• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C. A. Hossley token with hole
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

The NGC Registry program is for topics related to the certified coin registry. A question like yours would best be posted on the "U.S., World, and Ancient Coins" forum for proper attention. (The Administrator will likely move it.)  Additionally, if possible, please post clear, cropped photos of both sides of your token, as there may have been a number of tokens produced for this company.  Unless the token was issued holed, a hole would be considered a severe impairment that would greatly reduce whatever value it could otherwise have.

Edited by Sandon

Clarence Hossley operated a billiard parlor inside the Carroll Hotel in Vicksburg, MS in the early 1900s. Two types of tokens were issued in 5 cent denominations. Both were round brass, 21 mm in diameter. One had a 2mm center hole, the other type did not. Both are listed in Chatham's Mississippi token book as R9 (2 -3 known to exist). Those numbers should be taken with a grain of salt, since the book was written in 1990. It is possible that more examples have been found since the book was written. Still, I have been collecting and following Mississippi tokens for over 40 years, and I can recall seeing only one other example of this piece in all those years. As far as value, that depends entirely on who wants it and how bad. It could sell for $25 or it could sell for several hundred. That may sound odd, but that is the token market. The venue, current market conditions, seller, demand, and condition of the piece all can play a part in the final price. I can tell you this: I bought my example off eBay in September of 2008, during a lull in the market, and I paid $45.44 plus shipping.

Edited by Just Bob