• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lincoln penny with major errors
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Maybe you guys can help me out- I bought this coin off an individual cause honestly i hadn’t seen anything like it before, does anyone know if there’s more with some of same errors? And how did these errors even come to be? Like two diff dates? I don’t Know much about the coin making process but it seems two diff dates wouldnt be assessable just to prevent such errors occurring. Any info or opinions would be greatly appreciated! IMG_2935.thumb.jpeg.cd6fc6922eca896d6e15c635d37ab4fa.jpegIMG_2936.thumb.jpeg.421e618b8e591cc9bd946a0dd10504d6.jpeg

Sadly, I don't think this is an error coin. Now, I know what your thinking: "What do you mean it's not an error?! It's got the image of another coin on it!", but I'll explain why.  Do you see those indents? Like the second date, or the memorial? That leads me to believe that somebody put some glue on, and pressed another coin onto it. If it was a double strike, they would NOT be indents in the coin, they would be "sticking up" from the coin like the rest of the surface. I believe they call that a "vise job"? As for the rim, it might be an error, but I think somebody just introduced it to a hammer. It's too bad you bought this. Just a regular cent that somebody modified. :( 

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Unfortunately, your 1983 cent is an example of a coin that was altered after it left the mint to superficially resemble a coin that had been multiple struck. The secondary image being backwards, incuse and having a date (1976) from some years earlier reveals it to have been squeezed between two other struck coins, likely in a vise. See https://www.error-ref.com/squeeze-job-or-vice-job-or-garage-job/.  Compare this with images of coins that were actually double struck at https://www.error-ref.com/multiple_strikes_on-center_off-center/https://www.error-ref.com/mutiple-strike-in-out-collar/https://www.error-ref.com/mulitple-strikes-flip-over/.

Mint errors are an advanced topic in numismatics (coin collecting). It is very unusual to find any coin with a significant mint error in circulation. Unless you have some knowledge about coins, including how they are made, it is easy to be deceived by fabrications like this one. If you are interested in learning about U.S. coins and how to collect them, please so advise, and we can direct you to appropriate print and online resources.

On 4/23/2024 at 3:47 PM, Haley87 said:

Maybe you guys can help me out- I bought this coin off an individual cause honestly i hadn’t seen anything like it before, does anyone know if there’s more with some of same errors? And how did these errors even come to be? Like two diff dates? I don’t Know much about the coin making process but it seems two diff dates wouldnt be assessable just to prevent such errors occurring. Any info or opinions would be greatly appreciated! IMG_2935.thumb.jpeg.cd6fc6922eca896d6e15c635d37ab4fa.jpegIMG_2936.thumb.jpeg.421e618b8e591cc9bd946a0dd10504d6.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum.

You have a mutilated cent, not an error, return the coin and get your money back if possible. 

Welcome to the forum. It is a shame to have to inform a new member that their very first post is of a coin that isn't what they thought it was, and even more of a shame to have to tell them that they have been ripped off, but that is the case here, I'm afraid. Your coin is not a mint error. As others have said, it was fabricated after it left the mint.

Level One Completed. You now have learned to not buy anything for real money that you have no idea what it is. A common beginner mistake. We all did it, everyone does in the very beginning... until they clam down, go broke or give in and decide to learn before they leap. Coins are not about making a quick buck...this rarely happens even for the savviest experienced collector.  If something seems too good to be true it usually is. Coin collecting is full of subtle nuances, detailed information sourcing, grading skills, historical knowledge, mint process and practice knowledge, key date, variety coin knowledge and error coins ...etc etc.. the list goes on and on. Take the time to get a few books on basic coin collecting and the coin minting process. This knowledge will better position you for future coin collecting or purchases. Welcome to the hobby. You are no longer a newbie you've taken one in the shorts...you're in the club now get smart enough to never let it happen again. Cheers.

I am sorry you spent good money to purchase this. It looks like a vise job to me. Seeing as the lettering of the different year cent is backwards and incuse and the lettering on the reverse is also incuse and backwards tells me someone used force to press a different cent into the surface of the host cent. It also looks like someone used the host 1983 cent in the middle between two different cents, one on each side when they crushed them together in the vise.

Sadly, this is not an error but is simply mutilation of a cent (actually three because the other cents in the vise used to press the images are typically also ruined).

You need to keep in mind just because something "looks different" that it does not automatically mean it is an error. You also have to think when viewing things such as these as to just how could that be produced in the striking of a coin. Being this had two different years of cents involved should have been a huge red flag that what you are seeing did not happen during the striking of the coin.

Error collecting is a niche in the hobby and requires much more additional knowledge than just collecting and grading of coins. You need to know all of the minting processes and how coins are made just to be able to begin to understand errors. As it seems you are newer to collecting, I don't recommend searching for error coins until you have basic collecting and grading down including being good at spotting damage, cleaning, and other coin impairments. There are bad sellers everywhere hocking stuff like what you have posted here to separate someone without proper knowledge from their money on a damaged coin. I don't know how much you actually paid and you don't have to tell us, but I sure hope it was not a lot and really hope it was not in the hundreds of dollars (or thousands) as I have found many bad sellers charging these amounts for damaged junk coins and claiming them to be errors.

Sorry to see this lesson separated you from good money.

On 4/24/2024 at 3:10 PM, Greenstang said:

It would be hard for anyone with even slight knowledge of the minting process to disagree with this one.

Very true. I find it sad that there are people selling these modified/mutilated/damaged coins. It's important to do your research first, otherwise you will need to much out who you buy from... ¬¬