• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1799 silver dollar Authentication help.
1 1

6 posts in this topic

My grandmother had a recent estate sale and I came across this coin I know nothing about coin collecting or selling or grading I just want an honest opinion before I take my time to take it to any store and embarrass myself whether it's authentic or not I'm not concerned about the worth and if it could be added to someone's collection regardless even better I just really don't know how to gauge it completely by myself the condition is hit or miss and as far as I can tell everything is where it should be except for the worn parts on the back where the eagle is there with some sort of inscription there but I can't see it anymore and I could be machinery error or just wear and tear but other than that for as far as I can tell being complete noob it seems authentic but I don't know what exactly that would be looking for and I don't want to embarrass myself and I'm sorry if there's a posted in the wrong area just really need help just based upon what you can see that I will be wasting my time or not... For anyone collecting LOL thank you and appreciate your time in advance and again sorry this is Miscatorgorized or if I put something incorrectly it's my first post

IMG_20240423_123817767.jpg

IMG_20240423_123742573_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20240423_123749313.jpg

Edited by Zenprecious
Added tags

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Unfortunately, what you have is a crude counterfeit of a 1799 Draped Bust silver dollar. Large numbers of such bogus pieces have been produced overseas in recent decades, and some are older than that. For comparison, here are images of a genuine example, now graded VF 35 by NGC:

1799dollarobv..thumb.jpg.88af18b5441a968f0c171e99d8392fc8.jpg

1799dollarrev..thumb.jpg.2fbce56f027fbe46aa934a58595475c4.jpg

Agree with Sandon, it is just one of the many counterfeits for sale. You see them on Etsy quite often.   
It would be hard for me to believe that a 225 year old dollar still retained all it’s original shine.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I literally only took one second to look at your coin and the crazy shine and the date numerals misshapen and touching the rim told me right there you have a counterfeit coin. While sometimes some of the counterfeits that come across the forum here can be quite deceptive and it takes some looking into to determine from a photo what the OP has, this coin is not one of those. There are outstanding and glaring differences between yours and a genuine example.

And no worries really. You came to the right place to have people look at what you have and give you an honest assessment. Most of us here have been at it in the hobby for a long time we are all volunteers here who try to help people.