• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My wheat cent collection
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Just wanted to show off three years of collecting. I've found a lot of wheaties through the years. Some of them showed up in strange ways...

wheatiepage.thumb.jpg.9991293e2c5cd6941d9e9f23b88a3e61.jpg

My page of wheaties in my book.

37wheatie.thumb.jpg.69b6bde0002d29016ee6467abb69019b.jpg

A 1937 I found recently. Found in a big pile of change I was given. Found some others too!

Wheatie58.thumb.jpg.adc6843c340555ebdb3bd355a4ca6e47.jpg

Found this one in my return vent! :whee:

Wheatie19.thumb.jpg.247e7dbf666e95d2d6bc9d19b220e9ec.jpg

A pretty rough 1919 from Philadelphia. Low grade, still fun to find!

And that's some highlights of my collection. I have a vial of other ones too. Some S's in there. Good day. =)

After 40+ years and pulling all wheats from change, I had to buy enough tubes to cover the entire range of dates from 09 to 58. There are mixed mintmarks in the tubes but at least all the dates are separated. Many of the tubes in the teens are mostly empty and by the time you get to the mid 50's ones, some of them have have multiple full tubes. Some are in good shape, some not. I only submitted two. A 1910 (P) and a 1914 S. Neither were worth big money but plenty more than the $0.01 I obtained them for from change.

I still get around half a dozen or so per year and just keep adding to the tubes.

Posted (edited)

Very nice.  If you wouldn't mind a little advice though, I would find a different way to store them.  Those soft vinyl pages very often, maybe always contain pvc.  It is very damaging to coins.  I would suggest something like this.  Amazon.com : Boen Coin Flips 10 Assorted Sizes 1000Pcs Coin Holders for Colletors The Coin Collection Supplies Include A Mini Stapler The Coin Cardboard Coin Flips for Coin Collection. : Office Products

Edited by l.cutler

That's a nice start.  I agree with @l.cutler that the pages look very much like PVC, and PVC destroys coins on direct contact.  Cardboard 2x2s, mylar flips, or tubes might be a better solution for long term storage.  

Personally, I like the cardboard 2x2 for this type of stuff.  Its relatively cheap, it holds the coin secure, and you can write on it.  If you get up into higher numbers (think 1000+ circulated wheat cents), you may want to rethink your strategy with the 2x2s and move to tubes (I have a decorative jar for my late dates - cringeworthy storage :eek:, but looks cool on my desk ) 

On 5/2/2024 at 5:45 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

That's a nice start.  I agree with @l.cutler that the pages look very much like PVC, and PVC destroys coins on direct contact.  Cardboard 2x2s, mylar flips, or tubes might be a better solution for long term storage.  

Personally, I like the cardboard 2x2 for this type of stuff.  Its relatively cheap, it holds the coin secure, and you can write on it.  If you get up into higher numbers (think 1000+ circulated wheat cents), you may want to rethink your strategy with the 2x2s and move to tubes (I have a decorative jar for my late dates - cringeworthy storage :eek:, but looks cool on my desk ) 

On 5/2/2024 at 4:17 AM, l.cutler said:

Very nice.  If you wouldn't mind a little advice though, I would find a different way to store them.  Those soft vinyl pages very often, maybe always contain pvc.  It is very damaging to coins.  I would suggest something like this.  Amazon.com : Boen Coin Flips 10 Assorted Sizes 1000Pcs Coin Holders for Colletors The Coin Collection Supplies Include A Mini Stapler The Coin Cardboard Coin Flips for Coin Collection. : Office Products

Agreed, both of you. In fact I was worried about PVC when I bought the book, but I thought if I kept a close eye on them I could get them out if something fishy started. My main issue with flips is that  want to present my coins in an album. Still trying to find the best solution. Thanks for your input! 

On 5/3/2024 at 1:44 PM, ThePhiladelphiaPenny said:

Agreed, both of you. In fact I was worried about PVC when I bought the book, but I thought if I kept a close eye on them I could get them out if something fishy started. My main issue with flips is that  want to present my coins in an album. Still trying to find the best solution. Thanks for your input! 

Be EXTREMELY watchful of that vinyl page stuff. I once bought a bulk lot at auction with about 20 or so similar pages filled with foreign coins of many different metals. Suffice it to say that I spent several weeks with “acetone remediation”. Most were salvaged well, but a few were goners. 

On 5/3/2024 at 4:08 PM, VKurtB said:

Be EXTREMELY watchful of that vinyl page stuff. I once bought a bulk lot at auction with about 20 or so similar pages filled with foreign coins of many different metals. Suffice it to say that I spent several weeks with “acetone remediation”. Most were salvaged well, but a few were goners. 

Thanks for the warning @VKurtB¬¬

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 2:44 PM, ThePhiladelphiaPenny said:

The problem is, once you spot the issue it's already too late to just take them out.  You will then have to clean them all with acetone to get the chemicals off and hope there isn't already damage.  You can get the pages that hold the 2x2's, that way the pages aren't in direct contact with the coins.

Edited by l.cutler

On 5/3/2024 at 1:44 PM, ThePhiladelphiaPenny said:

but I thought if I kept a close eye on them I could get them out if something fishy started.

Once you see something, the damage is already done. It is literally done when you put the coin in a PVC type storage method.

The PVC leaches into the coin below the surface, so by the time you see damage or an "oily wet" surface, it has damaged the coin.

On 5/3/2024 at 6:19 PM, powermad5000 said:

Once you see something, the damage is already done. It is literally done when you put the coin in a PVC type storage method.

The PVC leaches into the coin below the surface, so by the time you see damage or an "oily wet" surface, it has damaged the coin.

Oh. :whatthe::ohnoez:I am going to get on that right away!

On 5/3/2024 at 6:19 PM, powermad5000 said:

So, do you guys have any suggestions for good storage methods? I checked Whitman publishing but they don't have what I need. I need something that either has the ability to reload pages, or one that has 150 slots in it. I know I need mylar flips, those I can get at my local Barnes and Noble, but I need a big album. Thanks! =)

On 5/10/2024 at 3:50 PM, ThePhiladelphiaPenny said:

So, do you guys have any suggestions for good storage methods? I checked Whitman publishing but they don't have what I need. I need something that either has the ability to reload pages, or one that has 150 slots in it. I know I need mylar flips, those I can get at my local Barnes and Noble, but I need a big album. Thanks! =)

For any supplies, check Wizard Coin Supply online.