• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible error?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

You can’t have a lamination error on a clad coin, they generally only appear on solid alloy coins.   
What you have is just damage but still worth 25 cents

On 4/29/2024 at 4:08 PM, Greenstang said:

You can’t have a lamination error on a clad coin, they generally only appear on solid alloy coins.   

... which, if you think about it, makes absolutely no sense. After all, the definition of "laminated," when referring to metals, is "composed of layers." But we call a section peeling off an alloyed coin a "delamination," while on a clad coin it is called "cladding separation" among other things. (My favorite is "clamshell.") Makes no sense to me.

Edited by Just Bob

Looks like a lot of environmental damage to the reverse. I can't tell from the photo if that is gunk or paint or some kind of glue or adhesive or epoxy on the surface of the obverse. With the condition it is presently in, it couldn't hurt to soak it in some acetone and see if those spots on the obverse actually come off or not.

I just think it is a quarter that has had a very rough life.

Edited by powermad5000

The outer layer of clad coins is composed of the same 75% copper, 25% nickel alloy of which "nickels" are composed of homogeneously. This alloy darkens to a deep red or even black color when the coin has been buried or exposed to other corrosive environments. Such environmental damage is what has occurred to this 2015-D Homestead quarter.

There are clad coins that are missing part or all of a cladding layer, usually on one side of the coin. There are even lamination errors within the outer clad layer, which doesn't expose the copper core.  See https://www.error-ref.com/?s=missing+clad+layer. This coin isn't one of them.