• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1869P 2Cent coin grading
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I found this coin while cleaning out my Mom and Dad's estate.  I am new to coin collecting and was wondering is this coin worth getting graded and if not what is the value of the coin? 

It measures 23mm and weight is 5.9 grams

1869P_obverse.jpg

1869P_reverse.jpg

I'm not sure it's genuine. Something feels wrong about the toning and the general condition of the coin. I can't say, I've never actually seen a 2 cent, so somebody more qualified would have to tell you. Only one million of these were minted, and judging from the condition of your coin it's worth around $95 if genuine. Overall, not worth sending in to get graded. You should only send a coin for grading if your sure it's worth over $100 dollars. Hopefully somebody will be able to tell you if it's a counterfeit or not. Good day.

I hope I’m wrong but to me it looks counterfeit.   
It is .3g light and a lot of detail seems missing.   
Is that the right colour or is it copper.

Looks like TPP both posted at the same time, glad we are both of the same opinion.

Edited by Greenstang

On 4/30/2024 at 2:05 PM, Greenstang said:

Hope I’m wrong but to me it looks counterfeit.   
It is .3g light and a lot of detail seems missing.   
Is that the right colour or is it copper.

Agreed. The color just seems wrong.

Agree. Something's off. With a coin that has light wear, we should be seeing WE start to wear off. Instead we get the granularity in protected areas, and that's inconsistent with the real thing.

I am not a variety collector of these, but I do have a type example.  I vote this is NOT genuine.  In addition to what is stated above, look at the right side of the wreath.  The top leaf does not seem to have the correct placement.  Genuine example below:

image.thumb.png.d7e8b032ac6ddb4bcae2b02d99025a63.png

I'm thinking the coin is real but has really been messed with. The reverse has a bit of a polished look. The different looking surfaces of the fields between the obverse and the reverse look strange. Maybe the images? The coin should look brown but again, maybe just the images and the lighting.  

Hello and welcome to the forum!

After spending some time studying your coin side by side with images of genuine examples, I have to say that I feel your coin is not genuine. I'll start on the reverse. Namely I notice the T's on the reverse do not have the same shape as a genuine example. The word AMERICA does not seem to have all of the letters at the same height as would be on a genuine example. Also, the denticles don't seem to be well formed.

On the obverse, the denticles just kind of fade out on the bottom between about 3 o'clock and 8 o'clock. One glaring thing I found on the obverse is a missing leaf on the left side of the shield under the left knob. Also the upper leaf that extends out from under the shield on the left side should extend near the bunch of leaves and have a very small gap between actually touching. On this, there is too large a gap in this area. I did not locate any known varieties to support these anomalies, and while it would normally be worth further examination, I think with the definite misshaped T's on the reverse is enough to say this is another portion of the coin which was struck from dies missing certain details and certainly not genuine.