 cardboard flip and keep it as a curiosity piece.