• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1999 D Georgia State quarter, planchet error.
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Been collecting coins for a long time, I’m going through my collection, noticed an interesting abnormality with my Georgia state quarter.  Looking online, is this thing really worth 10k?

IMG_3947.jpeg

No.

Welcome to the Chat Board

What anomoly are you seeing, can’t really see a planchet error.
If you are talking about the colour, then it is probably gold plated.   
Where online do you see one going for $10,000. Please supply a link so we can form an opinion.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Many ordinary State quarters were plated or coated with a gold-colored substance by private companies outside the mint for sale as novelties. This appears to be one of them. Is there anything printed on the holder in which the seller appears to have placed the coin?

To me, the entire "Georgia quarter" is an error.... Who want's a plumber's crack with a state flag sticking out of it on a coin ?

Posted (edited)

There allegedly are some Georgia quarters struck on what would become Sacagawea dollar metal planchets. How they managed that little time travel trick is the $64,000 (or $10,000) question.

Edited by VKurtB

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Being you looked online, could you tell us where you saw one for $10K asking price? Was it a legitimate large auction house such as Heritage, Stacks and Bowers, or Great Collections? Or was it eBay? Be advised, there are some real scumbag sellers on eBay looking to push off non legitimate errors (plated, damaged, altered) for such prices. Not all sellers on eBay are crooked in this fashion, but be aware there are dozens that are.

Well, that was interesting, have you weighed your coin yet to see if it is heavy? 

The coins referred to in the link you provided were not intentionally sold or issued by the U.S. Mint, nor would they have come in packages like yours. You would not have been able to buy them like this. They were either errors struck on wrong planchets or were experimental strikes.  They were either accidentally mixed with coins issued in bulk bags for circulation or, more likely, smuggled out of the Mint by unscrupulous employees for sale to coin dealers. Two mint employees went to prison for similar activities related to the State quarter obverse/Sacagawea dollar reverse "mules" that appeared at about the same time.

What you bought as a child were undoubtedly normal State quarters that were "gold" plated by private parties after they left the mint. They were widely advertised to the public in mass circulation magazines such as TV Guide. I have seen many such offers. Undoubtedly, many thousands were sold. They have no value to serious coin collectors and have nominal value as novelties.

I haven’t, was hesitant to take it out of the packaging.  I’ll update the thread once I’m able to weigh and I have a proper case to transfer it to. 

On 5/8/2024 at 7:06 PM, Mattacus said:

This is the article I’m going off of

Notice the strike on the experimental planchet looks nothing like the quarter you have in your possession. I note on the error piece there is a total lack of rim on the obverse and what I will call a messed up rim on the reverse. Also notice the flow lines toward the rim and the effect of the flow of the lettering out towards the rim. Much of this is probably attributed to there being incorrect pressure on that strike and probably too high for the metal to handle. I am also not sure if it broke or trashed the collar during that strike as I can't see the edge of the error or know if the size is slightly larger than an average quarter.

On 5/8/2024 at 9:50 PM, Mattacus said:

I have all state quarters from the same original seller, interesting this is the only one with the gold plating.IMG_3943.thumb.jpeg.e20d29353cc0ddaf535ff1c0769f0ffc.jpegIMG_3946.thumb.jpeg.9c1741dbf65877f2b674409e81b93e38.jpeg

This coin is from a third-party dealer, I would not remove it from the holder it is not the coin you are looking for. It has just changed color due to its past handling and storage.