• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1979 P Anthony Dollars with Filled Mint Marks
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Greetings, I number of my 1979 P Anthony dollars have mint marks that barely resemble the letter "P" and more aptly resemble a blob (see photos).

Are such mint errors common? Are they valued higher than their legible "P" counterparts?

Of course, I'm not discounting the impact of rim type and overall condition re: value. Thank you. 

IMG_6303.jpg

IMG_6304.jpg

IMG_6306.jpg

IMG_6307.jpg

IMG_6308.jpg

IMG_6309.jpg

No, coins with filled mintmarks are not worth a premium due to that characteristic. Collectors generally prefer coins with clear mintmarks. The only 1979-P SBA dollar variety worth a premium is the "Wide Rim", which this coin isn't. See Anthony Dollars (1979-1999) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com).

Your 1979-P SBA dollar is circulated, appears to have been struck from worn dies, and has heavy marks on Anthony's face. It is only worth face value in this condition. 

Filled mint marks are quite common on P and D mint marks. They are known as a broken post
as the interior post breaks off from continued use. Once a post breaks, every coin struck after
that would show this so there are probably tens of thousands the same. They are also not an
error but just part of the minting process.