• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have this bison $50 gold coin
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

If it is real it's worth $2,336.30 (5/1/2024) spot gold price in pure gold value. Possibly slightly more if in excellent condition and graded and encapsulated with a higher-than-average grade. Thanks Grandma!

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 5/1/2024 at 9:14 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

If it is real it's worth $2,336.30 (5/1/2024) spot gold price in pure gold value. Possibly slightly more if in excellent condition and graded and encapsulated with a higher-than-average grade. Thanks Grandma!

Thank you I’ve seen one on eBay just sell for $2,700 what makes it different ? 

On 5/1/2024 at 6:25 PM, Anthony223 said:

Thank you I’ve seen one on eBay just sell for $2,700 what makes it different ? 

A graded and certified coin will usually bring a premium over gold spot price. The fact that it is certified, graded (usually PF69-PF70) and protected in a holder lends to a higher sale price. If the coin was not graded, then it just for no reason other than market demand sold for a premium over spot. I would have it authenticated at a jewelry shop or local coin shop before you count your chickens. Original packaging or not it could easily still be a complete fake. Gold plated copies of this coin are everywhere. They originate in China and have been made there for many, many years. Even current modern silver and gold coins are counterfeited by the thousands daily in China and sold off to unscrupulous coin sellers. Be aware. Be sure and have it weighed, XRF tested and examined by a knowledgeable person. The coin if real is valuable but...that's why they are often faked....Good luck...let us know what happens on this thread in the future if you find out anything. Cheers

Many unknowledgeable people overpay for coins. The NGC Price Guide does currently list a 2016 1-ounce American Gold Buffalo does currently list $2,750 in MS 70, so it is possible that the coin you saw had been given that maximum grade by a reputable third-party grading service such as NGC or PCGS. They list around bullion value in all other grades. Gold Buffaloes - $50 (2006-Date) | Price Guide & Values | NGC (ngccoin.com).

On 5/1/2024 at 9:14 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

If it is real it's worth $2,336.30 (5/1/2024) spot gold price in pure gold value. Possibly slightly more if in excellent condition and graded and encapsulated with a higher-than-average grade. Thanks 

Thank you so much I appreciate the explanation in detail makes a lot more sense now. I have a couple of them and probably will get them graded 

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 9:55 PM, Anthony223 said:

I have a couple of them and probably will get them graded 

Keep in mind that (financially) this can do you as much harm as good.  Let's say grading and shipping/insurance costs you ~$100 per coin. You have upside if they grade MS70, but if they grade MS66 you will be underwater, and the bullion will be hard to sell in a holder in that grade.  If what I am saying sounds like a foreign language, it's better to hold off and learn a little before you spend the money on grading.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

On 5/2/2024 at 10:11 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Keep in mind that (financially) this can do you as much harm as good.  Let's say grading and shipping/insurance costs you ~$100 per coin. You have upside if they grade MS70, but if they grade MS66 you will be underwater, and the bullion will be hard to sell in a holder in that grade.  If what I am saying sounds like a foreign language, it's better to hold off and learn a little before you spend the money on grading.

If the coin has been "sliding around" plastic, it may have abrasions which might top out at the low MS-60's or even an AU grade.

The price floor is the spot bullion price but you won't have any upside.