• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheat penny 1958
1 1

28 posts in this topic

Can the OP explain the "minting process" ?

Posted (edited)

Hmm. Which is more likely? Either it is post-mint damage (yes), or it is an “error” that has been flopping around in commerce unnoticed for 66 years waiting to be found by our OP (no). What is CLEARLY at work here, not JUST by this OP but by her entire generation, is to redefine words to make them mean what they would prefer them to mean. This generation’s proclivity in this arena is nearing a comedic state. 

Words mean things and in order for words to have value, their meanings should be mostly static, with very rare exceptions. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/1/2024 at 12:41 PM, VKurtB said:

Hmm. Which is more likely? Either it is post-mint damage (yes), or it is an “error” that has been flopping around in commerce unnoticed for 66 years waiting to be found by our OP (no). What is CLEARLY at work here, not JUST by this OP but by her entire generation, is to redefine words to make them mean what they would prefer them to mean. This generation’s proclivity in this arena is nearing a comedic state. 

Words mean things and in order for words to have value, their meanings should be mostly static, with very rare exceptions. 

You manage to turn an abraded 1958 wheatie into a reason to hurt someone who was doing you no harm. Wow. Coins, weaponized.

I think what you should do is indict not just her but her whole f-bombing generation (which you are not even f-bombing able to know because I'm not aware her birth certificate is available here), simply because something about the way she posed an innocent and minor question offended your sense of how words should be used. In other news, did you see anyone drop a gum wrapper today that you feel should be drawn and quartered for that? Good gods. That guy didn't stop for a stop sign; got your RPG-7 handy?

Hey, folks, someone seems to have accidentally used a word in a way Kurt doesn't like. Shall we go on an anti-generational rampage? (Which generation?) Where the hell is all our musketry for a firing squad? I thought sure we had gallows in the warehouse.

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 4:53 PM, JKK said:

You manage to turn an abraded 1958 wheatie into a reason to hurt someone who was doing you no harm. Wow. Coins, weaponized.

I think what you should do is indict not just her but her whole f-bombing generation (which you are not even f-bombing able to know because I'm not aware her birth certificate is available here), simply because something about the way she posed an innocent and minor question offended your sense of how words should be used. In other news, did you see anyone drop a gum wrapper today that you feel should be drawn and quartered for that? Good gods. That guy didn't stop for a stop sign; got your RPG-7 handy?

Hey, folks, someone seems to have accidentally used a word in a way Kurt doesn't like. Shall we go on an anti-generational rampage? (Which generation?) Where the hell is all our musketry for a firing squad? I thought sure we had gallows in the warehouse.

I admittedly have a nearly nonexistent appetite for ignorance. I also have a talent for recognizing patterns of attitude and behavior. Being a YouTube watcher is no excuse. Overdiagnosing nearly everything as a mint error is a scourge this generation must wear like a scarlet letter, even if they saw it online. Maybe ESPECIALLY so. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/1/2024 at 3:41 PM, VKurtB said:

I admittedly have a nearly nonexistent appetite for ignorance. 

That's always the favorite deflection, isn't it? This crusade? I do not buy it.

On 4/30/2024 at 8:15 PM, SuzieqCoined said:

It does not look like this was later.but during minting process.

What the heck? Why on earth would anyone ever type such a thing?

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 5:46 PM, JKK said:

That's always the favorite deflection, isn't it? This crusade? I do not buy it.

Yes, calling out ignorance is my crusade. Read. Study. Listen. THEN opine about what happened to a coin. What makes it far worse is that there seem to be tens of thousands of people like our OP out there. It takes a metaphorical “2x4 upside the head” to get their attention. “Nuclear weapon polemics” if you will. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/1/2024 at 3:48 PM, VKurtB said:

Yes, calling out ignorance is my crusade. Read. Study. Listen. THEN opine about what happened to a coin. What makes it far worse is that there seem to be tens of thousands of people like our OP out there. It takes a metaphorical “2x4 upside the head” to get their attention. “Nuclear weapon polemics” if you will. 

And it's obviously achieving your goal. Ignorance is decreasing everywhere around you, all thanks to your saintliness. I've seen a 16% drop this week alone!

At least stop deceiving yourself, and trying to deceive us, about your motives.

On 5/1/2024 at 6:48 PM, VKurtB said:

I do have to say, the "OP" (what does that stand for?) was asking an innocent question. Yes, there are a lot of folks asking about PMD's claiming to have found "rare errors", but : 

A: The OP didn't say this was an error. They found the coin interesting and were interested in any info. We know it's a PMD, but they might be new to the hobby.

B: Haven't we all gone through the "error hunting" stage? I started there, then I got my self straight, and started collecting real coins.

Just wanted to point that out.

On 5/1/2024 at 7:21 PM, ThePhiladelphiaPenny said:

"OP" (what does that stand for?)

It means "Original Poster", in other words, the topic author.  (I'm not sure what "lol" means myself.)

I understand @VKurtB's frustration, but how can we get new or prospective collectors to "Read. Study. Listen." if they don't know what to read or study or to whom to listen?  I have no compunction about telling those who post on these forums that they are wrong or have been misguided, but I try to explain why and direct them to appropriate resources.  

As for an explanation of the "minting process", the diagram on the following topic provides an elementary overview, and there are links to resources about this and other valuable subjects:

There are people simply asking questions; they don't know the terms or parameters, anything, but the questions are polite if misguided. We can educate them. Most of us were them once. No one needs to be a jerk to them.

There are people who ask questions, don't like the answers, then argue and become rude. On those, I seek no mercy. You don't like the answer, great, go find another answer, but that was ours.

The hypocrisy that I find most disgusting is to inflict the punishments deserved by the second group on the first one, and then to lie to oneself and others about one's motives. That's contemptible.

The OP is right. Anyone who doesn't want to answer basic newbie questions, it's okay if they don't come here and do so. Anyone who can't be polite until people are rude to us, fine, sod off, I'm okay with it.

I hope the OP has the ability to take some things with a tub-o-salt... because it sure can get salty up in here.

@SuzieqCoined the first reply from @JKK gives you everything you need on the coin.  The information from @Sandon on the minting process is also a very good study.  I was you only 4 years ago (literally April 2020 start).  I was just learning and really didn't know much at all.  I have learned a great deal, and you will too if you put in the work.  I would highly advise that you use all of the resources provided, and I would highly advise not collecting (or targeting) errors as a focus.  Starting your collecting journey with errors is a path of despair paved with parking lot damaged coins.  Instead, pick a series and learn about it - how to grade it, how it wears, which issues are tougher than others.  Your future self will thank you.

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 7:51 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I would highly advise not collecting (or targeting) errors as a focus.

Amen!!!!! Errors is an absolutely HORRIBLE way to get into this hobby. Yet they come by literally the hundreds that way. The incorrect guess of the OP reveals a complete misunderstanding of how a coin (outside of some older Asian issues) is made. Coins are struck with a die. The ONLY WAY a coin like this 1958 (if it is that) can get to look the way it does is from post mint damage. The only way anything can come from a mint that way would be if it were cast, and the mold was damaged, or the mold was incompletely filled. Coins, other than some old Asian coins, ARE NOT CAST!

Edited by VKurtB

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 6:21 PM, ThePhiladelphiaPenny said:

Haven't we all gone through the "error hunting" stage?

Absolutely not. Not for a single day in over 61 years. Why? You can’t complete a set, no matter how long you live or how rich you get. Error hunters are filling a non-existent need; all supply and no demand. 

Edited by VKurtB

If I may interject and digress, to the OP, as stated by yourself that you are new, I would definitely read and learn the minting process information presented by @Sandon. I would also get a copy of the current Red Book of United States Coins. If you are learning self grading as well, I would obtain a copy of a book titled ANA Grading Standards for United States Coins, 7th Edition.

Also, look at as many coins as you come across. When you see coins normally and in good condition, you will start to recognize ones that are cleaned or damaged as in the case of the one you posted here.

The original poster (OP) stated: "What is this, It does not look like this was later.but during minting process. Anyone?"

The OP's comment indicates they have some knowledge of the "minting process" and are thus qualified to make this basic determination. That would be very good; however, the photo of the subject coin and others show that the OP apparently does not know anything about the "minting process." Hence, the question was asked: "Can the OP explain the 'minting process' ?"

A simple "Yes" or "No" would aid members (and the OP) in explaining the coin's appearance, and helping the OP to understand and learn rather than making uninformed assumptions.

Instead, we have feathers flying around the chicken house with the OP claiming, "I am a little taken back by such vitriol over a question."

A suggestion to the OP: In future, when posting a coin on this or any other message board, just ask for an explanation such as "Why does this coin look unusual?" ---

On 5/1/2024 at 6:41 PM, Sandon said:

It means "Original Poster", in other words, the topic author.  (I'm not sure what "lol" means myself.)

I understand @VKurtB's frustration, but how can we get new or prospective collectors to "Read. Study. Listen." if they don't know what to read or study or to whom to listen?  I have no compunction about telling those who post on these forums that they are wrong or have been misguided, but I try to explain why and direct them to appropriate resources.  

As for an explanation of the "minting process", the diagram on the following topic provides an elementary overview, and there are links to resources about this and other valuable subjects:

Bravos to you, Sandon, but I’d bet very few new collectors ever look at that work flow diagram (it does reproduce kind of small). It is no accident that the FIRST COURSE in the ANA’s Numismatic Diploma program is NOT grading, and NOT errors and varieties, but IS Understanding the Minting Process. Why? Understanding that FIRST AND FOREMOST will relieve the student of repeating the grievous mistakes of hundreds of thousands that have come before him. The ANA is a benevolent source for education. I dare say it is the ONLY benevolent one any new collector might encounter. Everyone else is running a click bait scam or commercial venture benefiting themselves. 

On 5/2/2024 at 11:08 AM, RWB said:

The original poster (OP) stated: "What is this, It does not look like this was later.but during minting process. Anyone?"

The OP's comment indicates they have some knowledge of the "minting process" and are thus qualified to make this basic determination. That would be very good; however, the photo of the subject coin and others show that the OP apparently does not know anything about the "minting process." Hence, the question was asked: "Can the OP explain the 'minting process' ?"

A simple "Yes" or "No" would aid members (and the OP) in explaining the coin's appearance, and helping the OP to understand and learn rather than making uninformed assumptions.

Instead, we have feathers flying around the chicken house with the OP claiming, "I am a little taken back by such vitriol over a question."

A suggestion to the OP: In future, when posting a coin on this or any other message board, just ask for an explanation such as "Why does this coin look unusual?" ---

RWB and I disagree on quite a bit, but I’ve got to point out when he’s dead on correct. I’ve met RWB in person and we are age contemporaries. I have a very low opinion of the intellectual rigor of those generations which follow us. I express my disdain DIRECTLY and in people’s faces, while RWB uses far more biting sarcasm that I WISH I could come up with. Before my cerebral hemorrhage, I was quicker and wittier. Now I have to rely on being direct. I really DO NOT CARE if anyone is offended, truly I do not.  

On 5/2/2024 at 9:58 AM, VKurtB said:

I really DO NOT CARE if anyone is offended, truly I do not.  

It's sad when people reach the level of self-parody. It's like watching someone brag about kicking puppies and dumping used oil on the ground, and acting as if this is a thing to brag about. I'm not easily moved to pity for people whose whole basic MO is to take pride in cruelty, but I'm actually starting to feel sorry for you.

On 5/2/2024 at 1:12 PM, JKK said:

It's sad when people reach the level of self-parody. It's like watching someone brag about kicking puppies and dumping used oil on the ground, and acting as if this is a thing to brag about. I'm not easily moved to pity for people whose whole basic MO is to take pride in cruelty, but I'm actually starting to feel sorry for you.

I have NEVER allowed Kristi Noem to handle my puppies. 

This is not the first time there has been some sort of a level of "infighting" on these pages. It happens. The OP may possibly feel by posting this it "started it", but the reality is it is always there lying beneath the surface and actually has nothing to do with the OP. I have noticed over time some of these are long standing "disagreements" that come and go.

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 9:33 PM, powermad5000 said:

This is not the first time there has been some sort of a level of "infighting" on these pages. It happens. The OP may possibly feel by posting this it "started it", but the reality is it is always there lying beneath the surface and actually has nothing to do with the OP. I have noticed over time some of these are long standing "disagreements" that come and go.

They do indeed. I am aware of the apparent irony of “going off” on people using the Internet to become (mis)educated about coins on an Internet message board, but there you have it. There are really very very few sources that any beginner will encounter online that are worth a darn. This is one. The ANA site is even better, if somewhat messy to navigate. But, except for some very non-obvious sites, trying to learn about coins online is a baaaaad choice. Books, clubs, shows - all beat the Internet by a country mile. Heck, even Roger’s books. :devil: Of course, I kid. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/1/2024 at 9:05 PM, VKurtB said:

Absolutely not. Not for a single day in over 61 years. Why? You can’t complete a set, no matter how long you live or how rich you get. Error hunters are filling a non-existent need; all supply and no demand. 

Makes sense. =D