• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957 D Penny
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Why would you want to spend $55-60.00 having it graded.       
It is not a Doubled Die and would just come back as a regular    
circulated grade worth about a dollar Nice album coin at the best.

An uncirculated 1957-D cent is worth abut 4-cents wholesale. Your coin has been circulated and might be worth 2-cents in copper value. The "$1" mentioned above is only if you were buying one from a coin dealer.

While this is a nice pocket change find still retaining its red color, it does show circulation marks and if considered as MS it would be in the low MS range. Despite MS 60 showing in the price guides as $2.50, the reality of its value in the marketplace is considerably less due to its mintage number of 1,051,342,000. When these were released, there were many collectors who stored uncirculated rolls of these, sometimes in hoard amounts. I myself even have a full roll of these in choice BU. Therefore, plenty of choice to gem BU specimens are widely available and easily obtained at very low prices. You could buy one of these in MS 66 RD already in the slab for less than it will cost you to send this to a TPG. End conclusion being I would definitely not submit this cent for grading but rather put it in an album or keep it in a 2x2 cardboard flip.

On 4/26/2024 at 2:20 PM, ThePhiladelphiaPenny said:

Ooohhh, fun. All mine are worn out. My best is AU 50.

I was given the roll when I was a kid and started collecting coins by my Grandmother who worked at the First National Bank of Chicago. I kept the roll sealed for nearly 40 years before opening it. They are all the same date and mint. I picked one from the roll to submit and it returned MS 65 RD. I put the rest of the roll in a plastic tube and taped the end shut. That's how it will stay at least until I pass.

On 4/26/2024 at 11:30 PM, powermad5000 said:

I was given the roll when I was a kid and started collecting coins by my Grandmother who worked at the First National Bank of Chicago. I kept the roll sealed for nearly 40 years before opening it. They are all the same date and mint. I picked one from the roll to submit and it returned MS 65 RD. I put the rest of the roll in a plastic tube and taped the end shut. That's how it will stay at least until I pass.

Nice.